amazon and saturdays?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not sure what kind of hours you guys work but there's hardly anyone who would have 8hrs available without a day off during the week. Those that do have hours are on the 9.5 and would t work Saturday voluntarily anyways.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not surprised to hear this. I figured it would happen sooner or later. Our competition is already on it so it was bound to happen. UPS is still #1 but the general public is slowly but surely becoming inpatient and wants everything as quick as possible. The days of having to wait for two entire excruciating days for Monday to arrive are going away.

It would be nice to have a weekday off without having to miss work or burn an option day. I, like many, chose UPS because of having weekends off. I was much younger then and mainly had partying in mind for those two days. I could care less about that now though. I'd probably be down for a Tuesday-Saturday gig. I'm not excited for that though.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The only way ups will make money on this is to offer it as a separate service from regular ground M-friend. This way, they add a surcharge and mix it in with the Saturday air volume. I'm betting it won't be a regular ground deal. It would be very cost prohibitive to offer regular ground Monday through Saturday.

This is a chance for ups to add another service to its portfolio. There are a lot of places that are closed on Saturday. Ups would not just run this volume on Saturday just to run it. They'll organize it to where Saturday ground has its own special designation on the tracking number.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If there's no extra pickups on Saturday, Monday would become a virtual ghost town.
Monday routes would cover way more area than get slammed for pickups.

We would have to get guarantees from Amazon of extra volume or costs would be through the roof.

Overpaid Union Thug

If there's no extra pickups on Saturday, Monday would become a virtual ghost town.

We would have to get guarantees from Amazon of extra volume or costs would be through the roof.
If Amazon did actually approach us then thats a good thing. That means they obviously want us on board. I think that would almost guarantee that Amazon would divert some volume to us. Otherwise they wouldn't be approaching us about Saturdays. I'm just anxious to see how UPS handles this. Tuesday-Saturday or are they actually considering sticking with the sixth punch rule? Seems like that would be too costly and not worth it. I think my center wouldn't have any trouble getting enough 6th punch drivers. But I have no idea how many routes would be needed.
The only way ups will make money on this is to offer it as a separate service from regular ground M-friend. This way, they add a surcharge and mix it in with the Saturday air volume. I'm betting it won't be a regular ground deal. It would be very cost prohibitive to offer regular ground Monday through Saturday.

This is a chance for ups to add another service to its portfolio. There are a lot of places that are closed on Saturday. Ups would not just run this volume on Saturday just to run it. They'll organize it to where Saturday ground has its own special designation on the tracking number.

I'm wondering if this will just be for Amazon. Or if UPS is planing on opening up Saturdays for all ground.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Exactly. That's why it would be like Saturday air.

And Amazon will have to actually pay.

Anyone wondering why Amazon wants us todo Saturdays when they could easily send those orders USPS , FedEx ground or use their own Amazon delivery???

Maybe because their customers aren't getting the level of service with those from Amazon that ups provides? Maybe Amazon is aware of their limits and the limits of our competitors when it comes to actually getting the package to the final destination?

Amazon wouldn't be pushing us to do this if it wasn't partially true.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
If Amazon did actually approach us then thats a good thing. That means they obviously want us on board. I think that would almost guarantee that Amazon would divert some volume to us. Otherwise they wouldn't be approaching us about Saturdays. I'm just anxious to see how UPS handles this. Tuesday-Saturday or are they actually considering sticking with the sixth punch rule? Seems like that would be too costly and not worth it. I think my center wouldn't have any trouble getting enough 6th punch drivers. But I have no idea how many routes would be needed.

I'm wondering if this will just be for Amazon. Or if UPS is planing on opening up Saturdays for all ground.

I'm sure it will be a separate add on service to regular ground just like two day and NDA

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm sure it will be a separate add on service to regular ground just like two day and NDA
Maybe but it seems like Amazon would quickly point out that they aren't having to pay our competitors an additional fee to deliver Saturdays. So, we might be delivering those for the standard ground rate. I know if I was the one sitting on Amazon's side of the table thats exactly what I'd be bringing to the table.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I'm not sure exactly what is coming, but something is coming down the pipe. We got word of it this week and they're changing the trailer forecasting system due to an "Upcoming service enhancement"

Could be anything. But if I was a betting man, it would be Saturday ground
I say bring on Saturday. It would lighten up the rest of the week. DOT probly wouldn't ok a FT 6 Th punch though

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Maybe but it seems like Amazon would quickly point out that they aren't having to pay our competitors an additional fee to deliver Saturdays. So, we might be delivering those for the standard ground rate. I know if I was the one sitting on Amazon's side of the table thats exactly what I'd be bringing to the table.

If Amazon had leverage then maybe that would work. They don't and THEY know it. That's why ups wants to phase them out in 5 years or raise their rates.

Amazon knows the USPS doesn't have the long term infrastructure to help grow their business and Fred S at FedEx has said repeatedly, he will be charging Amazon more and giving them less priority as he feels they're a threat to the logistics business.

Amazon is actually hurting in excuting it's long term goal of quick precise delivery. They're finding out it isn't as easy as they thought and that we actually know what we are doing.

Ups has all the leverage in this if Amazon wants Saturday ground.

But I have a feeling this was a service ups has wanted to expand in its portfolio for awhile.

But like everything at ups, they won't do it unless they make money on it.

ManInBrown

No way I'm working a 6th punch. My route is sometimes cut on Mondays. Would I automatically be converted to a T-S driver? I usually just cover drive on Mondays when my route is cut. I would be pissed. I have no interest in working T-S. Weekend is my time. If I am forced T-S, I'm letting them know don't ever call me on Monday morning asking me to work

Orion inc.

I like turtles
No way I'm working a 6th punch. My route is sometimes cut on Mondays. Would I automatically be converted to a T-S driver? I usually just cover drive on Mondays when my route is cut. I would be :censored2:. I have no interest in working T-S. Weekend is my time. If I am forced T-S, I'm letting them know don't ever call me on Monday morning asking me to work

Tuesday-Saturday would have to be bid. Like they would have to have a number of openings designated t-s and fill those as a separate classification I'm guessing.

ManInBrown

Tuesday-Saturday would have to be bid. Like they would have to have a number of openings designated t-s and fill those as a separate classification I'm guessing.
We don't bid yearly here. The route is mine till I want to give it up or retire. So would I get to stay on my route and continue to cover drive on Mondays?

Overpaid Union Thug

If Amazon had leverage then maybe that would work. They don't and THEY know it. That's why ups wants to phase them out in 5 years or raise their rates.

Amazon knows the USPS doesn't have the long term infrastructure to help grow their business and Fred S at FedEx has said repeatedly, he will be charging Amazon more and giving them less priority as he feels they're a threat to the logistics business.

Amazon is actually hurting in excuting it's long term goal of quick precise delivery. They're finding out it isn't as easy as they thought and that we actually know what we are doing.

Ups has all the leverage in this if Amazon wants Saturday ground.

But I have a feeling this was a service ups has wanted to expand in its portfolio for awhile.

But like everything at ups, they won't do it unless they make money on it.

I like to think that Amazon approaching us about this means that they, as you suggested, know they've gotten in way over their heads and that they need us more than we need them. But if we turn them away, which I honestly wouldn't blame UPS for doing, and we do phase them out then that'll result in the loss of plenty of jobs across the board. Corporate will actually make these decisions based on one thing....stock holders. The question they'll ask each other in that fancy board room will be....."How will investors perceive UPS if we purposely let go of a shipper and have to cut thousands of jobs?"