AFL-CIO spending money like the banks

mnnice

Today the news networks were reporting that the AFL-CIO were having a convention in Miami at a luxurious hotel. The room rates range from $400-$1125.
Thousands of union workers are being laid off and losing jobs each and every day and we have union officals spending money like the executives of banks.
Many times our leaders send messages by the things they do and not by the things they say. I would say this is a outrageous gesture on their part and they should be answering to the laid off employees and workers that are making concessions.
They should be setting the example instead of being the example of wasteful spending.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Today the news networks were reporting that the AFL-CIO were having a convention in Miami at a luxurious hotel. The room rates range from $400-$1125.
Thousands of union workers are being laid off and losing jobs each and every day and we have union officals spending money like the executives of banks.
Many times our leaders send messages by the things they do and not by the things they say. I would say this is a outrageous gesture on their part and they should be answering to the laid off employees and workers that are making concessions.
They should be setting the example instead of being the example of wasteful spending.

I'm confused--since UPS hourly employees are members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, how does the above relate to UPS discussions? Is this just another one of your rants about Unions?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm confused--since UPS hourly employees are members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, how does the above relate to UPS discussions? Is this just another one of your rants about Unions?

I'm not sure if I am going to move this to the Labor or Current Events Forums...........

..............and the Teamsters are no longer members of the AFL-CIO.

The IBT got out of the AFL-CIO several years ago.

HBGPreloader

Well it should make you wonder a little about our union too. Times are tough and everyone is being forced to make sacrifices. However, politicians and some unions seem to be exempt.
At the national level, the teamsters have nearly 700 employees and officers with about 175 of them making over $75k a year, based on available data from 2006. If you follow this link...
http://www.unionfacts.com/unions/unionOfficers.cfm?id=93&year=2006
You may find the number employees and officers making over $100k a year to be much higher.

Checkers