A new(On Topic) BC....

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Important New Info, Please Read! | UPS Discussions

In an effort to keep the forum running, the threads, (and to my understanding, especially within the UPS discussions and Union boards) are to be kept on topic.

Nothing has changed, except the mods are going to be making sure threads aren't getting derailed so much.

Basically, the thread was a heads up to everyone to keep it between the lines. Hopefully everyone takes the time to read both it, and the TOS.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Important New Info, Please Read! | UPS Discussions

In an effort to keep the forum running, the threads, (and to my understanding, especially within the UPS discussions and Union boards) are to be kept on topic.

Nothing has changed, except the mods are going to be making sure threads aren't getting derailed so much.

Basically, the thread was a heads up to everyone to keep it between the lines. Hopefully everyone takes the time to read both it, and the TOS.
Well look at the new administrator go.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
As of now, there are 16 public forums on this website. Only on UPS Discussions is the title marked "On Topic", and the consensus among the mod staff is to honor Cheryl's wishes and clean up the site some. We have been told by many former members that they got tired of all the derailing and insulting new members, so they quit logging on. So for now we are going to give this a try and see what happens. You can't please everybody.

quad decade guy

As of now, there are 16 public forums on this website. Only on UPS Discussions is the title marked "On Topic", and the consensus among the mod staff is to honor Cheryl's wishes and clean up the site some. We have been told by many former members that they got tired of all the derailing and insulting new members, so they quit logging on. So for now we are going to give this a try and see what happens. You can't please everybody.
Oh dear....

So, the derailing and bullying(what you are describing by many former members) is alive and well. From what little I've seen....so far.....the practice(heavy modding) seems to be working. Curious why that wouldn't be a good idea site wide. The word(s) "some" "so much" is concerning. In other words......being insulted/bullied is expected(encouraged?) in the Health topics forum(for example). This seems so odd to me. So, these changes are for "former" members to attract them back? Not for topic cohesion and insulting "new"members? Noting the discussion topics had been derailing for years, clearly while Cheryl(Godspeed) was alive. Based on your words. Thanks.

BTW, again based on your exact words.....any other Forum is fair game. Expect to be derailed and "insulted"?

Care to clarify? Again, thanks.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Oh dear....

So, the derailing and bullying(what you are describing by many former members) is alive and well. From what little I've seen....so far.....the practice(heavy modding) seems to be working. Curious why that wouldn't be a good idea site wide. The word(s) "some" "so much" is concerning. In other words......being insulted/bullied is expected(encouraged?) in the Health topics forum(for example). This seems so odd to me. So, these changes are for "former" members to attract them back? Not for topic cohesion and insulting "new"members? Noting the discussion topics had been derailing for years, clearly while Cheryl(Godspeed) was alive. Based on your words. Thanks.

BTW, again based on your exact words.....any other Forum is fair game. Expect to be derailed and "insulted"?

This seems to be treading very close to discussing staff decisions.

They've told you what the practice will be.
If you want to discuss with @scratch what rules to implement, I'd suggest messaging him privately if he's willing.

From @over9five's announcement thread:
Our plan is to vigorously enforce the TOS. Please read the TOS, we all agreed to abide by it when we joined BrownCafe.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Oh dear....

Please try and stay on topic , thank you

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I will clarify my earlier comments. Moderators do not read every post on this site. When the original owner asked us to help her, it was under the understanding that we could moderate as we read threads we were interested in. I only read five or six forums myself. I don't work for FedEx, I'm not in management, so I very seldom read those unless I'm looking at something that was reported. A few of these forums are total train wrecks. People arguing with strangers about politics or union slates totally don't interest me. Thread derailing is okay for now in the other forums, we don't get many complaints there. Derailing can cross a thin line, I was starting to go off-topic myself in another thread.

Bullying, No that has never been okay with me. I have seen how it has chased off new members for years. New employees coming here for advice usually haven't developed the thick skin you need to successfully survive working for the company. It's a shame I think people need to develop a thick skin to be accepted into this community. I have posted several times how easy it is to use the "Ignore" feature. Type in the names of members you don't like and that problem is easily taken care of by yourself. You can make them look like fools arguing with themselves. I can't do that for you. If I am reading a thread in any forum, I do delete insults and name-calling. The staff is currently in contact with the tech guy and we are trying to get permission to put members in and out of the mod queue line.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Corner bar should be off limits …maybe private login non censored thread.
🧔‍♂️✊
The Life Forum with its threads will stay the same for now. The public can't see or read it unless they log on as a member. Some words will remain in the language filters. Google Ad Space will not pay to websites not following certain guidelines. Some of you guys that want to post anything have been killing this site financially for years. I'm surprised Cheryl allowed so much disrespect for her Terms of Service and kept it running. The current staff doesn't have permission to change certain things if we wanted to.

quad decade guy

I will clarify my earlier comments. Moderators do not read every post on this site. When the original owner asked us to help her, it was under the understanding that we could moderate as we read threads we were interested in. I only read five or six forums myself. I don't work for FedEx, I'm not in management, so I very seldom read those unless I'm looking at something that was reported. A few of these forums are total train wrecks. People arguing with strangers about politics or union slates totally don't interest me. Thread derailing is okay for now in the other forums, we don't get many complaints there. Derailing can cross a thin line, I was starting to go off-topic myself in another thread.

Bullying, No that has never been okay with me. I have seen how it has chased off new members for years. New employees coming here for advice usually haven't developed the thick skin you need to successfully survive working for the company. It's a shame I think people need to develop a thick skin to be accepted into this community. I have posted several times how easy it is to use the "Ignore" feature. Type in the names of members you don't like and that problem is easily taken care of by yourself. You can make them look like fools arguing with themselves. I can't do that for you. If I am reading a thread in any forum, I do delete insults and name-calling. The staff is currently in contact with the tech guy and we are trying to get permission to put members in and out of the mod queue line.
Ok. But here's how it's gone in the past.....

You are personally attacked....even threatened.....bullied. You respond. Certain folks could have initiated the attacks or the bullying and then complained to the admins.....the "victim"(for lack of a better term) is put on Q. Maybe because their response is quite spirited. No? Absolutely.

quad decade guy

It’s just sad that you cannot disagree with certain people because they get offended so easily
Bullying is not "disagreeing". Vicious attacks are not disagreeing. You guys seem to want to be able to define what folks should or shouldn't be offended by. Doesn't work that way. In other words, be able to define what level of abuse a person must take.

This is pretty basic stuff. Talk about the topics......leave the bullying(just the good, clean fun as you guys put it) out.
Example: I ask if I buying hotdogs and chips is stealing time on the clock.....or water....I'm accused of not standing up for myself(bullying). Or some other sexual innuendo about weiners(off topic) appears in the thread. And then there are pages of it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Not to discuss decisions, but how about just deleting the obviously off topic posts, and leave the ones that are actually on topic but someone doesn't like what was written and reports it. At this rate You'll have a whole new crop of people who will leave because all their posts are getting deleted for no reason.

quad decade guy

Not to discuss decisions, but how about just deleting the obviously off topic posts, and leave the ones that are actually on topic but someone doesn't like what was written and reports it. At this rate You'll have a whole new crop of people who will leave because all their posts are getting deleted for no reason.
Hi, is identifying personal attacks and bullying so difficult for average folks? You've seen pages and hundreds of pages of this stuff. I'm curious what you think triggered the changes occurring now? The old members recognized it........

Explain why on-topic, non-bullying, non-personal attack posts would "all be deleted"...."for no reason"?

How about just not post them in the first place?

Do you think being bullied and personally attacked is basically "not liking it"?

And that "on-topic" bullying posts are what most new members will be submitting?

Based on your words. Thanks.

Shift Inhibit

Bullying is not "disagreeing". Vicious attacks are not disagreeing. You guys seem to want to be able to define what folks should or shouldn't be offended by. Doesn't work that way. In other words, be able to define what level of abuse a person must take.

This is pretty basic stuff. Talk about the topics......leave the bullying(just the good, clean fun as you guys put it) out.
Example: I ask if I buying hotdogs and chips is stealing time on the clock.....or water....I'm accused of not standing up for myself(bullying). Or some other sexual innuendo about weiners(off topic) appears in the thread. And then there are pages of it.
Those are pretty PG type attacks. Like most of the so called “bullying”. I’ve been called a lot worse on here but I have a sense of humor and laugh it off . Then try to come up with a good comeback.

Shift Inhibit

Also, what kind of hotdogs we talking about , ballpark or average gas station dogs on rollers?