Again with this topic..

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Again with this topic..

I came out of work today and started talking with a few friends of mine who preload with me and are replacement drivers. Another person came out in a huff with another kid flowing him saying “what’s wrong?” he replied “it’s over!”. He turned to us because one of the people with me asked him what was over.

He heard from another high ranking supervisor that our HUB was going to get rid of the twilight shift and move them over to ours, grave yard. This would also get rid of those with five years under seniority at the end of July. I posted this awhile ago, after over hearing it from a feeder loader. Some of you said rumors are rumors and so on alike. This is what I told him as well.

Seriously I can’t see them doing such a thing as this. You’re going to take a load of new people off what they’re doing and good at into a nightmare such as preloading? Talk about stringing themselves up (as always really). Preload at my building has a 70% turnover rate, meaning most of them don’t even stay around for 90 days. Preload is a death sentence if you want to get anywhere in this company. In fact, the percentage of drivers at my building who started out preloading is under 10%, around 7-8%.

Even one of my friends who was there with me, and made 55,000$ last year cover driving, after preloading for more then a year is thinking about quitting because of the working conditions. And he preloaded eight trucks at another building. I see bad news written all over this ordeal if it does come to fruition.

And you drivers out there, you think the load was bad then, just wait and see if this were a reality.

Honestly I don’t see it happening. They would have to put one sup to each new person loading. Efficiency of the building would drop quiet significantly due to miss loads, late air, slow loading and poor loading. Plus people up and quitting as another story I'll share.

Back in the day UPS used to hire people straight out on the street to drive. Of course after awhile they started receiving massive amounts of grievances. I guess UPS learned their lesson after that.

I would like to know if this were being discussed at your building at all. If a supervisor could fill us in if they know anything. It could be just our building. Thanks for your time, hope you enjoyed reading!

Last edited:

brownIEman

Couple glaring problems in your story.

First, UPS cannot shut down a Twilight or local sort without shutting down the entire operation, otherwise what do we do with the packages drivers pick up? Wait till preload/sunrise to process and add another day to their TNT? No.

Second, a preloader doing 8 cars? not unless either they are very extended routes with 20 stops each or you are running a 7 hour sort span. Either way, hard to buy.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

First, UPS cannot shut down a Twilight or local sort without shutting down the entire operation, otherwise what do we do with the packages drivers pick up? Wait till preload/sunrise to process and add another day to their TNT? No.

Second, a preloader doing 8 cars? not unless either they are very extended routes with 20 stops each or you are running a 7 hour sort span. Either way, hard to buy.

That does make sense.

About the other thing. In our HUB, there are people loading 5, 6 and 7. Our building is very very busy during the week. I just loaded a car this week on monday that had 415 packages in it, 200 for just one stop.

The more cars you have is a sign that you're doing home delievery. These numbers range from 120 packages and some up to 250. Ive walked along the east side of our building and had a peak at some those cars. Bearly anything in them.

That building he was loading was a small small center with very few employees. Some buildings around the country only boast 43 total employees. I can believe in some of them people are loading 8 cars with small amounts in each because I ve seen those types in our HUB.

Last edited:

fethrs

Again with this topic..

after preloading for more then a year is thinking about quitting because of the working conditions

I preloaded 4 trucks plus a split truck for 7 years. I am female, I'm short and I had a hard time too, but I did it. Back then we didn't have pal labels or PAS. We had load charts. The were so many variations on the labels/address I had to be very, very careful about using the load chart.

There were even/odd numbered addys, Blvd, St, Ave, addys some with same street name. Had to look up the addy on the load chart hanging above the slide, write in on the pkg, then look it up on the chart in the truck and make sure it wasn't a misload.
If this guy can't hang after one year....

raceanoncr

I preloaded 4 trucks plus a split truck for 7 years. I am female, I'm short and I had a hard time too, but I did it. Back then we didn't have pal labels or PAS. We had load charts. The were so many variations on the labels/address I had to be very, very careful about using the load chart.

There were even/odd numbered addys, Blvd, St, Ave, addys some with same street name. Had to look up the addy on the load chart hanging above the slide, write in on the pkg, then look it up on the chart in the truck and make sure it wasn't a misload.

Geez, fethrs, wish I woulda had you for preloader back in the day. Sounds like you actually DID the job. My loads were always so screwed up, I had to take 1/2 hour or more just to write misloads or out of sequence loads every day. That is, when we were required to hand write such. Anybody remember this?

fethrs

Geez, fethrs, wish I woulda had you for preloader back in the day. Sounds like you actually DID the job. My loads were always so screwed up, I had to take 1/2 hour or more just to write misloads or out of sequence loads every day. That is, when we were required to hand write such. Anybody remember this?

Thanks race, I loaded the trucks for the drivers, not the sups and it worked well.

UPSGUY72

That does make sense.

About the other thing. In our HUB, there are people loading 5, 6 and 7. Our building is very very busy during the week. I just loaded a car this week on monday that had 415 packages in it, 200 for just one stop.

The more cars you have is a sign that you're doing home delievery. These numbers range from 120 packages and some up to 250. Ive walked along the east side of our building and had a peak at some those cars. Bearly anything in them.

That building he was loading was a small small center with very few employees. Some buildings around the country only boast 43 total employees. I can believe in some of them people are loading 8 cars with small amounts in each because I ve seen those types in our HUB.

My building has around 30 routes a day plus or minus do to volume which averages around 6000 a day. I know in are building each preloader loads 3 Car except for two that load 4 however the four on each of those are bulk stops. More than 3 car in a four hour period is hard to believe.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Ahhhhhh, the good ole days!:wink2:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
As for the new HIN number or PASS system, we are given each package as a single number. Weight and size dont imply. Sups believe you should be doing atleast 230 an hour.

I can just imagen the amount of time and care it would take back in the day doing it by the address. The PASS system I soon started to realize was more of a suggestion. In time I could set up the entire car by address. One driver said to me one day he had a record amount of drops in a day because of it, and he is 63.

Theres a guy on the other side of my side of the line who loads 5 cars, the most anyone has on the west, all of the home delievery. The east however is more house and has people loading more then 5 most of the time. Unless they are buisness routes and are 3 or 4.

My building has around 215 routes, very very busy. And around 11,000 to 15,000 a day.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Well, I must retracked. He made 55,000 as a weekend driver. Working one day a week is the good life. Plus covering when called to do so.

Preloading is tough at our building. Our side of the line is mainly Buisness over home. Lots of heavey stuff to lift. I just loaded something into a car that was 120 pounds and I lifted it up in my arms and brought it in. The other day I brought a 115 pounder into someone elses truck by myself.

At our side we deal with a majority of packages that are extremly heavey. About 65% over 50 pounds 20% eregs and everything else inbetween. Clocking in at 4:50am and clocking out at 8:40am.

Ha, my sup handed me a page full of add/cut at 8:00am this morning. Right at that moment they called lastrev. Cages almost full worth of stuff coming down the line. Boy was I fustered.

Preloaders have alot more responsibilities then most titles at this hour. Air, hazmat, safety test, eregs, add/cut, loading, writting, packing, egress, hazmat test, damages, separating, categorizing, cataloging, recalling, memorizing, charging(knowing how to, when asked) and helping other preloaders. If I forgot one please adress. XD~!~

About the topic, I asked someone at work that has been around for about 8 years. He told me that a COE from Atlanta, hired from the outside of UPS, is making these proposals. Most other COEs are from within UPS. They once loaded, unloaded etc etc. This guy is trying to push twlight out and over the other shift. The problem is that pickups are getting bigger, thus twilight is getting bigger. Handling all these things at one timeframe would be impossible.

This guy is trying to make things more profitable due to his Harverd degree speaking, not the UPS family who actually own this buisness. Thats right, UPS people own this company. To say you were fired because of reforming of timeframes would mean you would have to say goodbye to your kids, mother and father.

The union is ( I heard) fighting this thing. I dont care for the union, due to its political agendas, but that is a one up for me for the union. This thing is real so beaware and hope for the best.

Last edited:

sano

My building has around 30 routes a day plus or minus do to volume which averages around 6000 a day. I know in are building each preloader loads 3 Car except for two that load 4 however the four on each of those are bulk stops. More than 3 car in a four hour period is hard to believe.
25 routes on our dock +/-. All preloaders loading 4 cars, except 2 with smaller cars have 5. I load 4 and have over 1000 packages nearly everyday. 2 weeks ago had a week that my lightest day was 1120 heaviest was almost 1500.

christian c

25 routes on our dock +/-. All preloaders loading 4 cars, except 2 with smaller cars have 5. I load 4 and have over 1000 packages nearly everyday. 2 weeks ago had a week that my lightest day was 1120 heaviest was almost 1500.

1500 is insane i hope they are small pkgs. I have a little over 1000 a day but they are mostly big packages to businesses and irregs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1500 is insane i hope they are small pkgs. I have a little over 1000 a day but they are mostly big packages to businesses and irregs.

Actually, if they are all business or mostly business routes, 1500 is not that insane. 1500/4 is 375 per car, which is about what I average each day. 75 are WalMart and Sams and 50 to 75 are for the college so that is 3 stops and nearly 1/3 of my pkg car.

W

westsideworma

Those were the good old days...I loved loading under the alpha charts, back when we could actually fix things for the driver if needed and use our brains (yes some preloaders really do want to perform well for you guys), now its a whole ridiculously stupid process to get a PAL changed to help a driver out....its garbage. Most loaders still move things to help a driver but are browbeaten if a higher up management person notices "YOU WORK FOR UPS NOT THE DRIVER" which is true, but in a sense we do work for the drivers too (our work directly affected theirs).

I had about a misload a month/every other month on the alpha charts, I had 12 my first month on PAS...needless to say I'm not a fan. I could also go much faster because I didn't need to worry about checking for out of syncs or system flips, just the worldship label and thats it. If it had a bad address it was the shippers fault, not yours.

I like you had 4 cars plus a split car sometimes but it didn't seem as bad as it does now even though I had more work then, not sure why.

Now I'm a supe and I'm trying my best to make sure these guys get it right using the tools UPS has given them (PAS). I throw in my own tips and tricks as well as unlike some supes I did the job for a few years, not a few weeks before crossing over.

W

westsideworma

Actually, if they are all business or mostly business routes, 1500 is not that insane. 1500/4 is 375 per car, which is about what I average each day. 75 are WalMart and Sams and 50 to 75 are for the college so that is 3 stops and nearly 1/3 of my pkg car.

I don't think its so much that package count that is insane, but what is insane is that they are expected to have that loaded in 4 hrs upstate...like they are at my building, that is 375 PPH and in preloading that just doesn't happen. The fastest I ever did (boxline to car) was about 300 and I was killing myself to get that as I just wanted to get the heck out of there on that particular day.

W

westsideworma

believe it, I've had to do it when someone was out.

filthpig

Preach sister!

sano

I don't think its so much that package count that is insane, but what is insane is that they are expected to have that loaded in 4 hrs upstate...like they are at my building, that is 375 PPH and in preloading that just doesn't happen. The fastest I ever did (boxline to car) was about 300 and I was killing myself to get that as I just wanted to get the heck out of there on that particular day.
I should have mentioned that on heavy days, say over 1100 or 1150, I do need help getting cleaned up at the end of the day. at almost 1500 (1486 to be exact) I had stuff piled behind every truck by the time my cages were empty.

The extra volume was from a testing company getting all their end of year test sent back to them for grading. Boxes full of paper. I think they said 25# but I am not sure.

Hey, the last time I had a gym membership it cost me every month, here they actually pay me to work out.:happy-very: