any good mnemonics for 5 seeing habits and 10 commentary?

AllOnTheHorses

so I've got a week and a half before I need to recite these word for word (according to my HR guy.. for driver class)

Are there any good ways to remember these? I am just about to start writing them out over and over.. (a painful exercise) .. but maybe there is a better way.

Brown stains

Actually writing them out word for word
Help me learn them easier then just reading the card....I just got a message on my Diad Friday I have till
The end of month to do my dok...haven't done it in 6mths I don't know crap except all good kids like milk

Packmule

These are the ones I invented for myself a few years back. They've never failed me yet.

10 point in two fives:

ONE LOOK COUNTs as a MAINTAINED CHECK.
(One car length
Look left right left
Count 123
Maintain 4 to 6 seconds
Check mirrors

SCAN STALE MAINTENANCE logs before PULLING ESTABLISHED ones.
Scan steering wheels
Stale green lights
Maintain 8 to 12 seconds eye lead
Pulling from curb
Establish eye contact

Key phrases to five seeing habits:

The SAFE path is to STAY BACK and SCAN the UNEXPECTED GAMBLE.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Good luck. I still don't know them, then again, I don't give a....

I would like to see the study that proves this bull has had any effect. Any at all. Are there less accidents now vs the past. Factor in all current equipment such as back up cameras, power steering, etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like to see the study that proves this bull has had any effect. Any at all. Are there less accidents now vs the past. Factor in all current equipment such as back up cameras, power steering, etc.

It will be very difficult to make this comparison as production today is much higher than in past years.

I would hope that you would be at least willing to concede that the DOK material does make sense and that incorporating it in to our daily routines does make us safer drivers.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Actually writing them out word for word
Help me learn them easier then just reading the card....I just got a message on my Diad Friday I have till
The end of month to do my dok...haven't done it in 6mths I don't know crap except all good kids like milk
lol it's the one thing about preload....they used to make us fill out those dok sheets once a week for years before they switched us to reciting it verbally or doing it on computers. The ability to regurgitate dok info became second nature...lol.

oldngray

nowhere special
DOK is a waste of time. If they trimmed it back to the old 5 seeing habits instead of overloading people with unimportant things it might be more effective. And being able to spout back that list periodically doesn't help in real world situations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DOK is a waste of time. If they trimmed it back to the old 5 seeing habits instead of overloading people with unimportant things it might be more effective. And being able to spout back that list periodically doesn't help in real world situations.

I agree that having to know it verbatim is foolish; however, I strongly disagree that the DOK is a waste of time as I know that I apply the principles to my routine on a daily basis and am a safer driver and more efficient worker as a result.

Packmule

Most of the DOK stuff becomes second nature to experienced drivers, professional or otherwise. Regurgitated weekly is pointless, but annually, ok.
Where I really liked having the list is when teaching my kids, or sharing them with nieces, nephews and grand kids when the day comes. At that age, they are NOT second nature.

AllOnTheHorses

thanks all! yeah right now, at this point.. as a tired preloader - offered full time driver position.. I see this as a hurdle to prove how much I deserve/want the position. I started writing them out but feel it was not really getting into my head as it was when just visualizing and memorizing. So I'll follow the advice to learn it in chunks.. and maybe work up a story line to help me along.
I also learned that BigBrown's avatar has something to do with milk !

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It will be very difficult to make this comparison as production today is much higher than in past years.

I would hope that you would be at least willing to concede that the DOK material does make sense and that incorporating it in to our daily routines does make us safer drivers.

I do concede that. When I was trained back in the day, the center manager told me (my safety training), "just don't be stupid", kind of the same advice my Dad gave me when learning to drive. Act stupid and you might get hurt or in an accident.