46 CHEMA pkg drivers laid off

browniehound

Thanks Cove and Over, I figured most people hate. Its just that I see guys reading the paper a lot and now at least 1 driver who chooses it over package. At the same time I might go out of my mind and start drinking lots of coffee and smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day if I was stuck in that thing all day.

As for the guy who started in '64, I think that's unbelivable. Both of my parents were in 8th grade in 1964!

upsgrunt

I was 2 years from conception. Why would that person still be on the job after 45 years. Wouldn't they make more money by retiring and getting another job?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Thanks Cove and Over, I figured most people hate. Its just that I see guys reading the paper a lot and now at least 1 driver who chooses it over package. At the same time I might go out of my mind and start drinking lots of coffee and smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day if I was stuck in that thing all day.

As for the guy who started in '64, I think that's unbelivable. Both of my parents were in 8th grade in 1964!
I know that guy Brownie!!!! I was 2 months old when he got hired lol lol lol

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was 2 years from conception. Why would that person still be on the job after 45 years. Wouldn't they make more money by retiring and getting another job?

I dont think you can work anywhere else and collect the pension. isnt mr ******** already collecting the pension and ss, anyone know how that works?

Last edited by a moderator:

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order

It's funny this came up, I work in the same building as this particular shifter driver, really really nice guy, great attitude and very kind. Not to mention funny as hell, and as luck would have it I was talking to the 3rd guy down on the seniority list in feeders 2 days ago and this shifter driver was clocking off, me and this driver were discussing why someone would continue to work for so many years after reaching retirement requirements and the shifter driver said " retire! RETIRE! I'll retire when I'm dead" LOL
He really loves his job!:wink2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You can draw a full pension and still continue to work. Thats what Marty Peters is/was doing. 60+ years has this guy beat.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
8 more from package inside this week. I can't wait to get back on the road... 7 weeks inside the building is enough so far. Haven't slept for more than 3-4 hrs a night since getting forced back inside. But with almost 400 routes, it's not looking good.

over9five

Staff member
UPDATE

All 10 Feeder drivers who were laid off/bumped to other operations, have been called back to Feeders for June to be vacation cover.

So I'm guessing bids will be posted to fill the jobs that they took in the other operations?

JonFrum

We can draw a full pension but are limited to 40 hours per month if we choose to work.
Pension funds usually have (unjust) rules that limit how many hours you can work and what type of work you can do in retirement.

But The Law says that when you reach age 71 or so, the fund has to pay you your full monthly pension --- even if you don't want it. And you can work anywhere, for as many hours as you wish while collecting your pension. And if you work for an employer who contributes to your pension fund on your behalf (like UPS), the monthly pension you collect while still working will increase every year reflecting the new contributions.

helenofcalifornia

Wouldn't they just be calling people back in from layoff? We still have quite a few PTers and drivers laid off that need to get back to work. Kinds surprises me since I work at a small operation. Wonder if it's the same at bigger ops.

brownboxman

Sorry I havent read every post, but where the heck is CHEMA? I really dont like UPS-ese. Why not just put where you are from? They told us here in SALOR that there would be 15 drivers laid off after the first of the year the most so far on any given day 6-7. We have 70 on the list. And oh yeah Salem, Or.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Boxman CHEMA is in Chelmsford Mass.. UPS does this for all buildings for the most part.They use the first three letters of the city & first two letters of the state.For example Portland Maine,, PORME Hartford Ct HARCT !! They have been doing this for years.. Hope this helps!!!!!