A Quote From Fred

Ricochet1a

You said the "contractorrs" should organize. Since you're the boss, wouldn't you be organizing against yourselves? Forgive my riff on the great line from "Network": "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore"!!

Even mercenaries can turn on their paymaster if they get screwed.

Wild Geese...

Ricochet1a

Yes but can they form a union? Good movie...

When one is well armed and willing to use it - who needs a stinkin' union?

No, bbsam does have a point. If the contractors WERE to come to a collective agreement among themselves that the offer they were getting from Ground wasn't enough, they could put a dent in the operation - and really shake confidence in the use of the whole independent contractor model for FedEx.

The key (as to any "collective action") would be to have enough operators willing to shut down operations at the same time (contract negotiation time....) and stick with it regardless of the outcome. I'd bet FedEx would start trying to buy off contractors on a one-to-one basis, and while doing that, replace the remainder with "front contractors" (FedEx management types given seed money by FedEx to start working as "independent contractors" - with business support offered by..... FedEx, of course).

As long as the gravy train continues for the contractors, FedEx has nothing to fear. What FedEx will have to deal with is when the economy improves and the contractors have to start digging ever deeper to keep those drivers seats filled - the contractors will want more and more from FedEx in order to ensure THEIR margins. This is the only weak point in the system and as long as Fred doesn't get too stingy with the contractors - he shouldn't have anything to worry about.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well Dano boy, put up your citation that proves your talking point.

"The word of the unions"....

I'm waiting for a citation from a union created piece that states that employers are allowed to intimidate their employees into not joining a union...

Intimidation is clearly not tolerable. No one is arguing that. I never made an argument for it.

Give it up stooge, you're talking out of your exhaust manifold and can't justify your blind devotion to your Master - all while attempting to belittle the wage employees who make it possible for you to collect your salary from your Master.

I couldn't care less if Express goes union or not.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And MrRetirement, the poor little courier who keeps threatening to leave but juuuuuuuust can't bring himself to do it because he lacks the guts.

Nope, Shill-Boy. I'll leave when I am ready, and that is when I feel I have fulfilled my mission. It's the polar opposite of yours. I spread truth, and you spread fertilizer.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My story every week. Yours changes as your handlers see fit. What's your favorite brand of shoe polish?Lip balm? Knee pads?

What's your favorite type of topical pain reliever for your rear end considering you have to stick around and get reamed because you aren't man enough to follow through on your threats.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What's your favorite type of topical pain reliever for your rear end considering you have to stick around and get reamed because you aren't man enough to follow through on your threats.

You have no idea what I do or don't do. I would think you are the Preparation H Poster Boy since you sit on your butt and post garbage all day long. Get out and enjoy the beauty of Memphis.