Another brother lost

quad decade guy

This is a horrible accident.

Does management strictly enforce UPS Yard Safety Control Procedures on a daily basis at this location?

Ahh another yard accident with fatality. Be careful, you will be abused, belittled and generally made fun of for talking about safety on Brown Cafe.....but then you know this. Lot of hate here.

Now, to your question: obviously not. Bet you a buck-go to any UPS facility, there will widespread abuse of equipment and pure, deliberate, blatant disregard for yard safety.

I go to a medium size hub in California. There is a shifter that drives as fast as that shifter will go in tight, heavily trafficked areas. I mean full throttle. Yes, I will mention it to mgt. as I walk around there. Try the guy first? Nope. Probably just get cussed out and maybe grieved for harassment. But then, he knows exactly how he is driving. The bigger question is: Why? And mgt. knows it. And let's it happen. Why?

I don't go on our yard much anymore. I have been told mgt. is going around giving warning letters for tractor running during post/pre-trip/no vest/ spinning crank handle etc. This is ironically funny as I always tried to remind folks of these things as a member of the safety committee. But was always cussed out etc.(just shrug)(me). It will come around to you in time(death, injury etc.) To be clear: I gain no pleasure in any of this. I've tried to prevent accidents/injuries to other employees with awareness. Generally met with hate. Oh well...

quad decade guy

You can enforce safety all the time , yet bad things will still happen !
sad story

Ok. But would you say this was easily preventable? What factors led to this fatality? Hint: there will be many. Very(very) likely disregards for protocol, procedures-most blatantly. And condoned by all.

quad decade guy

If we back to a platform while they are working on it, they direct us from the platform. We are also not allowed to idle or put any air to trailers before receiving the go ahead from a person on the ground.

There is/was absolutely no reason for someone to be guiding a trailer from the ground in that situation.

Ok. But there was. Why?

quad decade guy

The way our ramp guys work, I can't even imagine how this could happen. When the last can goes in they replace the railing immediately and someone comes around to guide you out. They double-check everything.

Very sad situation!

What airport is this? I haven't been to our(one of the biggest in the world) lately, but used to go daily...never had any guidance backing to the deck. You just did it(stopping to open rear swing doors). It was pretty much up to the driver to do everything including securing, lowering/raising rollers etc.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We don't even get out of the tractor. The dock workers open and close the doors and guide us around with light sticks. A supervisor walks up to the cab and gives you your paperwork.

Johney

We don't even get out of the tractor. The dock workers open and close the doors and guide us around with light sticks. A supervisor walks up to the cab and gives you your paperwork.
Yea but don't you have to pull away from the dock to close the doors? You don't get out to see if they lowered the rollers or put the safety bars in so the can can't roll out? I watched a guy(he's an idiot)halls ass everywhere, not check and when he pulled away the can rolled right out onto the ground.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yea but don't you have to pull away from the dock to close the doors? You don't get out to see if they lowered the rollers or put the safety bars in so the can can't roll out? I watched a guy(he's an idiot)halls ass everywhere, not check and when he pulled away the can rolled right out onto the ground.
I always got out of the tractor and did a walk around after pulling off the dock. We had a guy do the same thing here, they had to bring out a forklift for the can.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ok. But would you say this was easily preventable? What factors led to this fatality? Hint: there will be many. Very(very) likely disregards for protocol, procedures-most blatantly. And condoned by all.
I am a shifter at an airport , and there is total chaos there when turning planes , people walking around , tugs & people cutting off a moving feeder and walk right up on your blind spot , a vest helps , but will not save your life if you act stupidly

quad decade guy

I am a shifter at an airport , and there is total chaos there when turning planes , people walking around , tugs & people cutting off a moving feeder and walk right up on your blind spot , a vest helps , but will not save your life if you act stupidly

Ok. But why? Any person could stand/walk around that facility and observe exactly what you see. So, why? Who allows this to happen and who are the people committing such behavior? And why do they think they have to work this way? See? A whole chain of events are involved in accidents/injuries and fatalities. Most "Act of God" events are somewhat preventable also.

You are a shifter....you really should see that guy in California. Stupidly dangerous.

quad decade guy

So, halls butt everywhere. With all respect: did it ever occur to you to talk with him or mgt.? Or tell someone? Even anonymously? For everyone's safety? Even yours? Again, if you can see it....everyone else does too. So, who is condoning it?

Johney

So, halls butt everywhere. With all respect: did it ever occur to you to talk with him or mgt.? Or tell someone? Even anonymously? For everyone's safety? Even yours? Again, if you can see it....everyone else does too. So, who is condoning it?
No it never occurred to me to talk with him or mgt. why, surely they know. SMH.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ok. But why? Any person could stand/walk around that facility and observe exactly what you see. So, why? Who allows this to happen and who are the people committing such behavior? And why do they think they have to work this way? See? A whole chain of events are involved in accidents/injuries and fatalities. Most "Act of God" events are somewhat preventable also.

You are a shifter....you really should see that guy in California. Stupidly dangerous.
There was no excuse for that fatality in CA , pure stupidity on the part of that clown ,, what I have done , is stopped the movement of my trailer at times and gotten out and yelled at Sups and hourly parttimers and refused to move that trailer another inch until such stupid behavior has stopped !! I don't tolerate carelessness around me when moving dangerous equipment, I don't care if the plane leaves late or a feeder leaves late if I stop putting trailers on because of stupidity!! I couldn't live with myself if someone was hit , my fault or not !

quad decade guy

No it never occurred to me to talk with him or mgt. why, surely they know. SMH.

Ok. Fair enough. Do we see a pattern of behavior here? By hourlies and mgt. Which eventually leads to a fatality. Yeah, we all wear vests now but the stupidly dangerous behavior continues. I understand your reasoning. I understand your attitude. I also believe you could tell everyone from upper mgt. to your BA and it would not change. Because I've done so.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ahh another yard accident with fatality. Be careful, you will be abused, belittled and generally made fun of for talking about safety on Brown Cafe.....but then you know this. Lot of hate here.

Now, to your question: obviously not. Bet you a buck-go to any UPS facility, there will widespread abuse of equipment and pure, deliberate, blatant disregard for yard safety.

I go to a medium size hub in California. There is a shifter that drives as fast as that shifter will go in tight, heavily trafficked areas. I mean full throttle. Yes, I will mention it to mgt. as I walk around there. Try the guy first? Nope. Probably just get cussed out and maybe grieved for harassment. But then, he knows exactly how he is driving. The bigger question is: Why? And mgt. knows it. And let's it happen. Why?

I don't go on our yard much anymore. I have been told mgt. is going around giving warning letters for tractor running during post/pre-trip/no vest/ spinning crank handle etc. This is ironically funny as I always tried to remind folks of these things as a member of the safety committee. But was always cussed out etc.(just shrug)(me). It will come around to you in time(death, injury etc.) To be clear: I gain no pleasure in any of this. I've tried to prevent accidents/injuries to other employees with awareness. Generally met with hate. Oh well...
UPS management claims to have a “zero tolerance” policy regarding Yard Control Safety Procedure violations.

Is this “zero tolerance“ policy enforced at your facility?

I have observed this to be a false claim by UPS management, used at times to wrongfully harass individuals when convenient and at other times to cover an accident or death caused directly by lack of routine and regular enforcement/discipline of Yard Control Safety Procedures violations.

IMO
This is intentionally done at UPS to perpetuate the “blame the worker” mentality toward workplace hazards and deaths.

A signed Yard Control Safety Training test does little to change the “Wild West” conduct in UPS Yards.

But the training will be the first thing mentioned when everyone management and hourly alike are saying how stupid and irresponsible the dead guy is for getting himself killed.

Shameful!