Am I required to work more than 5 hours each day as a part time package handler?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If I start at 4, can I leave at 9 without getting in trouble, or am I required to stay until they tell me I can leave?

You can just say friend* it after your 5 is up give the one finger salute on your way out if you really want to make a statement

snarts

Local 804 here, we can leave after 5 hours without getting discipline, this is even backed by our union. Can't tell you why as I don't see any language in our supplement about it but many people here including myself leave after 5 and never get discipline. Just do them the courtesy of telling them at the start of the shift that you will be leaving after 5 hours.

Local 804 here, we can leave after 5 hours without getting discipline, this is even backed by our union. Can't tell you why as I don't see any language in our supplement about it but many people here including myself leave after 5 and never get discipline. Just do them the courtesy of telling them at the start of the shift that you will be leaving after 5 hours.
Ask the Maspeth 250....

snarts

Part timers being at the mercy of the company when it comes to being able to leave makes no sense. What is stopping them from making us work 8 hours days? Why would they need to hire full time inside workers than?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
One of the preloaders I have sometimes puts everything on the wrong shelf and leaves at 9 whether they are done or not. And he still has a job.

BeachBoy

Part timers being at the mercy of the company when it comes to being able to leave makes no sense. What is stopping them from making us work 8 hours days? Why would they need to hire full time inside workers than?
Part time. 2019, 2300 hours. 2020, 2250 hours.
I live frugally, but it would be nice to be paid as a full-time employee, both for pay, and pension.
Will work on that in the local supplement next contract, with few hopes.

Mdet

Hey in our center if u leave they can discipline you for leaving your area. Hey u get overtime once u hit 5hrs as a pre loader so take the money. I know once I hit 5hrs I slow down a lot and still load well enough so my drivers can just bang it out.

Hey in our center if u leave they can discipline you for leaving your area. Hey u get overtime once u hit 5hrs as a pre loader so take the money. I know once I hit 5hrs I slow down a lot and still load well enough so my drivers can just bang it out.
Some people have family obligations, school or another job to go to

Maybe next contract they could negotiate some better language on this.

BrownSnowFlake

our preload works 7-8 hour shifts during peak, starting between midnight and 0100

BrownSnowFlake

at 5 hours and one minute you are making $21/hr to... lift boxes
apprentice plumbers get $15 to stand in trenches full of knee-deep peepeepoopoo
stay until the job's done