70 HOS exemption for vehicles under 10k LBS

floridays

Your paranoia is showing its ugly self again. You actually think Express will be contractor ran in the near future? You keep making observations about Express but dont work there. Strange
If they can, they will. I should say, when they can they will.
Have some patience, how old are you?
I hope for your sake you didn't just sign on.

AB831

" I wouldn't work anywhere I didn't like" The "didn't like" may be closer than you think. Take a look around at the changing face of Express. A steady conversion to all part timers, zero benefits, no guaranteed minimums. . Your pay progression slowing to a crawl. Cuts made to full timer medical plans with higher deductibles. That's the new Express. But then again you're one of those people who will forever love Fat Freddy no matter what what he does to you.
Why did I ever have an issue with you? No one sees this company for what it actually is as clearly as you do.

It will be fine

What a do know is a deflection of blame when it see one. And this is DEFINITELY a blame defection. Granted,it is to a limit extent but to serve as a corporate whipping boy to be a convenient place to park all the blame are two of the reasons for the creation of you multi route so called "entrepreneurs". Nevertheless, your employment practices are in the end yours and no one elses regardless of the operational and economic pressures placed on you by Fat Freddy.
So employment practices of contractors are varied and up to each contractor’s discretion, but they aren’t really running a business and all decisions are made by FedEx? Cool consistent logic you have there. Why chime in on topics you clearly don’t understand?

floridays

I didn't say that. What I'm saying to you is that as a nonunion "at will " employee that company can do just about anything they want to you and there ain't damn thing you can do about it. And therefore there's nothing that can stop Express from adopting some if not many of the work practices currently in play at Ground.
The option is to vote with your feet.

I'm not promoting that, just offering it as the only option.

I think all Express workers should sit in their vehicles on a chosen day and refuse to cross the threshold. You will have their attention like no 2x4 has ever made up side the head.

I'm not a leftist either, sometimes you just have to get a persons attention.

floridays

So employment practices of contractors are varied and up to each contractor’s discretion, but they aren’t really running a business and all decisions are made by FedEx? Cool consistent logic you have there. Why chime in on topics you clearly don’t understand?
As long as you toe the line that has been drawn, you are correct, do as you may with your business.

Can you hire someone, in a driving position, for your business off the road today?

Why or why not?
I

bacha29

Once again, you are making observations about Express that you know nothing about. Part timers have FULL benefits minus disability pay and the same minimums as always. You need to research before you make misinformed post. Part timers and full timers still have minimums, insurance and MOST of the same benefits. Since you dont work at Express, you might want to stay away from those discussions.
Haven't been over to the job boards lately have you old fart? They are loaded with Fedex Express part time zero benefit driver jobs. Granted in among many dozens of these PT no benefit openings you might see one or two FT's but they are out numbered by the PT no benefits by a very wide margin.
Here's the problem with them. You won't make enough to survive on that 17 hours a week but you are still encumbered if not out and out burdened with having to be available to work whatever day of week and hour of day they demand as well as having to wait and see just what those days and hours are going to be.

And given the transformation to all or nearly all PT workforce the chances for getting full time will continue to diminish as well.

bbsam

Staff member
What a do know is a deflection of blame when it see one. And this is DEFINITELY a blame defection. Granted,it is to a limit extent but to serve as a corporate whipping boy to be a convenient place to park all the blame are two of the reasons for the creation of you multi route so called "entrepreneurs". Nevertheless, your employment practices are in the end yours and no one elses regardless of the operational and economic pressures placed on you by Fat Freddy.
Corporate?!? Damn. You really don’t get it. Much higher. Think of a system that somehow deemed art supply workers as “essential”. Think about that for a while and reconsider if you think anyone really gives a damn if some drivers work 70 hours a week. Think about how long you’ve been spouting off about the evils of Ground and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED TO FIX IT! You spoke of reality. Start living in it.

bbsam

Staff member
Because it’s wiser to lay the groundwork for the next phase of your career while still getting an income rather than just walkIng out and having to take the first job you can find.
But they’ve been complaining for years. There is no plan.

bacha29

Corporate?!? Damn. You really don’t get it. Much higher. Think of a system that somehow deemed art supply workers as “essential”. Think about that for a while and reconsider if you think anyone really gives a damn if some drivers work 70 hours a week. Think about how long you’ve been spouting off about the evils of Ground and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED TO FIX IT! You spoke of reality. Start living in it.
Once again you're deflecting. Placing blame for the rapidly deteriorating daily work experience on anybody you think you could hang it on and make it stick. YOU are the employer. The quality of the employment YOU offer speaks volumes about YOU the person.

If you're confident that you will be able to meet your future manpower needs in the face of a growing public awareness surrounding the rapidly deteriorating working conditions at Ground......fine. But if you can't who are you going to blame?

bacha29

It’s a corporation. It’s purpose is to make a profit. The problems arise when workers expect it to care about them.
If the corporation doesn't care about them......that's fine. But don't be surprised if the performance you get from them is nowhere near what you expected from them.

As long as that industry remains heavily dependent on human involvement it will never be able to detach itself from the human aspects of the industry, the goals it has set for itself and it's total dependence on human life forms to achieve those goals.

bbsam

Staff member
Once again you're deflecting. Placing blame for the rapidly deteriorating daily work experience on anybody you think you could hang it on and make it stick. YOU are the employer. The quality of the employment YOU offer speaks volumes about YOU the person.

If you're confident that you will be able to meet your future manpower needs in the face of a growing public awareness surrounding the rapidly deteriorating working conditions at Ground......fine. But if you can't who are you going to blame?
Let me make this very simple for you. The US does not value labor. It is a means to an end. A necessary evil.

Until that changes, nothing changes.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Haven't been over to the job boards lately have you old fart? They are loaded with Fedex Express part time zero benefit driver jobs. Granted in among many dozens of these PT no benefit openings you might see one or two FT's but they are out numbered by the PT no benefits by a very wide margin.
Here's the problem with them. You won't make enough to survive on that 17 hours a week but you are still encumbered if not out and out burdened with having to be available to work whatever day of week and hour of day they demand as well as having to wait and see just what those days and hours are going to be.

And given the transformation to all or nearly all PT workforce the chances for getting full time will continue to diminish as well.
Unless something just changed, PT’ers get benefits, and the guarantee is 17.5 hours a week. Most of those PT positions are held by self employed workers, for the benefits. Many are college students.

vantexan

One affects the other. It's a package deal. I know I wouldn't work anywhere I didnt like. As far as management. I would never leave a job because of a manager. They will be gone at some point.
Managerial decisions encompasses everything company wise, not just your immediate mgr. I had some great mgrs, and others absolutely mind numbingly bad. But I'm also talking about company decisions concerning pay and retirement. I still enjoyed the work, hated what they were doing to us financially. But there were periods, including right now, where one had to just grin and bear it because it might be difficult replacing the job with the current crisis.