Amazon

Serf

So I'm applying with a couple of outfits contracted to start delivering Amazon on September 7th. At one of them the two guys working in the office both worked at UPS over 20 years. Heard one of them telling an applicant that UPS was going to lose 800,000 pkgs a day from Amazon and that of course UPS was very concerned. Big changes coming.

If anyone gets wind in your area of similar contractors, one of them here is starting at $16.50hr and after 90 days $17.50hr. I asked if pickups were involved and he said maybe someday, but for now only deliveries and almost all residential. I told him that sounded like a great job. 4 days on, 4 days off. FedEx may be losing Ground drivers to this.
Not bad at all. Just lost 2 Handlers to Amazon Warehouse. 13.35$ per hr. 4 on 3 off, then 5 on 2 off. 12 hr shifts. Up to 55hr per week. Expect to keep hemorrhaging.

bacha29

A followup. This morning CNBC had an guy on from Broughton Capital regarding Amazon delivery. He simply reaffirmed what we argued over a month ago.. Bezos will take the gravy the easy in town stuff for himself and leave the boonie boxes for the big 3 to fight over. The question as this gentleman pointed out is who among the big 3 will be willing to take Bezos high mileage low volume rural boxes when it will be at best very low margin business? He believed that X will be the least likely among the 3 to take the business .

vantexan

A followup. This morning CNBC had an guy on from Broughton Capital regarding Amazon delivery. He simply reaffirmed what we argued over a month ago.. Bezos will take the gravy the easy in town stuff for himself and leave the boonie boxes for the big 3 to fight over. The question as this gentleman pointed out is who among the big 3 will be willing to take Bezos high mileage low volume rural boxes when it will be at best very low margin business? He believed that X will be the least likely among the 3 to take the business .
The thing is that Express and Ground are already delivering other freight in those areas. Not that much effort is necessary to deliver Amazon along with it.

Purplepackage

We are already running all over rural counties to deliver medicine, might as well take the Amazon to them as well

bacha29

We are already running all over rural counties to deliver medicine, might as well take the Amazon to them as well
'Running all over", and not much volume to beat, that's the entire problem . He'll keep the high volume low imput metro business and expect somebody from the Big 3 to take the low volume high imput rural portion of the business and do it for next to nothing. So now he's starting a pickup service for vendors selling on his platform but in all likelihood it will be the same metropolitan focus . The response from X makes it clear that it's interested in hauling Bezos junk but won't do it on his terms, a certain "don't call us child we'll call you" sentiment to it. The UPS response on the other hand carried with it a higher level of concern talking about it's recent expansion commitment much of it geared toward Amazon and a certain "hey, thanks a lot pal " response.

vantexan

'Running all over", and not much volume to beat, that's the entire problem . He'll keep the high volume low imput metro business and expect somebody from the Big 3 to take the low volume high imput rural portion of the business and do it for next to nothing. So now he's starting a pickup service for vendors selling on his platform but in all likelihood it will be the same metropolitan focus . The response from X makes it clear that it's interested in hauling Bezos junk but won't do it on his terms, a certain "don't call us child we'll call you" sentiment to it. The UPS response on the other hand carried with it a higher level of concern talking about it's recent expansion commitment much of it geared toward Amazon and a certain "hey, thanks a lot pal " response.
Let's be honest, you don't like Amazon. Bezos has created a more efficient platform to do business. It was inevitable after Wal-Mart created the concept that it would come to this. Companies like FedEx have been forcing their workforces to accept less, now Amazon is doing that to them. Lean and mean keeps companies in business, good for the consumer, sucks for the employees. And before you get after me for sticking up for these companies, just telling you it's the reality. You're longing for the days of strong unions but not likely to ever happen again in today's world.

bacha29

Let's be honest, you don't like Amazon. Bezos has created a more efficient platform to do business. It was inevitable after Wal-Mart created the concept that it would come to this. Companies like FedEx have been forcing their workforces to accept less, now Amazon is doing that to them. Lean and mean keeps companies in business, good for the consumer, sucks for the employees. And before you get after me for sticking up for these companies, just telling you it's the reality. You're longing for the days of strong unions but not likely to ever happen again in today's world.
Whoa sahib, just a couple of weeks ago you were trying to get on with one of those rent a peasant outfits hauling Amazon. Now you're going to some third world opium clearing house called a country simply because you can live there for $2 a month less. Problem is you don't know what you want. Now if you had a UPS style union at X you wouldn't be jawing endlessly about the complex and widely varied wage scale instead you would have a standardized wage scale along with a healthcare plan that was just that a healthcare plan along with a pension that you could count and with benefits that would meet the average retirees basic needs. Perhaps if you had what they have and you didn't walk off in a huff every time a manager said something that hurt your feelings perhaps you would not find yourself today embarking on a global quest for the next blue light special.

vantexan

Whoa sahib, just a couple of weeks ago you were trying to get on with one of those rent a peasant outfits hauling Amazon. Now you're going to some third world opium clearing house called a country simply because you can live there for $2 a month less. Problem is you don't know what you want. Now if you had a UPS style union at X you wouldn't be jawing endlessly about the complex and widely varied wage scale instead you would have a standardized wage scale along with a healthcare plan that was just that a healthcare plan along with a pension that you could count and with benefits that would meet the average retirees basic needs. Perhaps if you had what they have and you didn't walk off in a huff every time a manager said something that hurt your feelings perhaps you would not find yourself today embarking on a global quest for the next blue light special.
And where is this union paradise? And what has my going overseas have to do with today's workplace reality? Oh, I get it. Unions pushed so hard many companies pulled up stakes and went where it's cheaper. And prices are so high here I'm doing the same. Gotcha!

bacha29

And where is this union paradise? And what has my going overseas have to do with today's workplace reality? Oh, I get it. Unions pushed so hard many companies pulled up stakes and went where it's cheaper. And prices are so high here I'm doing the same. Gotcha!
Then quit your gripeing about your lack of a living pension and a lack of a healthcare plan and the unfortunate consequences born out of the choices you made as a consenting adult.

Oldfart

Then quit your gripeing about your lack of a living pension and a lack of a healthcare plan and the unfortunate consequences born out of the choices you made as a consenting adult.

WOW

vantexan

I've certainly griped, but am very happy I'm on my way to a new life. I knew the company was going to pay better, but at this point not worth it. Everything you say is your life will be better with better pay and benefits. Might be, but it's a constant struggle trying to reach that carrot on a stick. Couldn't imagine going back to that. The ultimate goal is that your life is your own. Getting to that point is a means to an end. If one wants to give control to others into their late 60's or later that's fine if it's worth it to them. The pension was always what it was about to me. Getting to better pay was about no bills and savings. If one feels that their life must have a nice home, expensive vehicles, luxury vacations, etc IMO they're just chasing their tails. But that's me. I despise how we were treated. But not too happy with those who feel the company owes them a great living. Neither attitudes are sustainable.

Nolimitz

tumblr_ntcc4kLzUI1u38djvo1_250.gif

bbsam

Staff member
The thing is that Express and Ground are already delivering other freight in those areas. Not that much effort is necessary to deliver Amazon along with it.
That's no way to do business. Your idea would be that even if x profits only $.03 per package off each Amazon package, we may as well take it and just let Amazon make the $3 per package in the metro areas. No. That's beggar's mentality. In two years Amazon will expect X to take just $.02 per package and so on.