And So It Begins...

vantexan

Sounds like you have another one of those slightly lower premium zero coverage nearly worthless health insurance plans that wouldn't even be allowed to be offered for sale in some states.
It was JC Penney at the time. They covered everything along with the money they had deposited in their HRA.

vantexan

Those 'fat' people that some despise will cost a lot less to care for if given a $2 a month prescription for metformin instead of waiting until they end up in the ER with full blown diabetes. Paying now saves money later.
Except it doesn't work that way. When initially diagnosed the prescription might just be a small dose of metformin. Without a serious and stuck to change in diet with exercise thrown in that small dose will become larger, and eventually more meds will be added, then insulin, then increasing doses of insulin, and meds, until eventually you die from complications, usually after quite a bit of misery including amputations and blindness. The meds only slow down the inevitable, not cure it. Want to reverse it? Combine a healthy low carb diet that eliminates sugar, bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. Do some walking every day. And fast. Going 18 hours or longer between meals with the above eliminated has already reversed diabetes for tens of thousands. And they stay reversed if they don't fall back into old eating patterns. And believe me it's a struggle.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
While proudly boasting of your independence and willingness to use your sword I simply brought up the possibility of a far less painful way to off yourself. In fact there are several states that permit it within the rule of law. Then again that's the trouble with you pseudo conservatives you talk the conservative ideology and rather loudly at that because is trendy and fashionable but actually living in accordance with those ideals that's another matter indeed unless you're independently wealthy as a lot of pseudo conservatives have come to discover.
And you quasi-liberals are depending on the conservative capitalists to fund your healthcare and retirement.

bacha29

And you quasi-liberals are depending on the conservative capitalists to fund your healthcare and retirement.
LMAO. Gee, I didn't know that only conservatives pay into Social Security and Medicare. Perhaps that might explain why they fought tooth and nail using every trick they could come up with in an attempt to keep them from becoming law.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Employment in the health care industry went up by nearly one million after the ACA was enacted- so besides having healthier people, more good paying jobs were created- helping reduce unemployment.

Employment in that industry has been rising for YEARS, LOL!! Obesity rates are still climbing, no reduction in new diagnoses of diabetes...

Human nature doesn't change simply because the talking point on a pamphlet paints a rosy picture.

59 Dano

What a person can do in behalf of their health is important and might serve to slow down but not stop the ageing process. Age and heredity are also key factors . I lost a good friend 3 months ago due to a hereditary form of heart disease that had already killed two of his siblings. So Dano if there are disease patterns that are common in your parents families chance are they'll be paying you a visit sometime in the not too distant future.

Thank you, bacha, for straightening that out. I had no idea that hereditary traits could be passed from parents to children. I always thought that hereditary had something to do with transmission fluid.

59 Dano

The government pays for things that a majority wants if the majority has enough votes, and the president agrees and it doesn't violate the constitution.

That constitutional requirement is ignored so much that I ridicule you for even mentioning it.

vantexan

LMAO. Gee, I didn't know that only conservatives pay into Social Security and Medicare. Perhaps that might explain why they fought tooth and nail using every trick they could come up with in an attempt to keep them from becoming law.
I think he's talking about economic activity keeping those programs afloat, as well as the stock market building up 401k's.

dmac1

Except it doesn't work that way. When initially diagnosed the prescription might just be a small dose of metformin. Without a serious and stuck to change in diet with exercise thrown in that small dose will become larger, and eventually more meds will be added, then insulin, then increasing doses of insulin, and meds, until eventually you die from complications, usually after quite a bit of misery including amputations and blindness. The meds only slow down the inevitable, not cure it. Want to reverse it? Combine a healthy low carb diet that eliminates sugar, bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. Do some walking every day. And fast. Going 18 hours or longer between meals with the above eliminated has already reversed diabetes for tens of thousands. And they stay reversed if they don't fall back into old eating patterns. And believe me it's a struggle.

I've been on the same low dose of metformin for about 15 years BECAUSE it was caught early. I was on a lofat diet, and less meat was considered healthy. White rice, used to be considered healthy, but for some people is a big no-no. Diabetes susceptibility is largely genetic, and even people who eat healthy, like me, can develop it. I've known skinny people with type 2 diabetes who have had amputations. Plus, studies have proven that people who use metformin, even without diabetes live longer. Better to catch it early with simple, cheap tests, than to wait until someone ends up in the ER. The ACA allowed poor people to get those tests annually that they otherwise couldn't get if choosing between paying their bills or getting an annual checkup. People working minimum wage, or even higher if they have a family, need to make choices, and will put their kids before their own health. But you're too worried about the extra $1 in taxes out of your pocket to care about others, because you are 'independent'

But you are ignoring the point, or maybe just want to deflect. If it is caught early, the outcome is better. You seem to think that because some people will die anyway, we don't need to try to help others. Typical Trumpian who apparently doesn't think a healthier population benefits everyone. Penny wise, pound foolish.

vantexan

I've been on the same low dose of metformin for about 15 years BECAUSE it was caught early. I was on a lofat diet, and less meat was considered healthy. White rice, used to be considered healthy, but for some people is a big no-no. Diabetes susceptibility is largely genetic, and even people who eat healthy, like me, can develop it. I've known skinny people with type 2 diabetes who have had amputations. Plus, studies have proven that people who use metformin, even without diabetes live longer. Better to catch it early with simple, cheap tests, than to wait until someone ends up in the ER. The ACA allowed poor people to get those tests annually that they otherwise couldn't get if choosing between paying their bills or getting an annual checkup. People working minimum wage, or even higher if they have a family, need to make choices, and will put their kids before their own health. But you're too worried about the extra $1 in taxes out of your pocket to care about others, because you are 'independent'

But you are ignoring the point, or maybe just want to deflect. If it is caught early, the outcome is better. You seem to think that because some people will die anyway, we don't need to try to help others. Typical Trumpian who apparently doesn't think a healthier population benefits everyone. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Don't know how old you are, but I've been diabetic since 36, 21 years. Only in the last 3 years has it really started affecting me adversely. Of course different people react to things differently, but even if caught early if all a diabetic is doing is taking a minimal dose of metformin, and not being proactive with their diet and exercise, sooner or later it will get much more serious. As far as your crack about not caring about others, you don't know me or what I've done. I'm offering advice on diet because I do care, and modern medicine's diabetes treatment doesn't cure anything. It just manages it until you succumb to it, or to something else. Ask Penny Marshall. She just died from complications of diabetes, and she certainly had the wealth to be treated by the best physicians. And the question remains, do you just want to manage it, or do you want to reverse it?

bacha29

Thank you, bacha, for straightening that out. I had no idea that hereditary traits could be passed from parents to children. I always thought that hereditary had something to do with transmission fluid.
If you were to suffer like that man did ( 20+ years of absolute agony) rest assured not a single contributor to this site is going to feel a moment's worth of compassion for you. Despite your obvious albeit twisted sense of genetic, physical and intellectual superiority you too will die and at an age that will fall somewhere in line with the current life expectancy and along the way you too will consume an awful lot of healthcare.It will be very very expensive and you will be all too happy to accept whatever public funded assistance that may be available in order to stay on the right side of the grass.
You talk brave. Anybody can do that . I just hope that some of us are still around to see if you live brave when the ravages of ageing come calling.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If you were to suffer like that man did ( 20+ years of absolute agony) rest assured not a single contributor to this site is going to feel a moment's worth of compassion for you. Despite your obvious albeit twisted sense of genetic, physical and intellectual superiority you too will die and at an age that will fall somewhere in line with the current life expectancy and along the way you too will consume an awful lot of healthcare.It will be very very expensive and you will be all too happy to accept whatever public funded assistance that may be available in order to stay on the right side of the grass.
You talk brave. Anybody can do that . I just hope that some of us are still around to see if you live brave when the ravages of ageing come calling.
Maybe he plans to die a neglected death in a non-Medicaid funded nursing home.

bbsam

Staff member
Employment in that industry has been rising for YEARS, LOL!! Obesity rates are still climbing, no reduction in new diagnoses of diabetes...

Human nature doesn't change simply because the talking point on a pamphlet paints a rosy picture.
Which suggests even more so that the healthcare in the country needs to change drastically.

bbsam

Staff member
Well it does have to do with transmission OF A fluid.