A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
11DBD897-C7E2-4AC7-836D-354F525EC6B3.jpeg
War's over man, Dean Wormer dropped the big one. Give up!

View attachment 217333
Wormer may have dropped the big one but the war is not over yet!

Wrong.
I have been instructed not to follow it and to make sure that there are no service failures.
So the fact that I still make service on everything and beat the miles while doing it my way rather than following ORION is proof that ORION is garbage.
The only thing that has changed is that the company has now intentionally made that harder to do by blocking my ability to view the manifest in a coherent order.
So this thread is about a couple of ways I have discovered to work around or defeat the artificial impediment that the company has deliberately created.
They want to make the job harder. I want to make it easier.
That is the problem. We can’t fix it. We are told to be smart, don’t follow Orion if safety or service failures will occur. So
We do it our way, and blow their metric out of the water. (We can beat some routes by 50 miles). And the higher ups think this garbage it working because our miles are way down from their inflated metrics.

babboo25

Banned
They aren't "my customers" as counterintuitive as that may be, it is the absolute truth.

It's not my hub, not my truck, not my uniform, not my packages, and in reality they aren't "my customers"

....they all inevitably and unequivocally belong to UPS.

Keep operating as if they are "your customers", and UPS will continue to play you for more than they deserve.

I prefer to give "their customers" only as much as the Company will allow.
But they are my customers. Without them I don’t have a job.

soberups

Orion 3.0....yup it gets better!
Let me guess...
No more PAL labels at all, they remove the dome light from the package compartment, cover the windshield with duct tape and attach a 40 lb. iron ball to each driver’s ankle with a chain before leaving the building.
If there is anything else they can do to make the job even harder that I have not thought of, I am sure they will add it in to ORION 4.0....

babboo25

Banned
Then I suppose it's also "your truck", because without it you couldn't deliver packages to "your customers"?

....ah no, that doesn't work either.
I’m in the same truck so yea it’s my truck, man I’m sorry your life is so miserable, UPS has really gotten the best of you.

soberups

The biggest issue I have is the conflicting instructions and the corporate cowardice being displayed by UPS.
They know it doesnt work but in order to justify the expense they have to make believe that it works.
So we are (or soon will be) given conflicting instructions.
We are still held fully responsible for any service failures, under threat of discipline, but are now carrying the additional burden of being told to generate a compliance metric.
In other words...”We demand that you make service on everything, but you are also required to be intentionally stupid 85% of the time in order to generate a favorable metric for the report. But if the route is in danger of failing, we are requiring you to immediately switch out of stupid mode and start making intelligent decisions once again in order to save it...as long as those intelligent choices only add up to 15%.”
I cant do that. I cant self-lobotomize. I cant unlearn work methods that have become ingrained in me over the last 31 years and intentionally do the job wrong in order to satisfy a compliance report. It is like telling an airline pilot that he is required to leave the autopilot on 85% of the time but it is still 100% his fault if the plane crashes.

Last edited:

proyer

If you are tearing your hair out in frustration over garbage ORION “solutions” that have you lost and running in circles and your management wont let you turn it back to RDO, ask them to print your manifest out on paper in RDO order and then turn ODO back on.
If they will do this, get yourself a clipboard so that you can organize the pages and flip thru them in much the same way you would scroll up and down in the DIAD. Once you get the hang of it, the clipboard simply becomes your new DIAD and you can work as normal.
If they refuse, and will only print them out in ODO order, then get a few highlighter pens and color code the different parts of your manifest by shelf or area, in whatever manner helps you tie it together and make sense of your dispatch.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces. Color coding the different sections of your manifest and having the pages on a clipboard can restore that to a degree and allow you to function by putting your route “back together” in a way that makes sense to you.
Pro tip: if your management agrees to print out your route in RDO order, wait to download EDD until it starts printing. This will load your DIAD in RDO, not ODO order. You will then be prompted to upload EDD again...which you will not do until after you get back to the building at night.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
That’s the part I missed ..... I did not reload Edd ...once back 2 the building .... I downloaded Rdo ...then switched it back 2 odo ....I showed up on a report as being 0% Orion compliance and all my miles over compliance ....

:censored2: em

proyer

If you are tearing your hair out in frustration over garbage ORION “solutions” that have you lost and running in circles and your management wont let you turn it back to RDO, ask them to print your manifest out on paper in RDO order and then turn ODO back on.
If they will do this, get yourself a clipboard so that you can organize the pages and flip thru them in much the same way you would scroll up and down in the DIAD. Once you get the hang of it, the clipboard simply becomes your new DIAD and you can work as normal.
If they refuse, and will only print them out in ODO order, then get a few highlighter pens and color code the different parts of your manifest by shelf or area, in whatever manner helps you tie it together and make sense of your dispatch.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces. Color coding the different sections of your manifest and having the pages on a clipboard can restore that to a degree and allow you to function by putting your route “back together” in a way that makes sense to you.
Pro tip: if your management agrees to print out your route in RDO order, wait to download EDD until it starts printing. This will load your DIAD in RDO, not ODO order. You will then be prompted to upload EDD again...which you will not do until after you get back to the building at night.
That’s the part I missed ..... I did not reload Edd ...once back 2 the building .... I downloaded Rdo ...then switched it back 2 odo ....I showed up on a report as being 0% Orion compliance and all my miles over compliance ....
That is a massive waste of time and resources when you could just simply follow Orion.
I tried it once. Can't do it. I would rather vomit in a hat, and wear it around all day

Don’t you mean “poop in a hat and wear it all day”. Lol ima funny guy

soberups

BTW does anyone actually use the map feature?
I took a look at it when I returned to work last week (I was on disability when RDO got taken out and the map installed) and not only is it functionally useless and saddled with graphics out of a 35 year old Atari system, but it will drain the DIAD battery flat by noon. And of course, none of the new cars we are getting are set up with a charging port for electronics...

proyer

That is a massive waste of time and resources when you could just simply follow Orion.
I tried it once. Can't do it. I would rather vomit in a hat, and wear it around all day
I know Drivers that have reduced their stop count as much as 30% by following Orion.
Orion Compliance of 97 to 100% will dramatically lower your stop count.
Rural route that had a min max of 110 to 125.
Now is 80 to 95 stops.
In town 25% Industrial 75% tight Resi route min max was 190 to 215
Now it is 155 to 175.
Comply with Orion and get on 9.5 list. Do way less work than ever before.

I’m a cover dr and I run Orion as close to 100 as I can, I’m always over on time and miles but, what can they say when I’m running 97%. Plus I make the reg driver look awesome. Win Win in my book.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I’m in the same truck so yea it’s my truck, man I’m sorry your life is so miserable, UPS has really gotten the best of you.
My life is fine, due to a realistic perspective and a solid filter for the Company's hypnosis.

I simply do what I'm told when it is contractual, for an hourly rate, with little to no pressure on any given day.

32+ years in and the only thing that they can take from me at this point is my time, for which I am generously compensated.

babboo25

Banned
My life is fine, due to a realistic perspective and a solid filter for the Company's hypnosis.

I simply do what I'm told when it is contractual, for an hourly rate, with little to no pressure on any given day.

32+ years in and the only thing that they can take from me at this point is my time, for which I am generously compensated.
You forgot to mention the fact that you argue with your own shadow.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
BTW does anyone actually use the map feature?
I took a look at it when I returned to work last week (I was on disability when RDO got taken out and the map installed) and not only is it functionally useless and saddled with graphics out of a 35 year old Atari system, but it will drain the DIAD battery flat by noon. And of course, none of the new cars we are getting are set up with a charging port for electronics...
Yep I've used it plenty. It works fine