A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you are tearing your hair out in frustration over garbage ORION “solutions” that have you lost and running in circles and your management wont let you turn it back to RDO, ask them to print your manifest out on paper in RDO order and then turn ODO back on.
If they will do this, get yourself a clipboard so that you can organize the pages and flip thru them in much the same way you would scroll up and down in the DIAD. Once you get the hang of it, the clipboard simply becomes your new DIAD and you can work as normal.
If they refuse, and will only print them out in ODO order, then get a few highlighter pens and color code the different parts of your manifest by shelf or area, in whatever manner helps you tie it together and make sense of your dispatch.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces. Color coding the different sections of your manifest and having the pages on a clipboard can restore that to a degree and allow you to function by putting your route “back together” in a way that makes sense to you.
Pro tip: if your management agrees to print out your route in RDO order, wait to download EDD until it starts printing. This will load your DIAD in RDO, not ODO order. You will then be prompted to upload EDD again...which you will not do until after you get back to the building at night.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As much as I agree with your disdain for Orion, I don't get paid to fix their bad plans. Just follow ODO and make extra cash.
To a point I agree with you, but I am simply incapable of the level of intentional, forced stupidity that would be necessary in order for me to follow ORION. I have been conditioned over the last 31 years to make good decisions and I cannot unlearn that behavior no matter how hard I try.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Or you just do it old school and forget EDD exists and organize it stop for stop physically. My 2000 shelf is a staging area, the rest of the truck is just a warehouse to hold neighborhoods until they reach the 2000 shelf.

Johney

Although I have never had to deal with "Orion" but I understand your frustration, and if you continue to fix their problem with your own solutions don't expect them to fix their own mess. Ever.

I haven’t looked at Orion in months. I just look on the shelves. Especially if I’m on a route cold/blind. Orion has made PAS useless.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I scroll up and down amd and run the route my way. I don't understand all the problems folks are having?
Problem I have is a large mixed usage area where Orion literally will separate the neighborhood three times through the route. It looks at streets with low numbers and ties them to other streets is says I should deliver 5 hours later.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Problem I have is a large mixed usage area where Orion literally will separate the neighborhood three times through the route. It looks at streets with low numbers and ties them to other streets is says I should deliver 5 hours later.
Yea, I have some of that, but I usually spot stops on the shelf so I remember to scroll.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yea, I have some of that, but I usually spot stops on the shelf so I remember to scroll.
I find it easier to just pull the streets by RDO on the shelf and throw them in sections on the floor.

EDD is just a tool to tell me how many stops and pieces on that street.

Last edited:

Or just know your delivery area. I can just scrool through the diad a few times and know how ima run it
I can’t do that on your area. Orion wants me to fail. So first stop spa’d 1246 then 1254 then 1278, rdr, 1292, 1308, 1314....see easy peasy.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To a point I agree with you, but I am simply incapable of the level of intentional, forced stupidity that would be necessary in order for me to follow ORION. I have been conditioned over the last 31 years to make good decisions and I cannot unlearn that behavior no matter how hard I try.
You're incapable of simply following directions?

Future

Victory Ride
If you are tearing your hair out in frustration over garbage ORION “solutions” that have you lost and running in circles and your management wont let you turn it back to RDO, ask them to print your manifest out on paper in RDO order and then turn ODO back on.
If they will do this, get yourself a clipboard so that you can organize the pages and flip thru them in much the same way you would scroll up and down in the DIAD. Once you get the hang of it, the clipboard simply becomes your new DIAD and you can work as normal.
If they refuse, and will only print them out in ODO order, then get a few highlighter pens and color code the different parts of your manifest by shelf or area, in whatever manner helps you tie it together and make sense of your dispatch.
Success at this job is about recognizing and remembering patterns. Forced ORION destroys your ability to get the big picture and cripples your ability to adjust to changing conditions by chopping your route into incomprehensible bits and pieces. Color coding the different sections of your manifest and having the pages on a clipboard can restore that to a degree and allow you to function by putting your route “back together” in a way that makes sense to you.
Pro tip: if your management agrees to print out your route in RDO order, wait to download EDD until it starts printing. This will load your DIAD in RDO, not ODO order. You will then be prompted to upload EDD again...which you will not do until after you get back to the building at night.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
That’s the part I missed ..... I did not reload Edd ...once back 2 the building .... I downloaded Rdo ...then switched it back 2 odo ....I showed up on a report as being 0% Orion compliance and all my miles over compliance ....

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
I use printout manifest only when I need to know where my NDAs are on the car and at what point or points I need to break ODO that makes common sense. I dont like delivering to pitch black planes communities at night with 1/4 mile driveways in the hills. I avg a mile over, 89% trace, but avg -.58 under allowed. So they dont say ish to me.

Last edited: