Accident

1pocket73

Hi all,
Well,it has been 2 weeks now since I started driving and earlier this week I got into what UPS deems an "avoidable" accident.We had 8 inches of snow that day.I had 7 stops left in this neighborhood after a very grueling day.I needed to turn the truck around to continue so I turned into a school parking lot that was completely empty due to the winter storm.I felt that it was the safest way to go about it.So I drive into the lot and with 8 inches of snow on the ground it looks like just one big even paved surface.Seeing previous tire tracks already in the snow doing exactly what I have in mind,I begin to follow those tracks,simply making a uturn to my left.Well,I get halfway into the turn and begin to start spinning out.I realize that I could be getting stuck,so I started trying to rock the truck back and forth between reverse and drive.After about 10 minutes of this I accept the fact that I am stuck.I get out of the truck and look down by my back tires only to find that I am in the grass! I couldn't believe it.
Anyway,I call the center and tell my sup about the situation.She tells me to hang tight and help is on the way.My center manager shows up and gets out of his car to assess the situation.Now this is his first day at our center because to everyones surprise,all but 1 of the sups were gone and replaced the previous day.So we basically have all new management overnight! So he approaches my truck and says"Dude...you're. In the grass.This is property damage! " I guess the ruts from my tires are considered property damage.
Long story short,I was charged with an avoidable accident but I did not lose my driving priveledges.I am grateful to still have my job,but on the same note it sucks to already have an accident on my file,especially over something so small in such extreme conditions.The certified letter came in the mail today that basically made it official.Now I get to sweat it for a year and do my best to avoid another incident.According to our contract,3 "at fault" accidents within a 1 year period is grounds for termination.
I attached a photo of the accident scene.
2013-03-05_18-31-04_887.jpg

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When you can't see the difference between the road and grass isn't that grounds for EC? We don't deal with that crap down here so I'm genuinely curious.

brown67

That's an accident. Never drive where you don't know what's under the snow. I had a country route and when the snow got deep I stopped going down driveways. Not worth the accident.

jaker

trolling
How long have you been driving really , by that I mean are you still in your 30 days or done

Just because your center manager acted ok with what happen does not mean he will DQ you when your 30 days are up because of it

yeldarb

Usually with a DQ, I think your done driving right there. Also, if you have an accident, and they ask if your okay to drive, always say yes and drive. If they instruct you to drive after an accident, no matter how serious, they cannot terminate you for that occurrence.

instantK

That's a bunch BS if you get DQ for getting stuck in the snow...which seems you wont

That's an accident. Never drive where you don't know what's under the snow. I had a country route and when the snow got deep I stopped going down driveways. Not worth the accident.

He did it was a BIG EMPTY parking lot.... SO he got in the grass... ITS :censored2: GRASSS...

kingOFchester

A few thoughts.

Sorry that this happened. This seems to be a case where trying to avoid a back has actually caused the "accident". I will back before attempting anything that puts me more at risk.

It is just grass. Your center will now be charged thousands of dollars against its budget for something that is nothing more then a several $100 fix. The center manager will now be belittled on a conference call with his bosses. Tree's will be cut down for the endless handouts and reports. Demo's will be planned. Power points will be made. It will be discussed ad nauseum at countless meetings. And the list goes on and on over something that is not a big deal in the real world.

That said, I do notice that the drive.parking lot looks like it was plowed at some point and where your truck is located looks like it was never plowed. I would think that would of been a clue that you probably should not of adventured into that area. This is just what I get from the picture. I would venture to guess that perhaps fatigue do to working in the weather conditions with a heavy workload played a part in the "accident". That is if I am depicting the picture correctly.

Again, sorry for the situation and good luck.

QKRSTKR

Have you driven since the accident? I think if they dq you it would have to be right away. If your still in your 30 days. Hopefully they don't dq you and it's a learning experience.

menotyou

bella amicizia
1. Sorry for your situation.

2. Totally agree with Indecisi0n.

3. Armchair quarterbacking here, I am seeing what Chester sees. It looks like there is a difference between the parking lot and the grass. I doubt that was easy to see from your vantage point at the time, though.

4. Get some Tide for those tires. You really grass stained them. Mom is going to be really mad!!!!!

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It is just grass. Your center will now be charged thousands of dollars against its budget for something that is nothing more then a several $100 fix. The center manager will now be belittled on a conference call with his bosses. Tree's will be cut down for the endless handouts and reports. Demo's will be planned. Power points will be made. It will be discussed ad nauseum at countless meetings. And the list goes on and on over something that is not a big deal in the real world.

the secret reason we do not want you in a crash is revealed.....now what are we going to do...:upssmiley:

1pocket73

I was not DQ from driving.My center manager and sup came to the scene and would not let me drive the truck back once the tow truck got it back on the pavement.When I got back to the center I took some S&V test that my sup told me I had to get 100% on(I did).It was determined to be a tier 1accident from what I saw her typing.

Anyhow the next morning I show up for work and go out on an all day safety ride with one of the new sups.We delivered around 60 stops and picked up missorts from drivers.Before we left the center I had to sit in my center manager's office,explain what happened the night before and then get a lecture about driving safely and a few other things I did wrong(diad related).

So the morning after that my sup came over with a ton of paperwork and went through my performance,etc.When he was done he shook my hand and said "Have a good day out there".So I did my route for the next few days and thats that.

yeldarb

What's done is done. Get that incident out of your head. UPS has a way of making employees stress out, and that stress they create might make you mess up again through overcompensating. Go out, follow the methods, and play your game without the coach in your head. The year will pass and you will be fine.

S

serenity now

What's done is done. Get that incident out of your head. UPS has a way of making employees stress out, and that stress they create might make you mess up again through overcompensating. Go out, follow the methods, and play your game without the coach in your head. The year will pass and you will be fine.

totally agree * throw it out like yesterday's trash