Amazon reportedly buying ring for billion dollars.

It will be fine

Quick question-----are those Ring doorbells motion activated or do they start recording after you push the button?

I have several customers who have them and I have yet to push the button(s). I do not want to deal with having to interact with them anymore than I need to.
Depends on the model I think, I assume most are motion activated and act accordingly, scream at no one and flail my arms wildly, creepily peer inside the windows of the house, etc.

MAKAVELI

Quick question-----are those Ring doorbells motion activated or do they start recording after you push the button?

I have several customers who have them and I have yet to push the button(s). I do not want to deal with having to interact with them anymore than I need to.
Motion activated. I only push the button if it's a signature required.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Both.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Got a friend who lives in a rural setting. He has the doorbell, and it reaches out there pretty far as far as activation goes. He showed me a picture of about an 8 point buck walking in his front yard.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Wouldn’t the motion activation preclude the need for the button to also record?

If a bad guy is going swipe something from my porch, he won't ring the bell. And, I'll have video.

If someone rings the bell when I'm home (or even not home), I can see who it is before I answer the door or use the intercom function.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If a bad guy is going swipe something from my porch, he won't ring the bell. And, I'll have video.

If someone rings the bell when I'm home (or even not home), I can see who it is before I answer the door or use the intercom function.

So the motion activated is recorded and the bell is a live feed?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Got a friend who lives in a rural setting. He has the doorbell, and it reaches out there pretty far as far as activation goes. He showed me a picture of about an 8 point buck walking in his front yard.

Yeah, I had to adjust the range way down so cars going by won't set it off all the time.

Do you have to buy their cloud services, or can you have it stored on your own computer?

Three dollars a month. Way less than most, and I can download videos to my computer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Only reason I got into it is because I needed an alarm system and everybody wanted 20-30 bucks a month. $130 got me a basic system from samsung I can monitor myself without a monthly charge, and you can add all the home automation and cameras to it for cheap. It's not exactly user friendly but it's a fun little hobby sometimes.
Sounds interesting.
Which system?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had a female deer walk right past my sliding glass door night before last.
Looking for hostas I'm sure.

Cleveland-deer-eating-landscape1-300x225.jpg

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
No thanks---I will stick to peeking out through the blinds until I move to a safer neighborhood.

Can't peek when you aren't home. The doorbell will let you.

We live in a safe neighborhood, but were motivated to get it a few weeks ago after a delivery of some serious opioids for my MIL turned up missing.