9.5 Retaliation

10 Pt

Why would it be any different for the Company to make adjustments in regards to "scheduled pickups", verses delivery stops???

Help me out.

~Bbbl~™
There is no reason except that they want to be jerks. The management is abusive.
In this instance can't the driver (if a primary caregiver) get on FMLA and MAKE the company reduce his hours to the point where he needs to be off at a certain time?
They can try to pervert CBA language but they can't win over federal law.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no reason except that they want to be jerks. The management is abusive.
In this instance can't the driver (if a primary caregiver) get on FMLA and MAKE the company reduce his hours to the point where he needs to be off at a certain time?
They can try to pervert CBA language but they can't win over federal law.
My fear is that, the EEOC will be like the NLRB, and will defer to the grievance process.
At the rate my Local processes grievances, we'll be lucky to have closure on this issue before this poor guy has to bury his mother.

Sad but true, as we are presently gearing up to hear a local level point of order at the JAC in Florida next week, on a 25 month old grievance that would have never been heard at all had there not been 8 sets of labor charges filed on the Company and Union alleging a quid pro quo relationship.

10 Pt

My fear is that, the EEOC will be like the NLRB, and will defer to the grievance process.
At the rate my Local processes grievances, we'll be lucky to have closure on this issue before this poor guy has to bury his mother.

Sad but true, as we are presently gearing up to hear a local level point of order at the JAC in Florida next week, on a 25 month old grievance that would have never been heard at all had there not been 8 sets of labor charges filed on the Company and Union alleging a quid pro quo relationship.
Got to start somewhere. I'd file the grievance and tell the center manager that you're filing labor charges today. They'll know you're not blowing smoke now won't they? Yes they will.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Why would it be any different for the Company to make adjustments in regards to "scheduled pickups", verses delivery stops???

Help me out.

This one particular issue, involved a driver with a late scheduled pickup.

(it was a national account) And low and behold....

Somebody in corporate made the promise of a late time commit.

It resolved itself when the driver bid into feeders. (to work more hours) o_O

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

-Bug-
I understood that part.

What I don't understand is how a late pickup (national account or not) is any different than an extra residential split?

When the driver goes on the list, the excess work should get reassigned.

What is it about a pickup, that the Company thinks carries more weight in regards to 9.5 than delivery stops?

BTW, in your scenario where "it resolved itself when the driver bid into feeders", to me, was the Company reaping the fruit of their retaliation and harassment.

~Bbbl~™

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't understand is how a late pickup (national account or not) is any different than an extra residential split?

Because, it was "worded that way" on the bid sheet.

And the driver knew it.

What is it about a pickup, that the Company thinks carries more weight in regards to 9.5 than delivery stops?

Again, this was one particular situation.

BTW, in your scenario where "it resolved itself when the driver bid into feeders", to me, was the Company reaping the fruit of their retaliation and harassment.

Let me cut to the chase.

The guy was hired off the street into feeders, and bumped into pkg.

He bid a training route (because nobody wanted it) just to work everyday.

Being on the "safety committee" does not extend privileges. :biggrin:

They thought he was a punk, so they loaded him up.

Then.... all of the sudden.... he was a Union guy. (the need for a grievance)

He bailed at the first opportunity.

-Bug-

10 Pt

-Bug-
I understood that part.

What I don't understand is how a late pickup (national account or not) is any different than an extra residential split?

When the driver goes on the list, the excess work should get reassigned.

~Bbbl~™
The 9.5 issue isn't just about hours for every driver.
It's often about the wear and tear on their bodies in pkgs vs the feeder work which is a whole different ball game.
When it comes to physical stress i can't believe the difference in a metro route compared to a country route much less going into feeders.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The 9.5 issue isn't just about hours for every driver.
It's often about the wear and tear on their bodies in pkgs vs the feeder work which is a whole different ball game.
When it comes to physical stress i can't believe the difference in a metro route compared to a country route much less going into feeders.

When was the last time.... you filed a 9.5 grievance ?

Have you ever ??

Talking smack.... seems to be prevalent.... with newbies.

-Bug-

10 Pt

When was the last time.... you filed a 9.5 grievance ?

Have you ever ??

Talking smack.... seems to be prevalent.... with newbies.

-Bug-

You don't have to file to get on the 9.5 list and I've been on it at least twice. Once we get on it they are pretty careful to babysit your dispatch here.
I have never had to file for the bonus pay.
Two years ago we had a third of our drivers get on the list in a very short time.

Working 9.5 hours on a dispatch pre-Orion wasn't as bad as it is now for many.
Yes I know we don't recognize the company's "standards" but when your stops and bulk get jacked up the loaders struggle to get it in order (or in the truck period) and to ignorant eyes it looks like you're milking it. You learn how to do the methods because you're prob going to get a rider.

What it was saying before I got challenged because I'm a "newbie" was that older drivers will bail out to the feeder job to save their bodies. Many drivers feel that 12 hrs in feeders is a whole lot better than 9.51 in pkgs.
Please keep the petty jabs to a minimum because you can hurt rookies' feelings.

10 Pt

And @BigUnionGuy (old crusty),
Thank you for your persistent rebuttal. It is always taken as from someone who cares (although a Hoffa supporter :poop:) and helps union folks think a little deeper.

10 Pt

Where is wide load?
Hanging out with Timothy tonite?

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Please keep the petty jabs to a minimum because you can hurt rookies' feelings.

Atta boy.

And @BigUnionGuy (old crusty),
Thank you for your persistent rebuttal. It is always taken as from someone who cares (although a Hoffa supporter :poop:) and helps union folks think a little deeper.

Sometimes, throwing a hook in the water.... can provoke thought. No more, no less.

BTW I prefer "old curmudgeon". ;)

-Bug-

10 Pt

image.jpg

Now this is a newbie, FYI.