All about sleepers in the bay

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I mean sleeper is pretty big bucks compared to other ups jobs no matter what right?

I’ve never done sleeper team. I just never wanted to live in the tractor. But, yes, that is where you CAN make the most money. As someone said, the big money is having a four day sleeper job, then working extra. I know guys that can make $4000 a week.

But that’s a lot of working to me. I run mileage, and with extra work, I can make $3000 a week. And I get to sleep in my bed everyday.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’ve never done sleeper team. I just never wanted to live in the tractor. But, yes, that is where you CAN make the most money. As someone said, the big money is having a four day sleeper job, then working extra. I know guys that can make $4000 a week.

But that’s a lot of working to me. I run mileage, and with extra work, I can make $3000 a week. And I get to sleep in my bed everyday.
That was my guess.....3-4K for most guys on sleeper teams.

Dracula

Sleeper drivers are a different breed. A lot of those guys piss in a bottle because they don’t want to stop. And a lot of those sleeper tractors have a real funk to them.

No thanks.

raceanoncr

Sleeper drivers are a different breed. A lot of those guys piss in a bottle because they don’t want to stop. And a lot of those sleeper tractors have a real funk to them.

No thanks.

Nope, not in our case. NEVER peed in bottle. We WANTED to get out once in a while.

No FUNK, either. At the end of a run, the interior was stripped and Febreze'd, every week and sometimes DURING the week. Laid scrap carpet down and kept vacuum in cab and used daily.

NOTHING on dash, either. Paper, radios, crap, NOTHING.

All trash was collected in bag and dumped at every stop.

Maplewood

Can anyone give me the full run down on the sleeper teams coming out of Richmond ca or in general
how your paid
how much your paid weekly
How far do they travel
Do you get hourly as well
How many days a week are you away from home
most runs are 4 days on the road with the option to work a 5th day usually at ot back home. hourly + split miles with other driver.

Quickdraw

@Dracula as a former road driver before coming to ups you clearly have no idea of what semi life is like on the road. Sure some guys piss in bottles and don't ever take showers wear the same sweat pants everyday and smell like the ass end of a cow that sat in pig :censored2: but that is only a small slice of the people out there most guys enjoy getting out of the truck and stretching their legs using a normal bathroom getting a shower and feeling refreshed most drivers are normal so to assume that all road drivers are slobs... well nevermind leave all the millage runs for me that's okay I enjoy making the big bucks.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Nope, not in our case. NEVER peed in bottle. We WANTED to get out once in a while.

No FUNK, either. At the end of a run, the interior was stripped and Febreze'd, every week and sometimes DURING the week. Laid scrap carpet down and kept vacuum in cab and used daily.

That sounds like the way to do it.

Dracula

@Dracula as a former road driver before coming to ups you clearly have no idea of what semi life is like on the road. Sure some guys piss in bottles and don't ever take showers wear the same sweat pants everyday and smell like the ass end of a cow that sat in pig :censored2: but that is only a small slice of the people out there most guys enjoy getting out of the truck and stretching their legs using a normal bathroom getting a shower and feeling refreshed most drivers are normal so to assume that all road drivers are slobs... well nevermind leave all the millage runs for me that's okay I enjoy making the big bucks.

I don’t think I said ALL sleeper teams. And I do run mileage. I just come home everyday.

Indecisi0n

Boring

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
90k a year to work 3 days a week....where do I sign up? Lol

We have quite a few sleeper runs and none are like those described. Almost all work through part of the weekend and are out 4.5-5.5 days a week. If I could do 3-4 days midweek I would jump on it.

ICC or whatever it's called can also change runs at will (or so I've been told). New runs start out as nice 3.5 day runs with around 3,800 miles and next thing you know they add another SDFAS leg and your at 5.5 days and 5,400 miles.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have quite a few sleeper runs and none are like those described. Almost all work through part of the weekend and are out 4.5-5.5 days a week. If I could do 3-4 days midweek I would jump on it.

ICC or whatever it's called can also change runs at will (or so I've been told). New runs start out as nice 3.5 day runs with around 3,800 miles and next thing you know they add another SDFAS leg and your at 5.5 days and 5,400 miles.
Just like everything at ups. We'd like
More free time but at least we are compensated well.

raceanoncr

Yep. You're EXTREMELY on target. I can tell you've been there. You know EXACTLY what's going on. The most BORING thing I've ever done in my life.

Hauling double trailers through St Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Dallas, sometimes Pittsburgh and Phillie, mostly in rush hour traffic, up and down snow covered I-94 thru Wisconsin, trying to miss all the rough spots (I.E. the whole USA) so your partner can sleep, watching the Qualcomm light up when you don't answer Louisville right away about some inane issue, having a breakdown in BFE and explaining to Louisville why you CAN'T move (one time in Denver, we had light malfunction. Called Louisville. They said we HAD to get going because it was light THERE) and waiting for Penske to show a couple hours later, hauling the same MTs over 2100 miles back and forth after you told base camp you didn't need to, working every Thanksgiving weekend, every July 4th weekend, getting woke up at 4 AM on your day off asking if you'd be available IF something extra comes up, staying up all night when it's your partner's turn to lead out at 6 AM so you can sleep then...

I agree, it's the most BORING job I've ever had. Well played.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Do you really rest while travelling?

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Yep. You're EXTREMELY on target. I can tell you've been there. You know EXACTLY what's going on. The most BORING thing I've ever done in my life.

Hauling double trailers through St Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Dallas, sometimes Pittsburgh and Phillie, mostly in rush hour traffic, up and down snow covered I-94 thru Wisconsin, trying to miss all the rough spots (I.E. the whole USA) so your partner can sleep, watching the Qualcomm light up when you don't answer Louisville right away about some inane issue, having a breakdown in BFE and explaining to Louisville why you CAN'T move (one time in Denver, we had light malfunction. Called Louisville. They said we HAD to get going because it was light THERE) and waiting for Penske to show a couple hours later, hauling the same MTs over 2100 miles back and forth after you told base camp you didn't need to, working every Thanksgiving weekend, every July 4th weekend, getting woke up at 4 AM on your day off asking if you'd be available IF something extra comes up, staying up all night when it's your partner's turn to lead out at 6 AM so you can sleep then...

I believe Indecisi0n meant keeping a neat, tidy tractor was boring. But, continue....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Do you lose money when delayed?