Amazon reportedly buying ring for billion dollars.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think I'd rather Amazon knowing who comes to my door than Google knowing how warm I keep my house.
Since google bought them nest has gotten all kinds of new home automation and security products. I'd expect amazon to follow that lead.

Doesn't matter to me all the products tie into my samsung smarthings system anyways so bring on the price dropping wars.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Since google bought them nest has gotten all kinds of new home automation and security products. I'd expect amazon to follow that lead.

Doesn't matter to me all the products tie into my samsung smarthings system anyways so bring on the price dropping wars.

Just bought the Ring doorbell due to a missing package deally.

Not interested in any other home automation.

Edit: I can arm/disarm my alarm system remotely. Not really sure and don't really care who knows that information.

newgirl

Open the garage bay door alexa. I'm afraid I can't do that newgirl.
Few years, self driving vans pull up to houses, spider bot scurries out with pkg, tells nest to open door, drops it inside and scurries back to van. Next stop 2nd floor, don't worry there's a drone in the van for that. Apartment complex, no problem. There's a hub for that.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I saw a story about this. The guy who started the Ring doorbell was on shark tank in 2013. (it was called doorbot back then) All turned him down except 1 guy who offered him a small amount. The Ring inventor said no thanks. oops.

Oldfart

Need some serious price reductions. The Ring spotlight camera is close to $250. Add $150 to that and you can buy an Arlo Camera system with 4 cameras.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Just bought the Ring doorbell due to a missing package deally.

Not interested in any other home automation.

Edit: I can arm/disarm my alarm system remotely. Not really sure and don't really care who knows that information.
Only reason I got into it is because I needed an alarm system and everybody wanted 20-30 bucks a month. $130 got me a basic system from samsung I can monitor myself without a monthly charge, and you can add all the home automation and cameras to it for cheap. It's not exactly user friendly but it's a fun little hobby sometimes.

Oldfart

How much per month to save video?

And, I only have/need the doorbell.
You can have up to 5 cameras and there is free 7 day storage. No dedicated hard drive. It uses the CLOUD and you have all types of options to view it on your cell phone or laptop.

100% wireless. Not a single wire in this system.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Quick question-----are those Ring doorbells motion activated or do they start recording after you push the button?

I have several customers who have them and I have yet to push the button(s). I do not want to deal with having to interact with them anymore than I need to.