Any New Firings/Layoffs/News?

bbsam

Staff member
As a matter of curiosity I responded to some posted ads. We got down to benefits and the matter of the advertised healthcare and who pays the premiums. They didn't like being pinned down but finally they said that the employee if they wanted health insurance the premiums would be deducted from their pay.

Helps to explain why I strongly discourage any discharged Express driver from going to work for a Ground contractor. The daily work experience is completely different from what they knew at Express and it is not a pleasant one.
I can’t stress this enough. I DON’T WANT EXPRESS DRIVERS!!!!

They’ve been powdered and pampered for far too long.

bacha29

I don't think it's so much "powdered and pampered" as much as it is the simply reality that the nature of the work at Express is nowhere near as labor intensive.

At Ground they'll steal any piece of motor freight they can grab off the LTL's while the dimension and weight limits are not rigorously enforced. Not surprising given that the liability for an on the job injury falls not on the company but the contractor.

Comes back to what I said earlier about delivering at Ground....the job is a joint killer.

Today you have all these non driving contractors. They're not out there destroying their joints. They just send some other guy out to destroy his. And after he does what's there to pay his medical bills and give him something to try to live on?

Well....nothing.

And it's not necessarily a negative reflection on the contractor. The trouble is that Fat Freddy and all his righteous greed has hacked contractor settlement rates so low that as has been mentioned here leaving some contractors having to give the guy literally everything the route makes just to get him to do it. And therefore the challenge for contractors has and will continue to be finding a guy who can pass a drug test and deliver an exceptional amount of production for an impossibly low rate of pay.

bacha29

Nah. No contractor promises top out pay in 7 years. You get top rate when you walk in the door. Lol.
Just like I said before. What you make the first day you're there is what you make the last day you're there.
It is simply astounding to read these contractor help wanted posts and to see that the majority if not nearly all of them are offering the same money they did upwards of a decade ago.....They're wasting their time.

Mutineer

Today you have all these non driving contractors.

I think plenty of contractors would drive. But with the constant compliance nonsense, false urgencies, wild goose chases, and hoops to jump through (all of which FedEx management cheerfully provides) it's simply not realistic for a contractor to drive anymore.

Mutineer

We had people start the week before we found out people would be let go.

Based upon my experiences with FedEx, I believe that is intentional.

It's almost as if inside FedEx offices everywhere there are high-fiving, back-slapping, sadistic management critters who are brought to orgasm whenever some poor box-donkey discovers sadness and disappointment.

zeev

Contractors in my area are constantly training new drivers or somebody is riding double for the weekly turnover.

Guitarman01

I could also say businesses don't want ground drivers. They are not held to any standard. I got 2 ground drivers floating around on my route in tank tops, they don't even wear the uniform. They dump pkgs all over the place at businesses without even getting a signature. Has upset multiple customers on my rte alone. One delivery was so bad they dumped one random PKG at a business just to be done for the day. I guarantee this isn't what FedEx is shifting too. It will be just enough to pull the wool over your eyes until they pull the rug out from underneath.

bbsam

Staff member
I could also say businesses don't want ground drivers. They are not held to any standard. I got 2 ground drivers floating around on my route in tank tops, they don't even wear the uniform. They dump pkgs all over the place at businesses without even getting a signature. Has upset multiple customers on my rte alone. One delivery was so bad they dumped one random PKG at a business just to be done for the day. I guarantee this isn't what FedEx is shifting too. It will be just enough to pull the wool over your eyes until they pull the rug out from underneath.
They’re already doing it.

So you’re saying that they will go through this charade for several years, pissing off customers, losing market share and then shift course again and make everyone employees?

Why? That makes no sense whatsoever.

bbsam

Staff member
I don’t doubt anything you say.

Also, I don’t care. Pittsburgh and Memphis have chosen to ride this into the Ground. Ok. Have at it.

Maybe when they’re done in a few years they can call up all the stellar Express drivers back.

Gone fishin

I was just approached yesterday about why would a driver leave boxes of what ended up being cigarettes at the back door with no signature or letting no one know about the delivery.
It was a ground driver and the cost was thousands of dollars. What a joke

It will be fine

I was just approached yesterday about why would a driver leave boxes of what ended up being cigarettes at the back door with no signature or letting no one know about the delivery.
It was a ground driver and the cost was thousands of dollars. What a joke
You should tell them that shipping cigarettes is prohibited at FedEx, so they should be happy they showed up at all.

Gone fishin

You should tell them that shipping cigarettes is prohibited at FedEx, so they should be happy they showed up at all.
Ya know , I was thinking that and I’m going to ask him. He said he called Ground about it. I’ll let you know what happens. Either way , nothing should be left at the back door sitting outside. That’s ridiculous

FedupExpress

Every ground
Ya know , I was thinking that and I’m going to ask him. He said he called Ground about it. I’ll let you know what happens. Either way , nothing should be left at the back door sitting outside. That’s ridiculous
Why do They give us so many location options options on the Leo then?

It will be fine

Was this a business or residential? Way out in the sticks or a well travelled alley in a city? Was it sent with signature service required? Lots of factors to consider.