9.5 language got worst for cover drivers!!!!!

O

OLDMAN3

(1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

OR does not mean and.
You only have to fulfill one of the 3, the wording is clear.
Since it is impossible to to both of the first 2 the same week, ask your manager how anyone can do all 3 .

Takeback251

Is anyone running into a situation where the company is taking the stance that your paid over, or "over allowed" plays a part in you being paid for over 9.5 grievances? For example: you go over 9.5, file a grievance. At the 1st level local level hearing between the BA and the division manager, the DM says "we dispatched him with 9.5 hours. He took 10.5 to get it done, we're not paying the grievance. When this language first came out, whether or not you were " paid over" was never an issue. It was never even part of the 9.5 opt in discussion. If you went over, you filed, you got paid. After one or two times of them paying you tons of dough for nothing.... PRESTO! Your route was adjusted.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is anyone running into a situation where the company is taking the stance that your paid over, or "over allowed" plays a part in you being paid for over 9.5 grievances? For example: you go over 9.5, file a grievance. At the 1st level local level hearing between the BA and the division manager, the DM says "we dispatched him with 9.5 hours. He took 10.5 to get it done, we're not paying the grievance. When this language first came out, whether or not you were " paid over" was never an issue. It was never even part of the 9.5 opt in discussion. If you went over, you filed, you got paid. After one or two times of them paying you tons of dough for nothing.... PRESTO! Your route was adjusted.

Conversely, I think that if you are dispatched with 9.5 or more and you bring it in, you should still be able to file.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
What!

Takeback251

He's fairly new. Took office in Jan 14'. Took no time at all for the DM to convince him that ups' flawed and completely magical way of determining "paid over" were going to be the determining factor in the settlement of the grievance.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
He's fairly new. Took office in Jan 14'. Took no time at all for the DM to convince him that ups' flawed and completely magical way of determining "paid over" were going to be the determining factor in the settlement of the grievance.
If that is going on, your BA must go! Does he think the contract is his to do what he pleases?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Did that really happen.....I would be scared if I had to rely on that ba......that is basic stuff......a shop steward would know that how could the ba not know

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Inthegame, I do not have 4 years of full time pkg seniority... just 8 years of part time pkg seniority...#1 and #2 are out of the question... In 8 years Ive maybe been on the same route a whole week straight 4 or 5 times, this includes peak season. I have ZERO years as a full time package driver. If someone was full time 22.3 for a decade, then went to package he would have 0 years as a full time package driver also...

Re-read condition #2.

novadriver

(1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer;

So if I was covering a route for more than a week, and got onto 9.5 list, and the sup wanted to take me off the route for 2 days so i couldn't file for 9.5, than the 2nd rule would cover me as well?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
(1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer;

So if I was covering a route for more than a week, and got onto 9.5 list, and the sup wanted to take me off the route for 2 days so i couldn't file for 9.5, than the 2nd rule would cover me as well?

Or you could just work the route for week then go in on Monday and ask to be put on it effective the next Monday. At least that way they can't screw with you over it.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
you just write a grieve about it? How do you sign up for it?
Talk to your steward, they can get you on the list after working a week on a route. Usually just requires putting your name on an approved form. Talk to the steward though, it is UPS, everything is different everywhere.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Yes. You were "prevented from completing that bid or assignment by the Employer."

rkctkc

Had an argument with a steward today, he/she seems to believe that the intent of the language for cover drivers are to have to sign up to be in the 9.5 list for each route that they cover. So if there are 55 routes you will have 55 different 9.5 start and end dates. It's such bs. I asked her where the letter of understanding was that supported this was, and she replied that the BA and management came up with this agreement about the intent of the language. Now who am I supposed to go to? It is clearly laid out and I cannot see where they are coming from with this. Who else can I talk to? It is rare for a cover driver to run the same route multiple weeks in the same 5 months unless said driver has a butt load of vacation. This steward refuses to settle any cover driver's grievance unless they meet the terms, I haven't seen it personally, but I was told by another driver that this steward just crumbled up and threw his grievance in the trash right in front of him. He is on the 9.5 list but not for the route he went over that particular week.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Had an argument with a steward today, he/she seems to believe that the intent of the language for cover drivers are to have to sign up to be in the 9.5 list for each route that they cover. So if there are 55 routes you will have 55 different 9.5 start and end dates. It's such bs. I asked her where the letter of understanding was that supported this was, and she replied that the BA and management came up with this agreement about the intent of the language. Now who am I supposed to go to? It is clearly laid out and I cannot see where they are coming from with this. Who else can I talk to? It is rare for a cover driver to run the same route multiple weeks in the same 5 months unless said driver has a butt load of vacation. This steward refuses to settle any cover driver's grievance unless they meet the terms, I haven't seen it personally, but I was told by another driver that this steward just crumbled up and threw his grievance in the trash right in front of him. He is on the 9.5 list but not for the route he went over that particular week.
So is it a he or a she??