A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

Poop Head

Judge me.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces
this is truth...

What a waste of time and money

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you are tearing your hair out in frustration over garbage ORION “solutions” that have you lost and running in circles and your management wont let you turn it back to RDO, ask them to print your manifest out on paper in RDO order and then turn ODO back on.
If they will do this, get yourself a clipboard so that you can organize the pages and flip thru them in much the same way you would scroll up and down in the DIAD. Once you get the hang of it, the clipboard simply becomes your new DIAD and you can work as normal.
If they refuse, and will only print them out in ODO order, then get a few highlighter pens and color code the different parts of your manifest by shelf or area, in whatever manner helps you tie it together and make sense of your dispatch.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces. Color coding the different sections of your manifest and having the pages on a clipboard can restore that to a degree and allow you to function by putting your route “back together” in a way that makes sense to you.
Pro tip: if your management agrees to print out your route in RDO order, wait to download EDD until it starts printing. This will load your DIAD in RDO, not ODO order. You will then be prompted to upload EDD again...which you will not do until after you get back to the building at night.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
That is a massive waste of time and resources when you could just simply follow Orion.

DOK

What happens when ups offers tracking with a time window for delivery that is based off of the Orion times on the computer?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The preload philosophy rn is to broadcast little tidbits of streets and # ranges from the shelves so that all the neaby stops are obvious from a glance regardless of what orion tells you to do.

The convention I use is to first write the first 1-2 numbers of the address to narrow in on a segment, h or k (hundered, thousand), and the next 2-3 characters of the street name.
IE 12k15 would be 12000-12999 (N) 15th (Ct)

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
What happens when ups offers tracking with a time window for delivery that is based off of the Orion times on the computer?
There will be some seriously aggravated customers. I will never follow that crap. Like @Poop Head said, I’d rather wear a hat full of vomit all day, plus crap my shorts and let it run into my boots.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I have learned to love Orion. Follow it as close to 100% as possible while still making commits. Going out with about 25 less stops a day and enjoying my windshield time. When I'm driving, I'm not lifting/carrying, and that's a plus.

MC0493

I would agree, i can't stand the forced stupidity, i'm a cover driver and the Orion for some routes is so horrible i want to smash my head in and i can't even sort it out to do it my way. Some routes it's tolerable and i just follow it. I agree they took one of our biggest tools away, drivers know how to do their routes in the most efficient manor, let us run it our way damnit.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I know Drivers that have reduced their stop count as much as 30% by following Orion.
Orion Compliance of 97 to 100% will dramatically lower your stop count.
Rural route that had a min max of 110 to 125.
Now is 80 to 95 stops.
In town 25% Industrial 75% tight Resi route min max was 190 to 215
Now it is 155 to 175.
Comply with Orion and get on 9.5 list. Do way less work than ever before.

BothSidesSally

Why can't we all just get along?
If you are tearing your hair out in frustration over garbage ORION “solutions” that have you lost and running in circles and your management wont let you turn it back to RDO, ask them to print your manifest out on paper in RDO order and then turn ODO back on.
If they will do this, get yourself a clipboard so that you can organize the pages and flip thru them in much the same way you would scroll up and down in the DIAD. Once you get the hang of it, the clipboard simply becomes your new DIAD and you can work as normal.
If they refuse, and will only print them out in ODO order, then get a few highlighter pens and color code the different parts of your manifest by shelf or area, in whatever manner helps you tie it together and make sense of your dispatch.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces. Color coding the different sections of your manifest and having the pages on a clipboard can restore that to a degree and allow you to function by putting your route “back together” in a way that makes sense to you.
Pro tip: if your management agrees to print out your route in RDO order, wait to download EDD until it starts printing. This will load your DIAD in RDO, not ODO order. You will then be prompted to upload EDD again...which you will not do until after you get back to the building at night.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
On Road sup here. Fairly new to Orion, gonna share this with my drivers. Orion is the exception to technology making jobs easier.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
To a point I agree with you, but I am simply incapable of the level of intentional, forced stupidity that would be necessary in order for me to follow ORION. I have been conditioned over the last 31 years to make good decisions and I cannot unlearn that behavior no matter how hard I try.
The "solution" is simple if you are 31 year veteran?

Just go "old school".

Sort your shelves, pulling your packages forward like we used to, and don't look at the DIAD manifest.
Just use the DIAD to record packages like in the early 90's, except you don't have to key in the addresses.

Takes a few days to get back to those basics, but if your previous RDO load mirrors your preferred delivery order, it works like a charm.

Last edited:

DeliveryMachine

Are there buildings out there where Orion is still forced??? A driver told me today that our on road literally told him not to follow ORION and to just run it his way. Yet they don’t give us RDO lololololol

wrecker

The "solution" is simple if you are 31 year veteran?

Just go "old school".

Sort your shelves, pulling your packages forward like we used to, and don't look at the DIAD manifest.
Just use the DIAD to record packages like in the early 90's, except you don't have to key in the addresses.

Takes a few days to get back to those basics, but if your previous RDO load mirrors your preferred delivery order, it works like a charm.

This is exactly how I handle it, and I also sort the call tags into the shelf and use info notes to remind me of large pkgs on the floor.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The same thing that happens when the car is bricked out front to back and ORION wants your first stop to be an envelope that is buried somewhere at the back of your 4000 shelf.