A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

JustDeliverIt

The next step is to load the trucks in ODO.

I just don't think they could ever do this. If they find a tote of work late and you get 2 extra stops out of it, that could rearrange half of your day. So RDO has to stay as the baseline. Which makes getting rid of it just an FU to every driver.

Indecisi0n

I just don't think they could ever do this. If they find a tote of work late and you get 2 extra stops out of it, that could rearrange half of your day. So RDO has to stay as the baseline. Which makes getting rid of it just an FU to every driver.
That will get treated just like it does now, add it at the end of a shelf.

barnyard

KTM rider
As much as I agree with your disdain for Orion, I don't get paid to fix their bad plans. Just follow ODO and make extra cash.

Live by Orion, die by orion. I am not going to go to that much effort to fix something that is not my responsibility to fix.

The time allowance is so whacked that the only days I can follow orion are the days that I have no NDA.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The "solution" is simple if you are 31 year veteran?

Just go "old school".

Sort your shelves, pulling your packages forward like we used to, and don't look at the DIAD manifest.
Just use the DIAD to record packages like in the early 90's, except you don't have to key in the addresses.

Takes a few days to get back to those basics, but if your previous RDO load mirrors your preferred delivery order, it works like a charm.
@soberups have you become so conditioned to having a virtual manafest that you don't remember executing the job in the fashion I described in my quoted text?

I only ask because you seem to be going to extraordinary lengths to somehow live within a broken system, demonstrated by the fact that you know when you "beat the computer", printing off your own manifests, etc.
I promise you, I never look at anything nimbers related, besides my paycheck.
This just doesn't seem like the guy I have known here for so long?

We have drivers in my building that sneak into the PDS office and actually turn ORION off and RDO back on, despite my warnings not to.
I myself, will continue to simply ignore every facet of ORION and roll "old school" until I am issued a warning letter for non-compliance.

Then, and only then, will I go back to total compliance, which lead to the Company instructing me not to use ORION, 3 months after it started in 2014 here.

Try what I'm preaching and liberate yourself.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
But if its a garbage solution that has you randomly jumping in and out of your 8000 shelf multiple times throughout the day, it becomes very difficult to keep track of all the out-of-sequence stops in your head.

That is my issue. I have forgotten about that 1 stop and had to run back later. If I followed Orion, I would add 15-30 resi backs. I regularly scratch my route, when orion and EDD closely match. Yesterday, I was bricked out and orion had me running sections backwards, I would imagine that I was an hour plus over. I skipped 9 stops and delivered my last NDA at 10:20. I routinely skip 6-10 stops to get my NDA off.

WorknLateHuh

Can you guys download EDD at any point in the morning? Here they dont release EDD until after the pcm

My old building you could download it whenever

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The next step is to load the trucks in ODO.
And if they did this, it would be a lot easier to try and follow the trace.
The problem is not ORION. The problem....is when they load the car in a certain order and then intentionally take away the drivers ability to view the dispatch in that order.
It is an act of deliberate, willful malice on their part. They are butt hurt because they spent all this money on a tool that does not work, and since we are the ones who actually have to get the packages delivered in the real world, we have not been using their tool. So this is their way of getting even and trying to force us to use the tool that does not work so that they can continue pretending that it does work.

porkwagon

Or you just do it old school and forget EDD exists and organize it stop for stop physically. My 2000 shelf is a staging area, the rest of the truck is just a warehouse to hold neighborhoods until they reach the 2000 shelf.
Same here, except my staging area is the top shelf. 31 years also!

soberups

@soberups have you become so conditioned to having a virtual manafest that you don't remember executing the job in the fashion I described in my quoted text?

I only ask because you seem to be going to extraordinary lengths to somehow live within a broken system, demonstrated by the fact that you know when you "beat the computer", printing off your own manifests, etc.

We have drivers in my building that sneak into the PDS office and actually turn ORION off and RDO back on, despite my warnings not to.
I myself, will continue to simply ignore every facet of ORION and roll "old school" until I am issued a warning letter for non-compliance.

Then, and only then, will I go back to total compliance, which lead to the Company instructing me not to use ORION, 3 months after it started in 2014 here.

When I started driving in 1988 we used paper delivery records so yes, I remember not having a manifest.
But the demands of the job have changed.
In 1988, NDA was committed by noon not 10:30. In 1988 we did not have NDA savers, 2Day Early AM, My Choice delivery windows, or On Demand pickups. In 1988 we did not have commit times for daily pickup accounts. In 1988 my route went out with 75 stops for a 9 hour day, now it goes out with over 100. In 1988 none of the wineries shipped UPS so my route was not faced with the variable of containing 400 cubic feet/ 4000 lbs of wine in a P-63 car.
So yes, I have become somewhat dependent upon a virtual manifest.
Could I adapt and go back to the old way of sorting? Yes, but in the meanwhile I will continue to use the tools that are available.

soberups

The majority of the drivers on my center use a printed manifest.
I did not need one until they took RDO away.
I offered to follow ORION on my route 100% and was instructed by my management team to not use it.
So when I use a printed manifest or switch back to RDO I am simply complying with their directives.

soberups

My supervisor switches to RDO on the computer. I download my EDD. Supervisor switches computer back to ODO. I don't update my DIAD. Works like a charm, and us low level peons are happy and the Ivory Tower doesn't know the difference.
Center level management are all well aware of the fact that ORION is a failure, they dont like it any more than we do, and when push comes to shove they want the same thing we do which is simply to get the damn packages delivered with a minimum of hassle and drama. RDO makes it simple and easy; ORION makes it confusing and difficult.
The only people at UPS who are still drinking the ORION Kool Aid are the ones who have never actually delivered a package or worked for the company in any operational capacity.
ORION would actually work great if our job was to leave the building every morning in a little economy car, drive to each customer’s mailbox, and push a button on it in order to shut off a blinking light.
Where ORION falls short is when your job involves locating, selecting and delivering actual packages to those addresses out of the back of a truck, and then filling that same truck up with pickup volume.

The majority of the drivers on my center use a printed manifest.
I did not need one until they took RDO away.
I offered to follow ORION on my route 100% and was instructed by my management team to not use it.
So when I use a printed manifest or switch back to RDO I am simply complying with their directives.
A printed manifest is for rookies.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
That is my issue. I have forgotten about that 1 stop and had to run back later. If I followed Orion, I would add 15-30 resi backs. I regularly scratch my route, when orion and EDD closely match. Yesterday, I was bricked out and orion had me running sections backwards, I would imagine that I was an hour plus over. I skipped 9 stops and delivered my last NDA at 10:20. I routinely skip 6-10 stops to get my NDA off.
Why do you care about the numbers and useless metrics Management tries to control you with?

soberups

Why do you care about the numbers and useless metrics Management tries to control you with?
Speaking for myself I will say that, while I dont care about their numbers, they are relevant to the debate over whether or not ORION is any good.
If the goal is to save miles, and my way runs less miles than ORION, why should I follow ORION?