Any other feeder drivers working in the hub?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I am a laid off feeder driver and took the option to work in the hub. There are currently 39 of us laid off from the feeder dept. Our hub makes us unload or load on 2 consecutive sorts if we choose to displace 2 part-timers. Just wondering if other hubs are doing the same. It has already cost 1 driver his job and created a couple of injuries here. Seems like the hub mgmt. is trying to make life as difficult as possible for guys who are just trying to make do with what's been dealt to them.

whiskey

Feeders is a different world. Now your in the real world. A world where UPS is an acronym for "Unrealistic Performance Standards". In this world, you start your work day with a blow to the head with a two by four. And that's everyday. Good luck brother.

Just wondering if other hubs are doing the same. It has already cost 1 driver his job and created a couple of injuries here.
I understand about the injuries, feeder drivers aren't used to the constant physical labor in the unload and too be thrown into make them use muscles they haven't used in a long time.
Please explain how the move inside cost one of the feeder drivers their job?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trp, it's not just feeder drivers who aren't used to the physical part of the unload job. I worked one of our holiday's delivering air and volunteered to work in the trailer and I was exhausted by the time I was done, and that was a light day. As an off-the-street hire, I never worked on the inside but gained a greater appreciation of the work that these kids do for the peanuts that they are paid.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Feeders is a different world. Now your in the real world. A world where UPS is an acronym for "Unrealistic Performance Standards". In this world, you start your work day with a blow to the head with a two by four. And that's everyday. Good luck brother.
Let me set you straight on something here Mr. Whiskey!!!! Your average Feeder driver has been at UPS for about 20 yrs.Thats the average . We have a range of guys where I work that have between 15 & 40 yrs with UPS !! I want to point out to you that these men know about the real world at this company & they don't need to be dissed by some wet nosed young kid such as your self. These guys have loaded ,unloaded,sorted & delivered in the concrete jungle for years,and they earned their position in feeders by doing their time & getting the proper training that goes into that Feeder job.So I suggest from this day on in your career & in life in general ,you think before you speak.Have a good weekend !!!

raceanoncr

Let me set you straight on something here Mr. Whiskey!!!! Your average Feeder driver has been at UPS for about 20 yrs.Thats the average . We have a range of guys where I work that have between 15 & 40 yrs with UPS !! I want to point out to you that these men know about the real world at this company & they don't need to be dissed by some wet nosed young kid such as your self. These guys have loaded ,unloaded,sorted & delivered in the concrete jungle for years,and they earned their position in feeders by doing their time & getting the proper training that goes into that Feeder job.So I suggest from this day on in your career & in life in general ,you think before you speak.Have a good weekend !!!

Geez, cove, you must be talking about ME!!!! As they say, "Been there, done that". Done all the jobs you just listed...maybe a few more.

Got some real low drivers in hub now. Never had bid since been here but they're getting real tired of routine...getting called up only on Fridays, Saturdays, etc.

over9five

Staff member
It's just sad that some 20 year Feeder guys are ending up loading trailers. You gotta expect.....no you have to count on some injuries.

iowa boy

Nice cove, very well said. You guys have earned your positions within the company.

tae111

Lets see. You are a Feeder driver making $29+ per. hour displacing two part timers making $8.50. You are probably older and out of shape. There's no way you are going to perform like a 20 year old. That should make hub mgmt. real happy. Just work at your own pace. Don't get hurt. Don't fight or argue with them. Just do the best you can. Eventually you will probably be put on some job where you won't effect there numbers. Good Luck !

rushfan

Well Said Cove. I've been with us 15 years and have done pretty much everything unload,pre load, hub, package, now feeder. It pisses me off when you get those who think we haven't done anything but drive during our careers at UPS. I laugh thinking that comment came possibly from someone who was still in pampers at pre-school when I started.

10damon

im a laid off package driver thats been working inside. we were paid our drivers rate for a few weeks, but then, without notice, wages were deducted from our checks. unbelievably it gets worse!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

im a laid off package driver thats been working inside. we were paid our drivers rate for a few weeks, but then, without notice, wages were deducted from our checks. unbelievably it gets worse!

This would be worse:

Yes, your life has been disrupted and, yes, you are bringing home a smaller paycheck, but put it in perspective and you will find that you will be just fine.

whiskey

For the record Cove, my seniority date is June, 1977. For the record. I'm saving feeders for when I get old. For the record. Happy Easter!

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Had a change of heart?
No, I haven't had a change of heart. I'm very glad to be working, and the line for my job is growing. Fortunately, I did my 30 in 90 and bumped into a combo position. This is the only way to get out of the trailers on consecutive sorts in our hub. Mgmt. says "it's not in their business plan to give any of us a less labor intensive job on 2nd sort". They are surprised guys are actually sticking it out.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I understand about the injuries, feeder drivers aren't used to the constant physical labor in the unload and too be thrown into make them use muscles they haven't used in a long time.
Please explain how the move inside cost one of the feeder drivers their job?
At the time of layoff you have to state your intentions,(options being 2 sorts, 1 sort or layoff). He decided to take two sorts. You are held to that for the duration of layoff from feeder dept. This driver couldn't do the job and the more they pushed the more he pushed back, eventually resulting in a hearing. After the hearing about his hub performance the feeder manager brought an infraction that he had had in feeders out. The environment was already a hostile environment towards this driver so we couldn't make any deals with labor and they walked him out. When he was brought to hearing the company's stance had not changed. His option were to resign or go to Columbus and risk dicharge for dishonesty. He resigned.

10damon

upstate NY i dont think you get it. you shouldnt really judge without all the facts. is your life being disrupted right now?

some1else

Banned
Let me set you straight on something here Mr. Whiskey!!!! Your average Feeder driver has been at UPS for about 20 yrs.Thats the average . We have a range of guys where I work that have between 15 & 40 yrs with UPS !! I want to point out to you that these men know about the real world at this company & they don't need to be dissed by some wet nosed young kid such as your self.
lol ive heard this speech so many times. whenever i hear it i just say "congrats ur old :)"