5 seeing habits

browned out

We had a feeder driver who was discharged for not knowing 5 seeing habits 10 point commentary. I guess it was for not working as directed.

Anyhow he had 30 plus years in and retirement papers submitted. He probably figured 30+ years of being f__ked by Big Brown; he would throw a little back at em. Needless to say he was reinstated and then retired.

Center Managers do receive bonuses on how well their centers do in these Ketter audits. We are always pre warned of these audits via 2way or pcm. If they wanted a true audit; wouldn't it be more productive to have no one know they are coming? Ketter is just a huge waste of money for about 20 years now.

Channahon

Ketter names about 3 operations within a region that will audited. No one knows until the auditors show up which operation is chosen. HR usually speculates and lets the district know, based on the last audit performed in the district. That's why the word is sent out, to make sure everyone is ready. Personally, I think everyone ought to be ready at all times, not just when auditors may show up.

I agree with you, they are a waste of money and time.

P

Pissedexemployee

I wouldn't recommend anyone working part time for UPS. I was a driver for a winter season. They told me I was doing excellent. After 1 week alone, I had 180 stops. That's a lot. Then they would make me pick up more packages from fulltimers. They told me a fulltime job was in the bag. They said I'd be working Christmas eve for no more than 2 hours. 6 1/2 hours later, I finished late on a route I had NO CLUE WHERE I WAS. The map wasn't even correct.
Needless to say, they didn't offer me a job. They kept my union dues AS A PART TIMER. I highly recommend anyone considering starting off working for them that they shove everything the floor manager says up his ### and take your time. You're working under false pretenses. Screw em'

Fnix

I get asked everyday sometimes twice on the 8 keys to lifting and lowering and the other BS. I know it all %100 by now and they still quiz me. It annoys the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: out of me when I'm trying to work and they are distracting me and I cant think right.

I asked my supe what he gets out of all this and he says he has to quiz 3 people a day or he wont get a raise.

tieguy

Banned
Anyhow he had 30 plus years in and retirement papers submitted. He probably figured 30+ years of being f__ked by Big Brown; he would throw a little back at em. Needless to say he was reinstated and then retired.

I'm sure glad you blocked out the "uck" So no one would be offended.I suppose a less graphic word would not have worked?

Center Managers do receive bonuses on how well their centers do in these Ketter audits.

Center managers do not get bonus they do get their jobs threatened and they do get demotions when their people do not know the information.

UPS Lifer

Tie
Where do these guys hear this crap about getting bonuses for passing audits? It still amazes me the disinformation that is spread around!!! One person says it and everyone else believes it! I do remember a division manager losing his division because it failed a Ketter audit. I can remember quite a few managers in the same boat.

I stood right along side one of the main auditors (while he was asking questions) and he was just looking to see if the person could verbalize the concept. He was never looking for a word for word answer. In fact if he thinks that the person who is being asked the question does not understand the concept ... he may probe for more detail. He is not looking for memorization ...he is looking for DOK or "Depth Of Knowledge".
Has this changed?

As a manager or supervisor of an operation - if you document all training and you personally train the folks that need the most help, you should never have to worry about failing an audit. Your motto should be "audit ready all the time". Now I know this sounds simple...I know it isn't!. I was a manager 15 YEARS before I figured it out!! I would always burn the midnight oil when I suspected an audit was coming! I finally put checks & balances in place to make sure that I would pass any audit that came. Once I did that my anxiety level diminished to about 20% of what it was before.

trouble maker

any body been told they are subject to disciplinary action if that cant recite the 5 seeing habits,ten point commentary,8 steps to lift/lower,5 steps to avoid slip/fall injuries and 6 rules of backing.has to be 100 percent word for word and in order in front of bm and safety people. been hearing this a lot lately in our bulding.
Just be polite when asked. If you don't know them all, don't worry about it. No disciplinary action can be taken against you.

wyobill

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I'm sure glad you blocked out the "uck" So no one would be offended.I suppose a less graphic word would not have worked?

Center Managers do receive bonuses on how well their centers do in these Ketter audits.

Center managers do not get bonus they do get their jobs threatened and they do get demotions when their people do not know the information.
They also get sent down the road as our center manager did. He had 25 yrs with UPS. Brown also sent another 25+ year center manager packing after failing a
saftey audit. Why dont they just fire all of us.

M

MR Experience

They can make you read whatever the hell they want but we still
1. Have to work in 120 degree package cars in the middle of the summer and keep bulk head door closed at all times.
2. List oversize over weight and improper packages.
3. Get in and out of the truck 250 plus times wearing down your joints while carrying packages.2 foot steps on p1000 lol
4. Drive in zero degree weather and work in a foot of snow( but they will pull you in the building for safety reasons at 7pm((no exceptions) lol
5. Have you ever seen all the diesel fumes when everyone leaves the bldg?
(oh wait, they stagger the start times) lol
6. Icestorm - no big deal, they supply iceshoes lol what about the truck?
I could go on but its time to hit the showers.

IF you do not like it QUIT.....save your life and let those of us around you who are strong enough to move ahead do so.........stop clogging up the seniority list!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If the company spent 10 percent of the time and effort on customer service that they waste on useless safety questions we wouldn't be getting our butts kicked more and more by the competition. Safety is pounded down our throats so much that nobody is even listening. We are the only trucking company in America with vehicles without power steering. Put your money where your mouth is or shut the hell up. Games,contests, audits and threats do not make the the boxes smaller, lighter or the pace slower. Face the facts. Stop talking about safety and and make the job safer. Take more time away and put in more pathetic technology and keep increasing the workload. That's my rant. Done BM

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If the company spent 10 percent of the time and effort on customer service that they waste on useless safety questions we wouldn't be getting our butts kicked more and more by the competition. Safety is pounded down our throats so much that nobody is even listening. We are the only trucking company in America with vehicles without power steering. Put your money where your mouth is or shut the hell up. Games,contests, audits and threats do not make the the boxes smaller, lighter or the pace slower. Face the facts. Stop talking about safety and and make the job safer. Take more time away and put in more pathetic technology and keep increasing the workload. That's my rant. Done BM

absolutely right. I guess management never received the memo that said, "happy drivers are more productive drivers." If ups could get the cocky, ego, hardass, " im going to fire you" attitude to go somewhere else, this company would be unstopable.This is one of the hardest companies to work for on america, across the board, across all job functions, maybe its time to try something new, its been 100 years, lets try something new....positive employee relations for both mgt and hourly, hey, thats an idea!

Brownnblue

IF you do not like it QUIT.....save your life and let those of us around you who are strong enough to move ahead do so.........stop clogging up the seniority list!

Translation: I don't have the people skills to respond to your complaints. Perhaps if I put the quit line on the table, it will strike a basic nerve and he will go away.

Brownnblue

You have to admit if you break down it is information that is helpfull to driving and working safely?

Yes, it is. But I don't think that is the problem. The issue is how this information is passed down to the driver. Does anyone honestly think that the fear & intimidation approach (learn it or else) is going to give a driver the conceptual skills from said information. Isn't that the goal. The "let's go over at a PCM" approach is a failure also. To try to pass all of this information along at this time when the driver's thoughts are on all of the problems of the day ahead is not productive.

Why can't the drivers have a eight hour day devoted just to a classroom environment to explain this information and other aspects of the company? With a real teacher, not a center manager. Good for morale, good for learning driving and company concepts, good for something else better than this rote memorization.

alexfo7o

So it doesn't matter if you've never been involved in an avoidable accident, nor had an injury, but you are obviously an unsafe employee and should be disciplined and maybe fired because you can't recite their pablum by rote with all footnotes?

Actually I disagree: Because i can't do that. However I do use them from my own lifting and lowering and walking perspective I do try to do it how they say..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Given time and an adequate supply of crackers, you can train a parakeet to recite the 10 point commentary. In UPS's eyes, that parakeet is now a safe driver. In the real world, maybe not. Perhaps we should just train some parakeets to recite the commentary for the Keter auditors. It would be a win/win for everyone...the "Safety Committee" could make easy money feeding the parakeets, the parakeets would get fat and happy, the Keter auditors would get to mark "100%" on their clipboards, and those of us who are actually going out in the real world and getting the packages delivered would be spared the irritation of having to continually recite stupid acronyms in exchange for muffins.

DS

Fenderbender
Given time and an adequate supply of crackers, you can train a parakeet to recite the 10 point commentary. In UPS's eyes, that parakeet is now a safe driver. In the real world, maybe not. Perhaps we should just train some parakeets to recite the commentary for the Keter auditors. It would be a win/win for everyone...the "Safety Committee" could make easy money feeding the parakeets, the parakeets would get fat and happy, the Keter auditors would get to mark "100%" on their clipboards, and those of us who are actually going out in the real world and getting the packages delivered would be spared the irritation of having to continually recite stupid acronyms in exchange for muffins.
YOU GET MUFFINS!
geez all we get is coffee and dounuts...
good points all sober,but what if you got fired for not knowing them?
sure you may get your job back but at what cost? its easier to learn them.parakeets may be a bad analogy,they look left right left all the time.
I guess they figure you will retain most of it and it will decrease accidents.If they push us on it,I will memorize it.very creative post though :)

over10.5

Our on road supervisors were passing out " Safety by choice not by chance" papers that we were to sign. Promising that we would learn word for word 5 seeing habbits, 10 point commentary, 8 keys for lifting and lowering. I didnt sign mine. Told my supervisor that I wanted to talk with my union stewart before signing the paper. He said I was being childish and wrote on my rts ( refused to sign) This is our management for you. Havent heard a word yet.. Union steward said dont worry about it. Im against it.. waste of my time. After a long day at work Im not going to go home and study .. Come ride with me see my habbits.