705 and 710 forced to accept contract.

BuckyBadger

If the union had the best interests of its members at heart, they'd take out any language about how many people vote and simply leave it as a majority rules vote.

What will happen now nationally is the next contract, even less people will vote because they have been told, for better or worse, that their vote does not count, even when they are a majority.

Those that care, vote. That should be who the Union cares about, and builds policy around.

I don't care if 100 people vote nationally...their majority decision should be what rules. But that would preclude all the non-voting part timers from performing as expected by UPS, and now likewise...the Teamsters.

specter208

If the union had the best interests of its members at heart, they'd take out any language about how many people vote and simply leave it as a majority rules vote.

What will happen now nationally is the next contract, even less people will vote because they have been told, for better or worse, that their vote does not count, even when they are a majority.

Those that care, vote. That should be who the Union cares about, and builds policy around.

I don't care if 100 people vote nationally...their majority decision should be what rules. But that would preclude all the non-voting part timers from performing as expected by UPS, and now likewise...the Teamsters.
I voted no.

BuckyBadger

Me too, my friend, unfortunately your vote is... Meaningless. Just like mine. Although when 710 gets above 50% voting, the reasons will be at least a little more interesting to see explained...

Re-Raise

Union was passing out “I voted” pins at my center tonight. He asked if you voted yet, and out of the 10 people he asked while I was standing there, I was the only one who had voted. Unbelievable!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Will never happen.

We elected the Union and gave them the power to negotiate on our behalf.

They will never, and should never, let a minority of the membership decide for the entire membership.

I know the majority didn't vote, but the IBT Constitution protects us from the voting minority and leaves the decision to the Union that we elected to represent us.

cachmeifucan

Because it only benefits employees that work 30 years full time and .70 raise is a joke that doesn't keep up with inflation. .70 equals 28 for dollars a week. Before taxes and dues going up. Ups just got a huge tax break.

Staydryitsraining

Next contract we wont have this pos union president we have now. From what I heard the guy who will probably be elected has a pair of balls.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am so glad I'm retired. Just think how bad the next contract will be with UPS knowing the union will force anything with less than a 50 percent vote.

Thank TDU for that.... and the late (great) Ron Carey.

They are the ones who compromised, on that being put into the IBT Constitution.

BuckyBadger

Will never happen.

We elected the Union and gave them the power to negotiate on our behalf.

They will never, and should never, let a minority of the membership decide for the entire membership.

I know the majority didn't vote, but the IBT Constitution protects us from the voting minority and leaves the decision to the Union that we elected to represent us.
then this is where we are.

In a Union few trust to negotiate properly on their behalf, and at their behest. This is the world that has been created.

Waldo

Everyone should always vote no even if the contract was excellent. The worst that could happen is they go back to the table and get a better deal. They aren’t gonna get a worse deal. It’s just common sense, but people just vote yes because they want their retro checks now which is stupid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
then this is where we are.

In a Union few trust to negotiate properly on their behalf, and at their behest. This is the world that has been created.

And this is the real issue.

The issue is not allowing a minority of the membership (1/5) to pass a contract that our elected officials negotiated and recommended.

So, if we feel that the Union did not negotiate on our behalf, then we need to replace them.

Maybe this is a sort of call to arms to get members to vote in the next election.....

I doubt it though.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And this is the real issue.

The issue is not allowing a minority of the membership (1/5) to pass a contract that our elected officials negotiated and recommended.

So, if we feel that the Union did not negotiate on our behalf, then we need to replace them.

Maybe this is a sort of call to arms to get members to vote in the next election.....

I doubt it though.

I know, I'm quoting myself.

I meant to say the issue is not about allowing a minority (1/5) of the membership to reject a contract that our elected officials negotiated and recommended.

The issue is why, if they didn't, negotiate with our best interests in mind.

For those who feel they didn't, vote them out.