9.5 Peak?

FromOffTheStreets

You guys are over analyzing things here... there are many areas that are working drivers 11 and 12 hours a day including in feeder where it is MANDATORY 12 hours....
Your right & things are different in different areas. Just speculation on the future....
In my area just over half (about 20) of the seniority chart started before 1995. I don't know the system wide #'s but I'm sure ups knows where they stand with people coming into retirement & who they've got in the "farm system."
There just aren't that many people out there that want to question their existence on a daily basis in a bricked out truck no matter how much they get paid or how great the benefits are.
Lightening the load & getting people (22.4, more peak routes) in the truck more quickly makes the job more attractive. When they feel like they've restocked they're shelves & are ready for the coming retirements they will bulk the routes back up & cut routes.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Your right & things are different in different areas. Just speculation on the future....
In my area just over half (about 20) of the seniority chart started before 1995. I don't know the system wide #'s but I'm sure ups knows where they stand with people coming into retirement & who they've got in the "farm system."
There just aren't that many people out there that want to question their existence on a daily basis in a bricked out truck no matter how much they get paid or how great the benefits are.
Lightening the load & getting people (22.4, more peak routes) in the truck more quickly makes the job more attractive. When they feel like they've restocked they're shelves & are ready for the coming retirements they will bulk the routes back up & cut routes.
How long have you worked here “from off the streets???”

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Plenty of 6PM-9PM finishes and 55 hour weeks but this was nothing compared to the blitzkrieg of "unforseen" volume last year that has led to air, cold shipping and medicine to sit out for days and days before getting delivered.

We've been "caught up" Since Tuesday. Hell lasted 7 days instead of 23.

The biggest inefficiencies remain our dispatch, preload and the seasonal drivers. A handful of bricked cars and a few bad apples with businesses are inflating hours of drivers that could have otherwise finished in 6 hours.
“Bad apples”???? What do you mean by that??? Guys that aren’t out there “killing it???”...

JL 0513

They send me help when I'm going to be over 9 hrs. Seriously. Even though I don't want the help. They simply need to keep all the extras in rental vans working.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
“Bad apples”???? What do you mean by that??? Guys that aren’t out there “killing it???”...
Legitimately awful seasonal drivers. People that were not trained properly too. We've been bailing out some seasonals since they started with no intention of actually getting their businesses out on time. Yet none of them have been let go.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Legitimately awful seasonal drivers. People that were not trained properly too. We've been bailing out some seasonals since they started with no intention of actually getting their businesses out on time. Yet none of them have been let go.
You can’t expect someone off the street to get 2 days of training and throw them into a mess of a package car and expect them to get it done with 200-300 stops....I’ve seen some of the people they are hiring to be seasonal drivers... not good

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They send me help when I'm going to be over 9 hrs. Seriously. Even though I don't want the help. They simply need to keep all the extras in rental vans working.
We will see what happens after Christmas when the seasonal, pvd, coyotes(feeders) are out of the picture

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
It's been a real struggle to get 8 hours a day this week. We have main routes going out with barely 8 hours of work with two or three split routes off of each one. If any driver even remotely comes close to 9.5, 2 U-hauls with seasonal drivers magically materialize out of thin-air to do pickups and take stops off. Building morale is the highest I've seen in my short tenure at UPS with most drivers punching out by 6:30. It's even earlier on Mondays since we leave the building earlier. I'm at about 46 hours this week and that's INCLUDING Saturday.

FromOffTheStreets

At least you won’t be stuck in one of these 22.4 positions.... you came in at the right time it looks like
Yeah lucked into it bigtime.

I was just looking for a few hours(maybe driver helper or something) during the winter because my regular job was slow most winters.

They had their "off the street" candidate back out on them right before peak. They needed a body so I went to driving class a week after 1st contact. Drove 30 days & landed on the bottom of the seniority chart.

Had no idea what ups was all about mid November then driver mid January.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Me and about 15 other drivers just got the call to stay home since volume is so light they don't have enough work.... Laid off 2 weeks before Christmas?

Back to bed I go.....

What gets people into trouble isn't always about how much they are over allowed. It's when they get a three day ride and their is a big difference in production. That's why you should keep a notebook . It's comes in handy, you know they don't play fair.
A 3 day ride??? Is that my annual ride over 3 years?