9.5 Peak?

oldupsman

Common sense. Less fatigued drivers rushing around so they can get off at a decent time = less accidents/injuries.
Better morale.
Less $60 an hour ot payouts.
More efficient preload/less misloads with trucks only half full.
I was preaching this stuff for the last 20 years. I admit I'm jealous. If this would have been the policy
10 years ago I would have worked 4 or 5 more years.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Lol.....this is my 24th peak and I’ve never seen anyone brought in for production issues.....until now. So be a denier....just because you want to bury your head in the sand doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Btw....it’s not called “termination for production” it’s referred to as “failure to follow instructions”. Which refers to demonstrated production collected with OJS rides.

On the other points you made, I agree completely. Lots of variables that can impact your day not planned for in the office. But if you’re on the list....they could care less.
Lol , ........Btw, your theory of ojs rides is bs. There is language in every supplement of how many times a year you are allowed to be ojs ‘ed, until it becomes an article 37 violation of over supervision, so if they are going to try to fire a guy with say 10 years seniority or more over a handful of ojs rides. Lmfao. Ok bud. Keep drinking what there givin ya.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
lol.........It’s my 25th peak. If you have a local that isn’t completely incompetent you have nothing to worry about. The myth of “the list” is a joke. Everyone is on “the list “
In more pressing events.....can I count on Landry this weekend. I mean the Panthers did just get worked over by the Bucs. He’s my number 2 receiver.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Fantastic failure in my neck of the woods.

They hired 15 casuals, give them rentals with 5 or 6 bulk stops in each.

Doesn't do much to alleviate the workload on everyone else.

I dont think I've been off the clock in under 10 hours yet this peak.

Re-Raise

I was preaching this stuff for the last 20 years. I admit I'm jealous. If this would have been the policy
10 years ago I would have worked 4 or 5 more years.
I hope it is true. I will have my 25 yrs full-time in March. I might stick around a while with 8 weeks of hr weeks!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Plenty of 6PM-9PM finishes and 55 hour weeks but this was nothing compared to the blitzkrieg of "unforseen" volume last year that has led to air, cold shipping and medicine to sit out for days and days before getting delivered.

We've been "caught up" Since Tuesday. Hell lasted 7 days instead of 23.

The biggest inefficiencies remain our dispatch, preload and the seasonal drivers. A handful of bricked cars and a few bad apples with businesses are inflating hours of drivers that could have otherwise finished in 6 hours.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
Anyone with there own route would know how to blow up a 3 day ride. Take your full lunch and breaks and the most inconvenient time. Never get caught back up. Tuck mirrors every stop , follow every speed limit sign, only take designated walk paths. Lmfao. It would be an hour and a half or more overallow daily.

Why wouldn't you follow these methods everyday -all the time- whether you were having a "OJS" or not ?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My center is getting out by 9am, preload is gone by 8:45, and everyone was back tonight by 7. Most bid drivers had LESS than a regular day off peak.

Don’t know what’s going on but I’m wondering how everyone else is doing.
Can it be management has gotten something right?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Lol , ........Btw, your theory of ojs rides is bs. There is language in every supplement of how many times a year you are allowed to be ojs ‘ed, until it becomes an article 37 violation of over supervision, so if they are going to try to fire a guy with say 10 years seniority or more over a handful of ojs rides. Lmfao. Ok bud. Keep drinking what there givin ya.
Firing guys over production or “method violations” is and always has been a pipe dream for ups...been here for 25+ years and have never seen anyone fired for either of the two reasons I mentioned above but the company swears up and down they can do it... lol whatever... in 99% of the cases where our guys get walked out for good they have almost always been justified afaic...

FromOffTheStreets

to try to push the union out completely by weakening us over time.
I hope that's true. But why do you think this is?? Such a drastic change. What's the end-game?
Possibly ups has figured out that finding drivers is getting more difficult these days. They're trying to make the job more attractive.
Can't think of any preloaders in my center that want the driver job. They see what goes in & don't want to deal with that craziness.
People don't want to get home @ 8, they want some time to live life, see their families.
The end game?? Pure speculation but...over the next 5 years, See if they can drum up some competent drivers with the 22.4 situation to replace the many soon to be retirements. If they can then we'll go back to the cut routes & heaviness. If they can't they'll part the seas with surepost. Route #'s will go down & we'll be a business,rural & "over 50/irregs" delivery service.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You guys are over analyzing things here... there are many areas that are working drivers 11 and 12 hours a day including in feeder where it is MANDATORY 12 hours....

FromOffTheStreets

Personally, that's my gut feeling on it. Give us FedEx sized workload for 5 years, lock us out and hire people at FedEx sized paychecks.
Thinking that there will be a major push on the next contract to give up a major benny. Either give up pension for a 401k match or pay certain amount for insurance or freeze pay.
Something to force a strike & restructure the company without a union.
This is only if they see they can't repopulate the driving crop.

JustDeliverIt

We were doing great with the whole 9.5 day, but it's been thrown out the window here for 3 weeks. Last week was 59.6 hours by Friday, today they had me come in and burn my last 4 hours for the week. Hope things settle down this week, but I'm in the NorthEast. It could drop a few feet of snow like nothing and screw it all up now that we are supposedly caught up. We'll see.