401k returns

oldngray

nowhere special
It's definitely not the bottom but my good companies with strong balance sheets are also getting killed.

I'm not trying to time the market but I am looking for long term opportunities
There will be a significant lag before products from China return to previous levels. A lot of containers sitting on the docks there and will take weeks (or months) to get caught back up.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
And how long before the factories start producing again?

MAGA. bring some of those jobs back to the USA
China's economy is a dumpster fire that no amount of currency manipulation will fix.

I expect a lot of infrastructure spending as stimulus, same for here if we go full blown recession. Thinking about dropping some cash into an industrials etf next week as a safe play.

China's economy is a dumpster fire that no amount of currency manipulation will fix.

I expect a lot of infrastructure spending as stimulus, same for here if we go full blown recession. Thinking about dropping some cash into an industrials etf next week as a safe play.
What about healthcare? If it's coronavirus it's a lot bigger is a big demand for healthcare Washington State and everyone that supplies them.

Heavy Package

upload_2020-2-29_14-16-8.jpeg

I want free everything! Free same day shipping too dammit! YOU pay for it all of your FT top pay rich greedy drivers!

Heavy Package

and they only have 200 test kits.
If only there were a company that could transport kits from one region to another and do it by sometime the next day.
Man. That company could make some money.

Better send it FedEx. Ours would be late and the test kit would expire by the time we found the lost trailer in the yard.

Raw

Raw Member
if the stock market rebounds with you on the sidelines you will not recoup your losses. it depends on your risk factor. if you are 75 years old I would agree taking less risk but if you are a lot younger think long term. this is just an emotional reaction.

corona virus has only infected 15000 ( so far ) . the flu has infected 24,000,000 this year and has had a ton more deaths.
I was out before the correction, did not lose anything!

The Driver

I drive.
And this is what a buying opportunity feels like.
Everyone wants to buy things on sale, except stocks.

I maxed out my Roth 401(k) last night after market close. Figure I got about a 12% discount. Now I've cranked my 401(k) at work up to as high as it'll go. If it keeps going down, oh well. The earlier the money is in the markets the better it is for me anyway.

The Driver

I drive.
I was out before the correction, did not lose anything!

But remember in order for your scheme to work you have to get lucky twice. You'd need to wait until the market is even lower and then buy back in. But the question is always, will it go lower from Friday's close? It may not. It could. But it might not ever be this low again.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
But remember in order for your scheme to work you have to get lucky twice. You'd need to wait until the market is even lower and then buy back in. But the question is always, will it go lower from Friday's close? It may not. It could. But it might not ever be this low again.
Nobody can time the market again and again. Even Warren Buffet doesn't try.

Dollar cost averaging on the otherhand works. You buy less shares when the market is high and more shares when the market is low. Even going up and down over and over and ending inthe same spot makes you a ton of money.

Alamo Joe

Got all mine in the Bright Horizon 2035 . I know nothing about the stock market. From what I read this particular fund is suited for folks such as myself. If y’all have suggestions I’m all ears.