Amazon says "ADIOS" to Express?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Amazon is moving away from USPS and UPS for its in-house delivery network — but the 'sloppier' system may be delaying your packages

I think eventually Amazon will get better, but this story reminded me of DHL’s entrance into the domestic market. Sloppy, late deliveries etc. Anyone think Amazon will tuck tail like DHL did and give up? People need to call to get their free prime service when deliveries are late.

They'll definitely get better, but like DHL, will realize that there are limitations to improvement. DHL outsourced much of their onroad operations to people who paid peanuts and offered cheap rates (just like Airborne, who lost tons of money; just like Purolator, who lost tons of money; and just like Amazon, who is just entering the game) and expected to pick up volume based on price and retain it via providing good service.

They want to provide service that is good, fast, and cheap when only two are possible.

MAKAVELI

Allegedly 2% of their volume ..... I am sure they picked that some place else ...:censored2: Amazon
I think it was more than 2%. FedEx mentioned revenue not volume. And probably for good reason. Investors would be selling off more if they knew the actual volume.

Nolimitz

They can stock Dist centers by ground and have stuff on hand for local contractors to deliver. I suspect the air part will be a minor amount of vol.

vantexan

Amazon is moving away from USPS and UPS for its in-house delivery network — but the 'sloppier' system may be delaying your packages

I think eventually Amazon will get better, but this story reminded me of DHL’s entrance into the domestic market. Sloppy, late deliveries etc. Anyone think Amazon will tuck tail like DHL did and give up? People need to call to get their free prime service when deliveries are late.
I've gotten same day delivery from Amazon without asking for it twice in the last two months. Think it depends how close you are to a distribution center.

Mutineer

this story reminded me of DHL’s entrance into the domestic market.

Yup. After DHL took over Airborne they talked a big game. And (in my area at least) DHL fired their own drivers and management but retained the Airborne Express drivers and management.

After that transition, DHL seemingly wasted no time in angering all of their experienced, former Airborne drivers. Many of whom quit and got hired at XE and XG.

It didn't take long for DHL to be perpetually staffed with new, overwhelmed drivers who had absolutely no route knowledge and nobody left experienced enough to train them.

Mutineer

How overwhelmed can you be with no freight???

Personally, I was not overwhelmed with any of DHL's boondoggle. I had left Airborne shortly before the transition. And DHL didn't lose all of Airborne's accounts in one swoop. It took about three years of service failures.

Airborne also had ground freight. Those Econolines were often stuffed with Dell computer boxes. And blue Nordstrom's packages. AKA, The Perpetually Angry Shipper.

And now, sixteen years later, I see DHL vans LESS than I ever did before that mess.

And every once in a while, I still see an old, silver Airborne van. With faded, barely noticeable livery. And piloted by a drunk, Mexican landscaper.

Exactly the same things that are currently piloting most of XG's vans today.

Last edited: