Amazon now using Express

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Even if I have to pay sales tax, I'll still continue to use Amazon....just cuz I detest going to the stores with a passion - especially at this time of year. Internet shopping has been a Godsend for Agoraphobes like me.

purplesky

That $6 charge is pretty low to make any real money on. It should cost more than that just to have someone pick the order let alone the delivery time in wages and fuel costs.

Thats why the whole grocery delivery idea has never taken off. There isn't much demand for it and at $6.00 how the hell could the grocery store even cover the costs?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats why the whole grocery delivery idea has never taken off. There isn't much demand for it and at $6.00 how the hell could the grocery store even cover the costs?

How can grocery stores make any money on 2 liter Pepsi's for $.99? These are called "loss leaders" and they get people in to the store or, in the case of delivery, gets them hooked on the service, which then allows them to raise the rate after the service is established.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How can grocery stores make any money on 2 liter Pepsi's for $.99? These are called "loss leaders" and they get people in to the store or, in the case of delivery, gets them hooked on the service, which then allows them to raise the rate after the service is established.

Im not saying they make big money on 2 liters but soda costs nothing to make. All your money is in the packaging. That $2.50 drink u get at applebees likely under 50 cents in their costs no matter how much u drink. Then again bars get beer for just over 50 cents a piece so the $4 I pay is a ripoff there too.

TUT

Yeah the grocery idea for me, while it would be convenient as that is the only steady shopping I do. I'm just not sure I want them picking through the produce for me, something I like to look at and can't feel I'm alone on this one.

TUT

Cause teh cost to Pepsi and Coke is under a nickle, stores pays very little wholesale. My question is why do 1 liter's cost more than 2 liter's and why does water cost way more than a soda which is 99% water plus additives? lol cry

There is no loss at all selling a 2 liter for 99 cents.

Last edited:

HomeDelivery

a main retailer, Shoprite, is using sub-contractors ala FedEx Ground/HD types to do their dirty-work...

ford transit delivery.jpg

they get paid close to min wage & gets to keep tips... while sub-contractor takes the operating costs out of the equation for the store... :peaceful:

as for PeaPod, another grocery-delivery business, i have no idea how they're surviving when i only see their vehicles once-in-a-while like DHL Vans...

Peapod Online Grocery Shopping and Delivery Service

another regional grocery store, ACME, pulled the plug after low demand of this service:

Acme nixes home delivery of groceries - Philadelphia Business Journal

first of all, ACME's prices sucked in comparison to nearby grocery stores... i haven't set foot in one for almost a year now & they're under a mile from my home... i rather goto Shoprite or Bottom Dollar
ford transit delivery.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
I do not think that charging tax is going to make a huge difference in Amazon's volume. They already have a large customer based hooked on their services, a slight increase in cost is not going to change that.

Brownslave688

Tax won't make a difference because I'm sure it will still be less than what I get taxed locally. Ever shopping center within 20 miles of me has extra taxes tacked on top not to mention all the TIF zones which the business doesn't pay any taxes for 30,40, even 50 years sometimes.

purplesky

Thats a great price for Pepsi or Coke. Soda has become more expensive these days because fewer Americans are drinking it. $6.00 sounds like a great deal for grocery delivery and I would pay that. But in my area the grocery stores charge about $13.00 plus a fuel surcharge. So thats around $200.00 per year for delivery and thats probably a low estimate since I shop 2 to 3 times a month.

I guess I would rather make a big trip to Costco with that $200.00.

It just seems like in this economy people are really watching their money and being more frugal. I guess I am too cheap to pay for it.

Its just strange that in all my years of UPS package delivery I havent see one grocery delivery to a house or even noticed a grocery delivery truck .

Doc Sorting Dude

I wonder how that works. I have Safeway and Albertson's home delivery in my area. If no one's home do they leave it? I've never seen any groceries left at the front or back door. What happens if they need a re-attempt? extra surcharge?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wonder how that works. I have Safeway and Albertson's home delivery in my area. If no one's home do they leave it? I've never seen any groceries left at the front or back door. What happens if they need a re-attempt? extra surcharge?

When you place your online order you are given a delivery window. The store will pull your order, leaving the dairy and other temperature sensitive items for last. No, they will not leave the groceries if you are not home. I don't know what happens if you are not home---I assume they talk smack about you as they are putting your stuff back on the shelves.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have a local chain that delivers. You order online, get a total and a delivery time is specified. I know quite a few older folks, farmers and even younger people that live in the country. The grocery story is about 8 blocks from my house, otherwise I would consider it.

2 of my wife's nieces have their groceries delivered. They both do up their list in the morning and specify the delivery time for when they get home from work. They both LOVE it.

purplesky

I do not think that charging tax is going to make a huge difference in Amazon's volume. They already have a large customer based hooked on their services, a slight increase in cost is not going to change that.

Buying something like a guitar or a tv or a computer on Amazon is currently a nice sales tax savings if you live in a no online sales tax state. So if everybody collects the online sales tax here pretty soon customers might just instead go to guitar center or best buy to get those expensive items since they will now price match with Amazon.

Amazon is a killer deal tax wise if you buy expensive stuff. But it looks the no sales tax online party will be over soon and people will stop just going to stores like best buy and guitar center to just browse products and then go home and order online from another state to avoid taxes.

So its possible Amazon might see a volume drop in more expensive price categories.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is one of the reasons Borders is out of business----people, myself included, would go there, browse and then go to Amazon to buy.

Blockbuster announced on Friday that they will be closing their remaining 300+ stores.

Brownslave688

This is one of the reasons Borders is out of business----people, myself included, would go there, browse and then go to Amazon to buy.

Blockbuster announced on Friday that they will be closing their remaining 300+ stores.

In a town of over 100,000 people my 1 choice to rent a movie is redbox.

SmithBarney

In a town of over 100,000 people my 1 choice to rent a movie is redbox.

You probably have a few redboxes... in our little town of 6800, we have one major intersection(with a LIGHT!) we have a redbox on all 4 corners of that intersection.. Shopping center, gasstation(2) and pharmacy....