A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That is a massive waste of time and resources when you could just simply follow Orion.
I beat ORION by 12 miles yesterday with 100% pickup compliance, zero service failures, 2 on demand pickups that ORION didnt know about, and running off 3 misloads in other loops.
Driving the 12 extra miles and pissing away 45 minutes digging around in the back of the car looking for single packages instead of doing bulk stops in a logical order to give myself room to work is what I would call a “massive waste of time and resources.”
But thats just me...

Indecisi0n

If you are tearing your hair out in frustration over garbage ORION “solutions” that have you lost and running in circles and your management wont let you turn it back to RDO, ask them to print your manifest out on paper in RDO order and then turn ODO back on.
If they will do this, get yourself a clipboard so that you can organize the pages and flip thru them in much the same way you would scroll up and down in the DIAD. Once you get the hang of it, the clipboard simply becomes your new DIAD and you can work as normal.
If they refuse, and will only print them out in ODO order, then get a few highlighter pens and color code the different parts of your manifest by shelf or area, in whatever manner helps you tie it together and make sense of your dispatch.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces. Color coding the different sections of your manifest and having the pages on a clipboard can restore that to a degree and allow you to function by putting your route “back together” in a way that makes sense to you.
Pro tip: if your management agrees to print out your route in RDO order, wait to download EDD until it starts printing. This will load your DIAD in RDO, not ODO order. You will then be prompted to upload EDD again...which you will not do until after you get back to the building at night.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
Your thinking is flawed. Why are you going out of your way to fix their problem? If they only have RDO loaded than that's how you run it. Stop making decisions. After you ask for business help everyday and need your pickups taken they will either fix it or strip stops off you.

soberups

Although I have never had to deal with "Orion" but I understand your frustration, and if you continue to fix their problem with your own solutions don't expect them to fix their own mess. Ever.
They arent going to fix it either way. So its on me to figure out a way to function that lets me keep my sanity.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I beat ORION by 12 miles yesterday with 100% pickup compliance, zero service failures, 2 on demand pickups that ORION didnt know about, and running off 3 misloads in other loops.
Driving the 12 extra miles and pissing away 45 minutes digging around in the back of the car looking for single packages instead of doing bulk stops in a logical order to give myself room to work is what I would call a “massive waste of time and resources.”
But thats just me...
And this is what it comes down to. So many drivers egos make them prove they can beat Orion.

I couldn't care less about proving I'm
Better than the computer.

CoolStoryBro

Are there buildings out there where Orion is still forced??? A driver told me today that our on road literally told him not to follow ORION and to just run it his way. Yet they don’t give us RDO lololololol

At my center they converted to ODO but management has never once mentioned it at PCM. I have no idea what my % on trace is ever and don't know how to obtain that info.

We have a lot of drivers printing their manifests in RDO. management says nothing about it.

In my center it's easy to go months without ever speaking to anyone in management. I haven't seen the center manager in at least 3 or 4 months.

soberups

And this is what it comes down to. So many drivers egos make them prove they can beat Orion.

I couldn't care less about proving I'm
Better than the computer.
My ego has nothing to do with it.
You stated that using a clipboard was a “massive waste of time and resources”.
I was merely pointing out the fact that I actually saved time and resources.

Indecisi0n

At my center they converted to ODO but management has never once mentioned it at PCM. I have no idea what my % on trace is ever and don't know how to obtain that info.

We have a lot of sheep printing their manifests in RDO. management says nothing about it.

In my center it's easy to go months without ever speaking to anyone in management. I haven't seen the center manager in at least 3 or 4 months.

Fixed

Indecisi0n

Do you still drive package, or are you strictly feeder?
Why does that matter? When I was in package I had Orion and I had the same dumb PCM'S about trace. It got to the point where I got so tired of hearing it I just starting following it 100%. I did my airs, then started house stops. I'd call in everyday at about 11:30 asking for business help and the sup would flip because I hadn't done one business. I reminded him of the PCM and then I was threatened to be fired. Oh well. They ended up telling me with my shop steward to never again follow Orion and that I would never be pulled in the office again for trace. I was never again in the office for it after that meeting. Easy. (That's when when we had both Orion and EDD in the DIAD)

Now if Orion was the only thing loaded in my board I would have told them I am following the board because I'm not making decisions where if I make a mistake a saver gets missed.

soberups

I scroll up and down and and run the route my way. I don't understand all the problems folks are having?
Scrolling up and down might work if you have a semi-reasonable solution to begin with.
But if its a garbage solution that has you randomly jumping in and out of your 8000 shelf multiple times throughout the day, it becomes very difficult to keep track of all the out-of-sequence stops in your head.
If the stops are loaded in a certain order, the driver should be able to view them in that order so that he can make good decisions. That is common sense.
So if the company is going to go out of its way to make the job harder and more confusing by intentionally denying me the ability to see the stops in order, I will simply find a work-around to overcome the impediment that they have created.

Last edited:

soberups

You're incapable of simply following directions?
The directions I have been given are to disregard ORION and use my area knowledge and best judgement.
I am happy to do that...but since they intentionally took away the tool (RDO) that I need in order to follow those directions, I am simply coming up with a substitute for that tool.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Why does that matter?
Just curious. It's mind boggling to only have the odo. I'm all for shoving the company's bs back up their ass. But I just can't, in good conscience run odo. Even in bad conscience. Did it once, out of spite. Never again. It's that bad. I really wish I could do it, honestly. Would be less "stressful". I like my route, customers, job. As humans, we wanna do our best at whatever we do. Comical how some pencil necks in an office somewhere keep setting us to fail.

soberups

Just curious. It's mind boggling to only have the odo. I'm all for shoving the company's bs back up their ass. But I just can't, in good conscience run odo. Even in bad conscience. Did it once, out of spite. Never again. It's that bad. I really wish I could do it, honestly. Would be less "stressful". I like my route, customers, job. As humans, we wanna do our best at whatever we do. Comical how some pencil necks in an office somewhere keep setting us to fail.
I dont want to make multiple left turns at dangerous, uncontrolled intersections.
I dont want to unload half my car into the street during a rainstorm in order to find a single stop, only to have to throw it all back in just so that I can drive to my next stop and unload it all again.
I dont want to follow ORION and do a winery pickup at 10:00 in the morning for 3 pallets/90 full cases/ 3800 lbs of wine that I will have to pile in over the top of the trampoline, the 4 office chairs, the 8 foot long rolls of carpet and the bunk bed that are stacked up on the floor of my truck still waiting to be delivered.
I dont want to obey ORION and follow a school bus for 6 miles up a windy road when I already knew the bus schedule and could have easily chosen an alternate route.
I dont want to park on the wrong side of the highway and handtruck 200 lbs of copy paper across 4 lanes of traffic.

This job is already hard enough. The forced stupidity of ORION makes it even harder. I dont have anything to prove and I dont want to solve the companys problems for them. I’m just trying to survive.

bumped

My supervisor switches to RDO on the computer. I download my EDD. Supervisor switches computer back to ODO. I don't update my DIAD. Works like a charm, and us low level peons are happy and the Ivory Tower doesn't know the difference.

Future

Victory Ride
To a point I agree with you, but I am simply incapable of the level of intentional, forced stupidity that would be necessary in order for me to follow ORION. I have been conditioned over the last 31 years to make good decisions and I cannot unlearn that behavior no matter how hard I try.
Same ...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Some RDO's were hacked up over the years, or the original setup was done by a idiot driver. (Not that we have any of those.) Why not trying to fix the RDO?

I wonder if doing this would help train-wreck Orion routes, fine tuning the RDO loading chart so things are more together?