70 HOS exemption for vehicles under 10k LBS

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If all I had to retire on was $22k a year, I would consider my work career a total failure. I am sure you have plenty of free time because $1800 a month isn't gonna allow you to spend money doing much. Didn't you save any money or do any retirement planning?
He'd be happy to tell you, but today is National None Of Your Business Day.

falcon back

He'd be happy to tell you, but today is National None Of Your Business Day.
Someone working all their life and having to live on $22k a year in retirement kind of says it all. No planning and no savings. Maybe he could write a book. "How NOT To Plan For Retirement" He could use the proceeds to help live in retirement and not have to count pesos to survive.

vantexan

Someone working all their life and having to live on $22k a year in retirement kind of says it all. No planning and no savings. Maybe he could write a book. "How NOT To Plan For Retirement" He could use the proceeds to help live in retirement and not have to count pesos to survive.
I made the mistake of quitting in '97 because of frustration over lack of raises. Making $13.50hr when I quit even though I had been a topped out courier for 7 years. I made the further mistake of coming back in late '98 instead of going into trucking. But I did get a pension out of it, reduced as it was.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm the leader? Wow, I'm honored!! Had no idea! No, I complain about the screwing over tens of thousands received while FedEx would tell us how much they cared. And you defend that. But now, for better or worse, I'm trying to make the most of it as a retiree. My $22k a year plus freedom is better to me than whatever you make. Because no matter what you make you are tied to it. They own you. Not to mention I've figured out where to live in world class scenery and still save money while not sacrificing. Sometimes less is more because it requires you to come up with solutions. So thank you FedEx, couldn't have done it without you!

Interesting. How do you support yourself and a wife on $22k?

59 Dano

I'm headed to Argentina as soon as it reopens. Argentina is going through an economic crisis that might take decades to work through. They have something unique going on. They have their official exchange rate, and they have what's known as the blue rate. The blue rate is what they're willing to pay for U.S. Dollars(even more for Euros or Pounds). Western Union started last year giving a little bit under under the blue rate if you send money to yourself from your U.S. bank account using your debit card. Right now $1000 sent to you by Western Union will give you about $1670 worth of Pesos at the official exchange rate. That makes Argentina even cheaper than India for Americans and Europeans. Why do they want our money? Their Peso is eroding quickly and the Dollar holds its value by comparison. Imagine if you are trying to save in Argentina and in a year your Pesos lose half their value. American expats are their doing this right now and as you can imagine are very happy. Covid-19 threw a curve into my plans, but hopefully before the year is out they'll be reopened. I'm taking Social Security at 62. I'll be able to put my FedEx pension into savings plus part of my SS. Should allow at least $28k in annual savings for 5 years until my FedEx pension drops way down. Argentina is almost as big as India but with only about 44 million people. Has parts to it that are stunningly beautiful. Look up Argentina Lakes District. And Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet is supposed to go worldwide in 2021. 600 mbps+ with low latency. Will have great internet plus American tv there so in my apartment it's a little slice of America. And before anyone reams me my wife is staying in the States until her daughter gets through college. She wants me to get started on this as soon as possible and will join me when we both get our SS. I've looked at a lot of places, have been to some very cheap countries, never have seen anything like this. And Argentina has a middle class. It's more a developed nation with serious financial problems than a developing nation that's seriously lacking in many areas. And violent crime wise is safer than the U.S. It's not perfect, but it is an opportunity that rarely comes along.

Good grief.

59 Dano

My $22k there is comparable easily to $80k in the States.

That's a lot of moving parts that have to all move in the right directions at the right times and everything has to fall into place, and the prize is that you get to live in a country with a screwball economy and they can screw you like you've never been screwed before.

When we first started taking our trips to Vegas, we did coupon runs. This was before the 2 guys who are heavy gamblers were heavy gamblers and got the sweet deals that we all benefit from. There were all these coupon books and pamphlets that had offers of free play, cheap/free food, and other stuff. We'd hog up a bunch of them and run all over town redeeming them. Turns out it was a lot easier to toss nearly all of the coupons and just do what we wanted instead of trying to stretch our money to silly lengths.

vantexan

That's a lot of moving parts that have to all move in the right directions at the right times and everything has to fall into place, and the prize is that you get to live in a country with a screwball economy and they can screw you like you've never been screwed before.

When we first started taking our trips to Vegas, we did coupon runs. This was before the 2 guys who are heavy gamblers were heavy gamblers and got the sweet deals that we all benefit from. There were all these coupon books and pamphlets that had offers of free play, cheap/free food, and other stuff. We'd hog up a bunch of them and run all over town redeeming them. Turns out it was a lot easier to toss nearly all of the coupons and just do what we wanted instead of trying to stretch our money to silly lengths.
Man there are thousands of American expats in Argentina doing exactly what I posted. The only thing I have to do is be there to get my money from Western Union. I won't be working, will be renting an all inclusive Airbnb. Nothing fancy. $500 sent to me by Western Union will more than cover my monthly expenses. This is no get rich quick scheme. It's living affordably while my savings build up back in the States.

floridays

Think about it like this, they're important.
Exactly what is their importance flying empty aircraft around?
What's sad about it? Those guys are the ones that make the company go.
Only when they are flying aircraft with freight.

If no freight makes it to the ramp, they go empty.

If freight makes it to the ramp, but is not loaded..... they go empty.

If you don't do your job for a day, screw it a week, will the circle be unbroken?

floridays

I appreciate you trying to make the point that commercial pilots are among the most important employees, if not THE most important employees, in the company... but no one disputes that.
He didn't try to make any point, he was clear and precise

vantexan said:
No, it's sad they're important and you're not. There there.

Pilots= important
59 Dano= not

@vantexan was very clear.

I guess some aren't smart enough to assess exactly why you value your "contribution" as vital as you do.