9.5 payout?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The BA and center manager will agree to throw out grievances in exchange for an hourly keeping their job.

Grievances are numbered and filed, with a letter sent to the member stating the outcome. No one can simply "throw out" grievances filed by one employee to benefit another. I get checks cut for grievances and two weeks later I get the letter stating the outcome. If your BA is tossing members grievances out, he's leaving himself open to allegations of neglecting the well being of the member filing.

I've pulled two in my life to help with some discipline with another member, BA didn't ask me, I asked him to use mine as a chip.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Only had one this year,then they took me seriously.
In years past ,I would sit in the office. at the grievance hearing I would say this grievance is worth 10 cases off beer,this one is worth 15 cases.

Pissed my center manager off, to no end!..lol
My center manager loves it when i tell him filing 9.5's,Denied 8 hour Requests and Supervisor Working grievances are my 'side business'

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Ours is tough but fair---he knows when a deal would be in the best interest of all involved.
If my BA were to not get us paid heads would ROLL at the monthly meeting. In fact during elections last year a big part of the platform of the current officers was the fact over just how much the local had gotten in payouts. I dont have the figures at hand for this year,but last year my BA alone got over $250,000 in payouts for the membership

If your BA would deny enforcing the contract and not getting the membership in your local paid then you guys should throw him out on his ass ASAP

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The BA and center manager will agree to throw out grievances in exchange for an hourly keeping their job.
I believe this dynamic is defininately in play in some locals.
I feel this is possibly one of the biggest mistakes a BA can make.
Once you open "pandora's box" and start trading off unrelated issues, you become branded a horse trader.
From that point forward, the company will trump up or manufacture a discharge whenever they get over a barrel in a series of grievances.
In the end, while on the surface it may seem somewhat noble, it is in relatity laziness and the easy way out.
As stated earlier in this thread, this type of BA could find themselves at the Labor Board answering to failure to represent charges.
Why would a BA not hear each case on its merits, prepare the best case possible and let the chips fall where they may?

Hostile17

Doesn't matter---3 out of 5 days is all that is needed in order to file.

I still contend it should be based on dispatch, not hours worked.

So if you are dispatched with a 9.4 hour day but traffic is backed up for an accident, or a customer asks if you can hold on for just 2 minutes so they can get this early AM package out, or one of the hundreds of other variables that can possibly happen then you shouldn't get credit for working over 9.5?

On my route it is known by management that my time study is about 1 hour wrong. I have been told as long as I am less than an hour over then I'm under. But they cannont send me out with a less than 8 hour planned day because it looks bad on their reports. So the send me out with usually about a 9 hour planned day and I get paid about 10 hours a day. And make extra money filing 9.5 grievances. It has been going on with me and whoever else has run it since they implemented EDD in 2003 (I think). Before that it had a great time study. No one has ever run scratch on that route in years. But yeah lets go by dispatch.

El Correcto

god is dead
No one would ever be able to file 9.5 if they did it off of dispatch. Dispatch gives you 3 minutes to unload a 24 pieces bulk stop loaded on your 1000s shelf. At least on my route

Johney

Dispatch gives you 3 minutes to unload a 24 pieces bulk stop loaded on your 1000s shelf. At least on my route
Not dispatch, but time allowances and you get the same three minutes to unload that 24 piece bulk stop whether they all are letters or 50 lb boxes of paper.

By The Book

so how does one actually get paid on 9.5 grievance? I know to have first get on the list, secondly you have to work three days over 9.5 in a week, but I not sure how I will get paid. okay I'm the list, Monday worked 9.5, Tuesday worked 10 , and Wednesday worked 10.5 what does ups owe me?
If your on the list and worked these hours, they owe you an additional 5 hours pay at time and a half.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
You will be paid the Overtime rate for all hours worked over 9.5 . Tuesday file a grievance with your steward ( we have pre printed grievances for 9.5 grievances) it takes about a month to six weeks for your BA to meet with the center manager and or Labor Manager to have Local Hearings on Outstanding Grievances . When the hearings are settled You will get a separate check NDA'd to your house for any out standing grievances. about every 6-8 weeks we get our Driver Incentive Program Checks
Unfortunately , alot of times ,it is not paid out at overtime rate for all hours over 9.5. It should be, but a lot of times management promises 2 do better, and if it is paid out, it is for pennies on the dollar........