Accused of harassment

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
2 years with company, I was handed picked by business agent to be steward because I already had the contract memorized, and was already picking fights. I know ALL my rights. There is just some things not clarified by the contract and I haven't been around long enough to know the "unwritten rules" or all the past practices or the extra agreements per building.
as a women this makes me SICK SICK SICK!!!! women nowadays throw that harassment or sexual harassment accusation around like its water.

yes. I agree. this was probably an intimidation ploy to scare you off. my best advice is this. when speaking to a women in a professional situation have a WITNESS.

sad but necessary. CYA. ( cover your butt )

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
No. This sounds like a load of UPS BS to me.

As a steward, you have a measure of latitude in dealing with management. While acting in the role as a steward, you are considered a manager's equal. This gives you the right to curse and even use "abusive" language when dealing with management. This does NOT give you the right to use sexually charged/racist/violent language; not claiming you did by any stretch but just being thorough.

This legal status is the most protected when you are in the office and is reduced the more it can be argued that you're causing an interruption of the employer's operation. This protection does not apply at all when you are being confronted with your own job performance or role as an employee. I've "cursed out" business and division managers before (while acting as a steward) and I'm still working there.

That being said, "harassment" is a vague term. It's a stickier situation because a female supervisor is involved but I don't think you'll take a hit on this one. Always try to have members within ear shot when you confront them on the workroom floor.
Agree 100%. I might add that if in office the center manager starts getting loud , I start getting loud. We are not children , and I refuse to be treated as a child being scolded.

ArcherUTR

I'm far from being a steward and I am in a right to work state,

"Hey sup, you seem to be doing a lot of 'hourly duties', is there a reason why? Do you have any 'hourlies' available to do this contract work instead?"

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'm far from being a steward and I am in a right to work state,

"Hey sup, you seem to be doing a lot of 'hourly duties', is there a reason why? Do you have any 'hourlies' available to do this contract work instead?"
Sup "hey ArcherUTR,why are you not working , you are not on break, that is stealing time " hope you are a dues paying member of the union , or know your contract inside out,or it could get ugly quick , in a right to work state.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The other stories they are going to try and scare you with as steward are you instructing the workforce and your telling drivers to slow down
there is no problem with educating the workforce about their rights. they got real mad about me doing that. I told them every time they nit picked me anything stupid I would start educating the other drivers. as far as I am concerned everything they speak to me about is STUPID.

I guess I am just a product of UPS management. "thy shall reap what ye sow."

box_beeyotch

In my building the sups would say they are training and just keep working.

They tried that on me once. Filed anyway, as the employee they were working with was loading a trailer and had been for almost 2 weeks. Doesn't take 2 weeks to train someone how to scan a package (where the scanner will pop with a message for a misload) and then build walls of packages. Pretty self explanatory in my opinion.

PT Car Washer

They tried that on me once. Filed anyway, as the employee they were working with was loading a trailer and had been for almost 2 weeks. Doesn't take 2 weeks to train someone how to scan a package (where the scanner will pop with a message for a misload) and then build walls of packages. Pretty self explanatory in my opinion.
How about training a 25 year seniority employee because the PT sup would be much faster. We call them watchers in my building. The PTers don't mind as they get paid top dollar ($33.60/hr) to watch a PT sup sweat and tell them they are not working fast enough.

box_beeyotch

They do 30 days of training in my building

Training and doing the work for them are two different things in my opinion and our local agrees. The problem is most part timers don't care and would rather not work that hard or they speak up and the supervisor calls it training, thus making them afraid to file for fear of it being thrown out or retaliated upon.

box_beeyotch

How about training a 25 year seniority employee because the PT sup would be much faster. We call them watchers in my building. The PTers don't mind as they get paid top dollar ($33.60/hr) to watch a PT sup sweat and tell them they are not working fast enough.

Actually at that point it's almost funny because your making way more money than they are and you get to see them dying sweating to death. When your part time at 11 dollars an hour, it's a little different story though.