Another brother lost

quad decade guy

Do you mean UPS employees view production as more important than safety?

With all due respect:

Your penchant for missing the obvious is as always...so strange. No man, employees are "pressured" into productivity by the possibility of disciplinary action. We all know what this means.....faster, hurry, stops per on road hour, being on time arrivals/departures etc. Even though the "Union" doesn't recognize productivity standards.

Integrity

Binge Poster
With all due respect:

Your penchant for missing the obvious is as always...so strange. No man, employees are "pressured" into productivity by the possibility of disciplinary action. We all know what this means.....faster, hurry, stops per on road hour, being on time arrivals/departures etc. Even though the "Union" doesn't recognize productivity standards.
I don’t feel the pressure to work faster at all. It is always safety first, last and always.

Employees feel the pressure they choose to feel.

I believe this is so employees can “blame the company” for their own failure to follow the safety procedures they are being paid to follow.

Really doesn’t matter when you’re maimed or killed on the job though.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The way our ramp guys work, I can't even imagine how this could happen. When the last can goes in they replace the railing immediately and someone comes around to guide you out. They double-check everything.

Very sad situation!
I agree 10000%. Our airport was so strict I'm surprised they even let us drivers do the backing. We had to pass classes to get certification before we could get thru the gate. Sometimes there would be a panic because dispatch couldnt find a qualified driver on a Saturday morning to go after a long night. It was about the only time I didnt get pissed off to be asked to bring a trailer there. The airport crews were topnotch professionals.

This is everyone's worse nightmare. We had a feeder driver who killed a pedestrian one night . He was homeless and they thought it was suicide. the driver was never right after that. he was the nicest and one of the funniest guys beforehand. But afterwards started having a drinking problem and almost lost his job several times. When I worked the yard with him during peak I'd try to give him pep talks and staying with the job so he would retire and get a pension. He had a family to think about. he would go off in t he shifter and disapeer in the back for a couple hours .We usuallylet him alone.

god, I hope this driver gets some help. what a tragedy for both families. wish I could do something more.

quad decade guy

I agree 10000%. Our airport was so strict I'm surprised they even let us drivers do the backing. We had to pass classes to get certification before we could get thru the gate. Sometimes there would be a panic because dispatch couldnt find a qualified driver on a Saturday morning to go after a long night. It was about the only time I didnt get pissed off to be asked to bring a trailer there. The airport crews were topnotch professionals.

This is everyone's worse nightmare. We had a feeder driver who killed a pedestrian one night . He was homeless and they thought it was suicide. the driver was never right after that. he was the nicest and one of the funniest guys beforehand. But afterwards started having a drinking problem and almost lost his job several times. When I worked the yard with him during peak I'd try to give him pep talks and staying with the job so he would retire and get a pension. He had a family to think about. he would go off in t he shifter and disapeer in the back for a couple hours .We usuallylet him alone.

god, I hope this driver gets some help. what a tragedy for both families. wish I could do something more.

Not here. Feeder drivers do everything. You can walk anywhere(just about) with a badge. Topnotch pro's? There are some.

BrwnSh0rtsNShirt

Swimming in Packages! 📦
Agree but there are people walking around at ground level at all times. At least where I am. No reason for them to be standing anywhere they could be hit though.
Doesn’t your center have the yellow walk ways showing where it’s safe to walk. Even in the yellow areas, you must stay vigilant. So sad to to hear about this.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I've been to probably 4 or 5 air ramps and every single one has someone guiding the trailer back when we back to a mat. Unlike backing to a dock or door, you leave a gap so the mat can raise or lower if needed. We process a lot of air so some days our hub will drive 200+ miles to another hubs air ramp and put extra cans on their plane.

I only pull preloads from one ramp and they usually have shifters stage the trailers to the mat. If we do someone is there to guide us while backing. When we're loaded they have someone walk around to the driver and give you the seal control to verify the rear door seal. You are then guided out past the other tractors and they close the doors. I always walk back and make sure the doors are properly closed while the person is closing them. The tugs are routed around the plane so it's not any more dangerous than closing rental doors at a regular hub.

Every job has some type of hazard involved. The best you can do is be aware and work as safely as possible.

quad decade guy

I've been to probably 4 or 5 air ramps and every single one has someone guiding the trailer back when we back to a mat. Unlike backing to a dock or door, you leave a gap so the mat can raise or lower if needed. We process a lot of air so some days our hub will drive 200+ miles to another hubs air ramp and put extra cans on their plane.

I only pull preloads from one ramp and they usually have shifters stage the trailers to the mat. If we do someone is there to guide us while backing. When we're loaded they have someone walk around to the driver and give you the seal control to verify the rear door seal. You are then guided out past the other tractors and they close the doors. I always walk back and make sure the doors are properly closed while the person is closing them. The tugs are routed around the plane so it's not any more dangerous than closing rental doors at a regular hub.

Every job has some type of hazard involved. The best you can do is be aware and work as safely as possible.
Location?

fishtm2001

Does anybody know what happened to the driver who was killed last week in NE Ohio? All that was reported was that he was struck after exiting the vehicle. Did he walk around the rear as required?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Definitely need your eyes on a swivel.
Sadly, This happens too much on the rails as well. Every month lately another’s brother or sister is killed in yard accidents. The worst part is, with Remote Control Operators, often the train that crushes the RCO conductor is being controlled by him. One misstep, lose awareness for 3 seconds looking at your switching orders, or any combination and there goes your life. Guts spilled out and a gruesome last few moments on earth before the body can be freed from the knuckle couplers.

If you think for a second, at 6 AM after being on duty for 11 hours, that it isn’t extremely easy for you to end up sandwiching yourself inadvertently, think again. Or just as often, trying to steer clear of the red zone, and you don’t even look on the track behind you and your brother runs you over with the train passing. Fatigue kills. Use your five and 10 when you’re walking, I still do and I don’t even work at UPS anymore