Am a new FT driver

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
One of the reasons I'm happy about the job is that the supervisor is apparently well-liked, I know a driver at the location and he says supe does well for the drivers. I also have a non-UPS friend who knows him and says he is a decent guy outside of work. I'm sure I'll get sarcastic replies and that's fine, I'm hoping for the best.

Oh, in that case you’ve got no worries

Box Ox

One of the reasons I'm happy about the job is that the supervisor is apparently well-liked, I know a driver at the location and he says supe does well for the drivers. I also have a non-UPS friend who knows him and says he is a decent guy outside of work. I'm sure I'll get sarcastic replies and that's fine, I'm hoping for the best.

Unfortunately you can have fantastic on-car supervisors who are blunted by a soulless center manager who likes to pee in everybody's cornflakes for no good reason. Hopefully you'll get a good draw for your whole management team.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Supervisors and managers get transferred every 2 or 3 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Haven't yet been to UPS driving school where I assume some of these questions will be answered but in the meantime:
1. My shift will be M-friend, how does a driver schedule appointments, like doc visit, that happen during normal business hours? Or other normal life business items like getting a car registered and sitting in motor vehicle department? What about taking dog to vet or emergencies?
2. What is requirement for female driver attire and hair?
3. My brother said he just received a couch via UPS and that he helped the driver off load it. Geez. What happens when a package is clearly too big for one person to handle?
4. What happens if the truck breaks down on route?
5. Do driver's change their own tires if flat? I've changed flat tires but can't imagine jacking up a big 'ol UPS truck.
Thanks in advance! Excited for this new career.

1. These are what day's off are for. It would be very difficult to run errands while you are on road, especially as a new driver.

2. Business like hairstyle----standard UPS uniform.

3. You either ask for help at the stop or you call the center and ask them to send you help.

4. You call the center and depending upon what is wrong they will either send a mechanic or a tow truck. You code the breakdown in your DIAD to account for the lost time.

5. No---see above.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building, waiting till it is slower and then asking for an unpaid day on a Monday or Tuesday is usually doable. Someone that schedules a Doctor's appointment on a Friday is just dumb.