amazon and saturdays?

Ghost in the Darkness

Many centers don't even run air to all zip codes. UPS knows its not worthwhile to run Saturday as a ground day everywhere. Maybe it happens in certain zip codes in the more urban areas but you aren't gonna see drivers out all over the place to run more miles on a Saturday than would be run on a Monday.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
There's been a huge push to get more FT's hired in our center, despite the fact that the need is not there. Now it's starting to make sense.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Many centers don't even run air to all zip codes. UPS knows its not worthwhile to run Saturday as a ground day everywhere. Maybe it happens in certain zip codes in the more urban areas but you aren't gonna see drivers out all over the place to run more miles on a Saturday than would be run on a Monday.

Our center runs a very limited Saturday operation, delivering to fewer than 10 zip codes.

Ghost in the Darkness

Thats my point, Saturday air isn't that big in some centers so why would the company start running a full on ground workday on Saturdays everywhere? They won't. Like i said its possible in some places but definitely not everywhere for the forseable future.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats my point, Saturday air isn't that big in some centers so why would the company start running a full on ground workday on Saturdays everywhere? They won't. Like i said its possible in some places but definitely not everywhere for the forseable future.

As with any other new service offering, it will start on a limited basis and expand as needed.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
As with any other new service offering, it will start on a limited basis and expand as needed.

Think Saturday NDA and then when they offered 2 day Saturday delivery.

This principle approach will be applied here too.

It would be too expensive to run a full operation on Saturday in some areas.

flying dutchman

ups should go to amazon and tell them if were going to do this we want it all no more usps no more fedex no more of your own delivery drivers or your air plains. we will do whatever but we want all of your business they know we can do it and ups corporate knows they can do it

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Exactly. That's why it would be like Saturday air.

And Amazon will have to actually pay.

Anyone wondering why Amazon wants us todo Saturdays when they could easily send those orders USPS , FedEx ground or use their own Amazon delivery???

Maybe because their customers aren't getting the level of service with those from Amazon that ups provides? Maybe Amazon is aware of their limits and the limits of our competitors when it comes to actually getting the package to the final destination?

Amazon wouldn't be pushing us to do this if it wasn't partially true.
If so we hold the power. Time to push back.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
my center is 90% industrial routes. my route has usually less than 30 resi stops. 75-90 industrial business stops. which are all closed sat-sun.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Central region language :

In order for the Employer, the Union and employees to further ben-
efit from expanding service offerings to our customers, it may
become necessary to create schedules that differ from those that
exist today. Future full-time schedules may be expanded to include
Sunday through Thursday. Should that happen, current full-time
employees will be afforded the opportunity to select their preferred
schedule in seniority order.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.