And So It Begins...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Express will be hiring hundreds of specially classified (read: PT, no bennies) couriers to work a few shifts a week delivering resi pkgs out in the sticks.

deadman

Rumor mill has been as follows for a wile.

Step 1. Take ground to seven days.
Step 2. Get rid of smartpost.
Step 3. Transfer 3 day express saver to ground for last mile.
Step 4. Cut contractor pay per stop down and remove minimum stop price then get rid of res surcharge.
Step 5. Cut express to be a part time next day workforce only.

Steps 1 and 2 already confirmed and judging by the 12 chevy cargo vans with express decals on them sitting at the local dealership id say step 3 is very close.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Express will be hiring hundreds of specially classified (read: PT, no bennies) couriers to work a few shifts a week delivering resi pkgs out in the sticks.

Did Fred tell you that over breakfast this morning?

Well good luck with that if it's even true. They'll just get dumped on, over-used and frustrated especially when when they see their cronies getting vacation time, insurance, holiday pay etc. Oh yeah, then they'll quit on a moments notice.

Csdsm18

This is a true statement, I've seen alot of jobs like that on fedex.com career section. That's not looking to good for me. I should be looking elsewhere for a different job doesn't look like express is going to be a good place to work anymore. They just keep taking away.

bacha29

Dano's right about this. I was called in for an interview for one of the positions he mentions. In my case it was more like...."ok bring in the old guy, We'll do the dance, try to keep a straight face and hope that he's too stupid to realize that all we're doing is trying to be labor law compliant when it comes to hiring older workers"....... It didn't matter to me one way or the other because after 44 consecutive years in the work force , I think that ought to be good enough.

59 Dano

Did Fred tell you that over breakfast this morning?

Well good luck with that if it's even true. They'll just get dumped on, over-used and frustrated especially when when they see their cronies getting vacation time, insurance, holiday pay etc. Oh yeah, then they'll quit on a moments notice.

OK.

59 Dano

Dano's right about this. I was called in for an interview for one of the positions he mentions. In my case it was more like...."ok bring in the old guy, We'll do the dance, try to keep a straight face and hope that he's too stupid to realize that all we're doing is trying to be labor law compliant when it comes to hiring older workers"....... It didn't matter to me one way or the other because after 44 consecutive years in the work force , I think that ought to be good enough.

Oh, I'm sure Express called you in to fill a position for part of a program that hasn't yet launched...

59 Dano

so what about the couriers that are already out there... or is this just supplemental help?

Supplemental, more or less. Resi deliveries have exploded over the years and they are more expensive to do, especially in rural areas. Couriers at or near top of range tend to fill a lot of those easier, less dense rural routes. Doesn't make much sense to pay a guy $37.50/hour in OT to count fence posts for a couple of hours out in the middle of BFE if you can get some guy off the street to do it for $17/hour and no benefits.

59 Dano

Rumor mill has been as follows for a wile.

Step 1. Take ground to seven days.
Step 2. Get rid of smartpost.
Step 3. Transfer 3 day express saver to ground for last mile.
Step 4. Cut contractor pay per stop down and remove minimum stop price then get rid of res surcharge.
Step 5. Cut express to be a part time next day workforce only.

Steps 1 and 2 already confirmed and judging by the 12 chevy cargo vans with express decals on them sitting at the local dealership id say step 3 is very close.

Steps 3 and 5 have been rumored a million times over the last 7 years. It would be a disaster.

SmithBarney

Oh, I'm sure Express called you in to fill a position for part of a program that hasn't yet launched...
Dano, while you have lots of information, there are areas that are hiring for these positions. We have several "older" folks that were hired for positions just like you described... Overall we've been on a hiring bonanza

bacha29

Dano what you described here is exactly the terms that were presented to me and the job description that was presented to me. But yes, It would appear that they are looking for a low cost readily available secondary work force which if successful will likely mean a gradual phase out of full time employees.

Meat

This is a true statement, I've seen alot of jobs like that on fedex.com career section. That's not looking to good for me. I should be looking elsewhere for a different job doesn't look like express is going to be a good place to work anymore. They just keep taking away.

You’re just being dramatic. I bet you can’t name eight instances where the company took something away from you.