A possible MLK Holiday Solution?

542thruNthru

Watermelon eating contest?

Or bricking the Walmart's and setting them on fire?

Drive bys?
giphy-16.gif

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I celebrate by participating in community events. They are fun and engaging. I recommend trying it sometime.
Oh so you're going to be an ass in this conversation. Okay buddy.

Well I guess the difference between you and me, is I'm not going to make myself into a liar and pretend this is about "celebrating" MLK day or Juneteenth.

The union wants to get us another day off, and picking these days of racial grievance gives them more leverage, because they know the company might be perceived as racist for refusing. It's a smart move.

I'm not sure why you can't just be honest rather than throwing around lame insults.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Oh so you're going to be an ass in this conversation. Okay buddy.

Well I guess the difference between you and me, is I'm not going to make myself into a liar and pretend this is about "celebrating" MLK day or Juneteenth.

The union wants to get us another day off, and picking these days of racial grievance gives them more leverage, because they know the company might be perceived as racist for refusing. It's a smart move.

I'm not sure why you can't just be honest rather than throwing around lame insults.
I'm not a liar. I participate in many community events especially on holidays that I'm off. I didn't insult you. I'm just saying you should try some. Ever been to a chili cook off? They are a ton of fun. Or maybe a 5k fun run like run or dye. Those are fun also. Oooh or a farmers market!

JustDeliverIt

Not in Upstate NY. It became a regular day when I was still working.

Wrong. It became a regular working day in exchange for a personal day for most of the Upstate NY. My local had won an arbitration decision decades ago for double time on holidays so we felt it was worth two days and the company wouldn’t give it to us last contract and we voted it down as a result.
The company countered with a carve out for our local to keep it a holiday and we still get double time when working it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wrong. It became a regular working day in exchange for a personal day for most of the Upstate NY. My local had won an arbitration decision decades ago for double time on holidays so we felt it was worth two days and the company wouldn’t give it to us last contract and we voted it down as a result.
The company countered with a carve out for our local to keep it a holiday and we still get double time when working it.
Nope.

As I said, I was still working when they decided that BF would be a regular working day and, no, we did not get an extra personal day in exchange. 4 personal, 5 sick.

JustDeliverIt

Nope.

As I said, I was still working when they decided that BF would be a regular working day and, no, we did not get an extra personal day in exchange. 4 personal, 5 sick.

I’m literally in the local that still receives it as a paid holiday. Been a $1k day this contract for thanks to paragraph D of the UPS Buffalo Amendment found in the contract.

Attachments

• A4433E77-C93B-4682-8DD7-91B1176EF842.png
    A4433E77-C93B-4682-8DD7-91B1176EF842.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 24

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How exactly are people "celebrating" MLK day?

Come on man, people just want another day off.
And that's fine.
No one is. Our schools even use the day as a teacher training day. Just government is off. I'm sure they are home reflecting on the legacy of MLK, not shopping, doing errands, or loafing around the house.

JustDeliverIt

Nope.

And if you look at the contract language for the rest of the supplement in Article 61 you’ll see that the rest of the locals went up to 5 roving holidays and Black Friday is no longer listed in the holidays because that was the trade off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And if you look at the contract language for the rest of the supplement in Article 61 you’ll see that the rest of the locals went up to 5 roving holidays and Black Friday is no longer listed in the holidays because that was the trade off.
I retired July 2018 and as of then BF was a regular day and we had 4 personal and 5 sick days. That may have changed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You raise a valid concern... 50% of the drivers taking a day off would surely create problems, but something even as high as 25%, I believe would be manageable. We get little spikes in volume right around Mothers' Day, or Valentines Day, or Amazon Prime Days where people end up doing some serious overtime and it all somehow works out. In this case, it would be a getting through a day of normal volume with a smaller staff.

Though its a bit speculative on my part, I don't believe there are all that many people who have a burning desire to get MLK Day off. And I can totally see where pausing operations for another day when our competition is working is not a good road to be going down either.
If 25% of my centers drivers are off I sure as hell don’t want to be at work that day because it’s going to be a disaster.