cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This is what I mean. UPS has no business hiring such people for this position. They'd never hire such a person for a permanent pkg handling position but hire anyone they can find for helpers. I understand this reality that UPS has a hard time finding people to come aboard for a month and little money. I wish the applicant would be honest with themselves in what they are applying for. LIFTING and walking with potentially heavy pkgs all day.

Trust me. If you drive long enough, you will have worse helpers.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
This is what I mean. UPS has no business hiring such people for this position. They'd never hire such a person for a permanent pkg handling position but hire anyone they can find for helpers. I understand this reality that UPS has a hard time finding people to come aboard for a month and little money. I wish the applicant would be honest with themselves in what they are applying for. LIFTING and walking with potentially heavy pkgs all day.
Just jumping in here, my helper is early twenties male, he has a hard time with heavy/bulk deliveries. I just do them myself and tell him to take a break, he appreciates it and hustles with the light packages.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yup. Just going to be a tough peak for me. I have a helper that I have to leave at the PC and walk the pkg off myself because it weighs 40 lbs. Fun stuff!

Drop her with some light stuff while you get the heavier stuff. Teach her how to sort.

Do not just let a helper sit while you are working.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Cuz they will screw it up.

Asked my helper to sort and find 20 packages for one stop on the 1000 shelf and to move them to the empty 3000 shelf while I ran off 2 stops across the street. Came back 2 minutes later and he had found two of the 20. That was the last time I asked him to sort.

You can get them "up to speed" on the DIAD in less than a day, yet you can't teach them how to sort?

JL 0513

I don't have my helpers do anything other than walk off pkgs. It's more hassle than it is help. This includes Diad use. Especially since I'm not in the city, so no need.

My best helper was a 62yo retired boeing worker, he kicked ass. My worst was a 72yo retired principal/mayer. Spent too much time catching up with the consignees.

JL 0513

My best helper was a 62yo retired boeing worker, he kicked ass. My worst was a 72yo retired principal/mayer. Spent too much time catching up with the consignees.

See, that's just ridiculous. 72? There's a reason drivers generally retire by their late 50's.

See, that's just ridiculous. 72? There's a reason drivers generally retire by their late 50's.
I know, but the company is paying them, not me. This year I got my 1st helper Monday. Had a new guy each day. I'm tired of training everyday. They really should be taught at what pace they should be moving before going on car.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How do you tell an older lady to her face that she is slowing you down because she can't walk fast and lift heavier pkgs? She can't change those abilities anyway.
You dont.
If she is working safely and to the best of her ability, then its the company's problem not yours. They chose to hire her, therefore they choose to accept her limitations. Do the best you can and let the company make the necessary adjustments to the dispatch. Or not. You will work 60 hours for the next 3 weeks regardless of how good or bad your helper is.

MC0493

I like the helper i've been getting, they give me a helper board and paperwork each day and then message me around 1230 saying they can't find one. I'm a good helper to myself, but we're not quite good enough for 219 stops in a 700 and 130 miles.