9.5 language got worst for cover drivers!!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Surepost and 11-12 hour days.....is the reason why at my center we have part timers that have been waiting 6-7 years to go fulltime. The stops and volume are there, its just we give it away and run the drivers like dogs.

I bet the average wait to go fulltime went from 4 years to 6.

If you did not have Surepost there would be less driver positions and much less part-timers and you would closer to the bottom of the seniority list.
10-11 hour driver days are a factor no doubt.

SouthernComfort

If you did not have Surepost there would be less driver positions and much less part-timers and you would closer to the bottom of the seniority list.
If we did NOT have sure post we would have more driving positions, we had all the sure post volume before giving it to usps. Do you have any idea how many people stop me a week and say "it shows my pkg was delivered today at the post office, why is that?" Keep in mind, Im in front of their house and the package they are referring to I dropped off at the post office 3 hours prior.... How do I explain to them that they will get it tomorrow? All the little boxes of contact lenses, coffee, and small amazon packages I drop off at the PO. Yesterday, I delivered 77 pieces to the post office...keep in mind that the BAG of smalls counts as 1 piece, I had roughly 60pkgs, and 17 bags(with 10boxes in each) thats 230 small boxes, enough to create another route "for that particular loop".

Inthegame

If we did NOT have sure post we would have more driving positions, we had all the sure post volume before giving it to usps. Do you have any idea how many people stop me a week and say "it shows my pkg was delivered today at the post office, why is that?" Keep in mind, Im in front of their house and the package they are referring to I dropped off at the post office 3 hours prior.... How do I explain to them that they will get it tomorrow? All the little boxes of contact lenses, coffee, and small amazon packages I drop off at the PO. Yesterday, I delivered 77 pieces to the post office...keep in mind that the BAG of smalls counts as 1 piece, I had roughly 60pkgs, and 17 bags(with 10boxes in each) thats 230 small boxes, enough to create another route "for that particular loop".
If UPS didn't have the SurePost option those 230 pkgs would be sent via FedEx SmartPost. The pt's inside would have less work, feeder guys less p/u's. That equals less jobs, not more.

SouthernComfort

More jobs for part timers(that will never be able to go full time) and more jobs for feeder drivers(that will never retire *cotton ball club*)
Sure post doesn't get me 1 step closer to becoming full time

Catatonic

Nine Lives

UPS cannot price those packages at a profitable rate to compete with FedEx Smartpost.
UPS Surepost is a contract service offered as an alternative to Smartpost.
Either UPS or FedEx will get additional "regular" packages if they get the "contract" including the smile*post packages.
Surepost is picked up by UPS drivers and processed by Inside Union employees.
I assumed you understood this when I made my first reply but maybe you didn't.

Inthegame

More jobs for part timers(that will never be able to go full time) and more jobs for feeder drivers(that will never retire *cotton ball club*)
Sure post doesn't get me 1 step closer to becoming full time
But the "tag along" volume the SurePost offering brings will get you closer to full time. As the Grand Master Hoax has eloquently stated, the high volume shippers that are allowed the SurePost option would quickly remove ALL their pkgs from your car if UPS said pound sand to SurePost. Oh wait, then you wouldn't have all those oppressive long days...you're right NO MORE SUREPOST, SC wants more time at home.
Let me know next winter when you'd like to grab the wheel of one of the *cotton ball club* feeders in a snow or ice storm. I'll put the plastic sheets on the seat for you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We would most likely not had this volume. We might have a small amount but that's all.

My reply is always its our ultra cheap shipping method. FedEx does the same thing. If you got free shipping that's most likely why.

Brownslave688

Also what people need to keep in mind about surepost is the post is already pushing what they can handle.

As they make more cuts and volume increases this is will be an epic fail one peak in a few years.

Brownslave688

Inthegame, I do not have 4 years of full time pkg seniority... just 8 years of part time pkg seniority...#1 and #2 are out of the question... In 8 years Ive maybe been on the same route a whole week straight 4 or 5 times, this includes peak season. I have ZERO years as a full time package driver. If someone was full time 22.3 for a decade, then went to package he would have 0 years as a full time package driver also...

How the hell do you drive for 8 years and not gain seniority?

Different locals. Different rules.

To be able to Opt In on the 9.5 list

Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Ive been cover driving for 8 years, this pretty much says that ONLY employees with 4 years of full-time pkg seniority will be able to opt onto the 9.5 list....So if I go full time tomorrow, Ill still have 4 years of 10hour days in pkg? Thats outrageous!!!! This is at the bottom of page 30 in the National Master TA. Am I reading this wrong?
I think it's time for you to find another job. Good luck

SouthernComfort

But the "tag along" volume the SurePost offering brings will get you closer to full time. As the Grand Master Hoax has eloquently stated, the high volume shippers that are allowed the SurePost option would quickly remove ALL their pkgs from your car if UPS said pound sand to SurePost. Oh wait, then you wouldn't have all those oppressive long days...you're right NO MORE SUREPOST, SC wants more time at home.
Let me know next winter when you'd like to grab the wheel of one of the *cotton ball club* feeders in a snow or ice storm. I'll put the plastic sheets on the seat for you.
I was just telling a guy today Id rather work in the heat/humidity than in the freezing rain or snow...it hit a legit 91 here today. My deal is this, Im at that post office for 30mins a day unloading the surepost volume, when I wheel it in there the post office people dont want it, every day its more and more, the mail ladys just roll their eyes! They think that we are screwing them by pawning our "crap work" off on them. You think they want to have to get out of their fancy van and have to deliver a box to a house? Me? Holy ****! Id love to go out with 150 stops, and even 1/5 of the work be similar stuff what we drop off at surepost...Victorias Secret were always my favorite deliveries. Now my trucks have over 300 pieces of bulky crap.... cases of paper, sleep number beds, and even delivered my 1st car hood to a body shop a few weeks back. Im just saying.... we made the same profits years ago when we retained all our own volume. The post office lost 15 BILLION last year.

SouthernComfort

I dont need another job... Ive done my time here, Ive proven myself as an employee, I put in my application for employment on my 17th birthday and have been here ever since. The company/union should show some recognition for dedicated employees like myself. Hey, I know the job is tough... sure, I can think of tougher jobs that pay a whole lot less. But lets be real... the guys that can work like ants for 10hrs a day digging ditches, or roofing, or catching crabs in the Bering Sea also cant pass a drug screen! They have to be pain pilled out and coke'd out to do that crap all day, and when they get hurt the 1st thing the employer does is give them a drug test.. they fail the test they loose their job, so most dont claim workmans comp and just double down on the lortabs for a few weeks.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was just telling a guy today Id rather work in the heat/humidity than in the freezing rain or snow...it hit a legit 91 here today. My deal is this, Im at that post office for 30mins a day unloading the surepost volume, when I wheel it in there the post office people dont want it, every day its more and more, the mail ladys just roll their eyes! They think that we are screwing them by pawning our "crap work" off on them. You think they want to have to get out of their fancy van and have to deliver a box to a house? Me? Holy ****! Id love to go out with 150 stops, and even 1/5 of the work be similar stuff what we drop off at surepost...Victorias Secret were always my favorite deliveries. Now my trucks have over 300 pieces of bulky crap.... cases of paper, sleep number beds, and even delivered my 1st car hood to a body shop a few weeks back. Im just saying.... we made the same profits years ago when we retained all our own volume. The post office lost 15 BILLION last year.

30 minutes for one stop?

SouthernComfort

30 minutes for one stop?
Yes, Im at the usps facility for 30 minutes. Back up to dock, go inside and locate 3-5 EMPTY 4x4ft carts and push them out one at a time to the back of my truck.... scan and stack the 70-100 or so small boxes in the carts usually takes 2, then fill the other 2 or 3 carts up with the 15 or so bags(with pkgs in them) bags missing barcode labels(1 in 8) I have to open up and scan the pieces individually. Push carts in one by one they weigh a good 200lbs with 200lbs or more loaded in them... Locate the shift supervisor for a signature. Go over to where they have the pkgs for us going back... have a usps employee scan each one for me to show they "gave them to me", then scan them into my diad under my DDU pick up and return to pkg car and load them. 30 mins... maybe some days 27mins---others 33 mins...the whole time the postal employees giving me the evil look cause they dont want to have to load that crap in their vans and deliver it, a 5lb box is relatively 5000x heaver than an envelope and a door step is 90ft further than a mail box.

UPS_Brown

This week I had to take a 1000 out on a country route 5 times...worked almost 11.50 hours everyday..went in today to get on the 9-5 list, and they said OK, but it will only be until the new contract, because I don't have 4 yrs under my belt yet..and I rarely drive the same route for a whole week. I say BS!!!

Inthegame

This week I had to take a 1000 out on a country route 5 times...worked almost 11.50 hours everyday..went in today to get on the 9-5 list, and they said OK, but it will only be until the new contract, because I don't have 4 yrs under my belt yet..and I rarely drive the same route for a whole week. I say BS!!!
Read the TA.

SouthernComfort

I did, I don't, or won't meet any of that criteria.
No hope for ya Buster... I say no 9.5s for anyone, EVER. My center averages a 9.30 planned day average, a few guys have decent 8.5hr days, a few guys with 9's and then 50% or more have 10hr days or more everyday. I WILL SAY that Id rather drive a truck for 10hrs a day than load/unload for 10hrs a day... however, if UPS offered every part timer full time jobs at their current pay rate doing their current job for 10hr days the only people who could do it would be irreg driver, tape up, and hazmat.... not even small sort employees can go 10hrs straight. Its funny... pkg drivers burn about 400cals an hour and feeder drivers consume about 400cals an hour.... After 8 years of package, Im ready for feeder.

Brownslave688

Read the TA.

I'm sorry inthegame but ups will use this language to their advantage we all know that. So anything other than all employees wanting to be on the 9.5 can sign up for it immediately. Without even going over is a moot point and will do nothing.