Another one bites the dust

FedExRookie

We had a 15+ year courier terminated because he/she couldn't make their flight and there are no open flights due to the weather. The earliest he/she is looking to make it back is 1/09/13.

Edit: that's the rumor, I'm not familiar with the rumored courier.

thedownhillEXPRESS

S
We had a 15+ year courier terminated because he/she couldn't make their flight and there are no open flights due to the weather. The earliest he/she is looking to make it back is 1/09/13.

Edit: that's the rumor, I'm not familiar with the rumored courier.
Sounds like just a rumor.
This company blows don't get me wrong, but I highly doubt this scenario.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
S

Sounds like just a rumor.
This company blows don't get me wrong, but I highly doubt this scenario.

I don't. I have seen several employees fired because they couldn't get back to work after their non-rev flight was full and/or cancelled. One would think FedEx would take WX (weather) delays into account, but they don't have to.

FedExRookie

But what are they being terminated for?
What's the larger picture.
Do they have sick days left, emergency personnel days?
Sounds like there is a lot missing.

I agree, it's cold, i'm stuck here alone eating a large pizza, and decided to post this. It could give away my location, but I was hoping someone on here had some insight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But what are they being terminated for?
What's the larger picture.
Do they have sick days left, emergency personnel days?
Sounds like there is a lot missing.

Maybe, but this is where they nail people. If you are on the "good" list, they will let you take vacation days, floaters etc, but if you are on the "naughty" list, they can terminate you because you failed to report back to work on the scheduled date. I have seen several people canned for this, usually when they try to return from vacation non-rev and the flight is full or cancelled. One would think an exception would be made for the current WX, but this is FedEx after all. They make it up as they go.

Goldilocks

I agree, it's cold, i'm stuck here alone eating a large pizza, and decided to post this. It could give away my location, but I was hoping someone on here had some insight.

So is this about you?

SmithBarney

#1 when missing a flight(learned from from my Jumpseat days) CALL IN SICK. doesn't matter what naughty or nice list you are on, managers have NO leeway on unexcused absences.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
What's that you say?!..you're alone in a cold environment???, eating a LARGE pizza???

I know exactly who you are!!!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Well,
I'm 100% positive you don't work at my location so, that only leaves what? 450 other stations?

Duval Lemoine

Fedex ground is killing all the linehaul contractors. Fedex ground is probably the worse company to work for. Slave drivers, low pay, no consideration at all with those whom have invested their money into buying equipment to serve them. They will own you and treat you as if you were their slave. You will be threatened every day to lose your contract. You don't make any money.

overflowed

Fedex ground is killing all the linehaul contractors. Fedex ground is probably the worse company to work for. Slave drivers, low pay, no consideration at all with those whom have invested their money into buying equipment to serve them. They will own you and treat you as if you were their slave. You will be threatened every day to lose your contract. You don't make any money.
Hey bud? Do you realize you have an unusual name? There are two people in the US with that name. You're getting gangster real quick. Welcome to BC.

CJinx

Did they call ahead and let their manager know ahead of time so they could get coverage? A flight getting canceled isn't your fault but a no-call, no-show definitely is.

I had something similar happen once; my flight got delayed by several hours due to weather, which meant I missed the connecting flight at the next airport. I called and woke up my manager when it became clear that I would not be able to get home in time and they were able to arrange for someone to cover my shift.

5yearsleft

Once you've told your manager what the issue is, you've played your hand and can't use a sick day. My garage door broke one morning & I could not get my vehicle out no matter what I tried. I called my manager right away & explained the problem, he suggested a few things I could try to get the door open (I tried them, but I still couldn't get the door open). So when I called him back, I told him I would just use a sick day. He said I couldn't, because he knew it wasn't really a sick day & it was an unexcused absence. Being honest gets you nowhere!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Did they call ahead and let their manager know ahead of time so they could get coverage? A flight getting canceled isn't your fault but a no-call, no-show definitely is.

I had something similar happen once; my flight got delayed by several hours due to weather, which meant I missed the connecting flight at the next airport. I called and woke up my manager when it became clear that I would not be able to get home in time and they were able to arrange for someone to cover my shift.
Yeah, we know. Model employee. Blah, blah, blah.