Anybody happen to notice gas prices lately !!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What was the name of the subcompact Chevrolet built that was quickly made to get them into small car market after the Fuel Crisis?
I recall that in order to change the oil , one had to remove the engine.
First was the Vega. Later the Chevette. The Vega was an aluminum block with no steel sleeves. Didn't last.

oldngray

nowhere special
First was the Vega. Later the Chevette. The Vega was an aluminum block with no steel sleeves. Didn't last.
The Vega was updated to the Monza but still pretty much the same car. I think the Monza was before the Chevette but don't remember for sure.

Wally

The Vega was updated to the Monza but still pretty much the same car. I think the Monza was before the Chevette but don't remember for sure.
In the 80's GM imported the Sprint, later called the Metro. It was a one liter, 3 cylinder Suzuki that got mpg in the 40's. Extremely lightweight. No way it would be legal to produce now.

Wally

You'll drive EV's if that's the only thing on the market and that's the direction we're headed. This past September I purchased the last gasoline powered new car I expect to buy and will be succeeded by an EV. Why? Because in life change is the only constant.
Plug in a car?
e65.gif

oldngray

nowhere special
In the 80's GM imported the Sprint, later called the Metro. It was a one liter, 3 cylinder Suzuki that got mpg in the 40's. Extremely lightweight. No way it would be legal to produce now.
I knew someone that had a Sprint with the turbo. Not a bad little car. For city driving anyway.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You'll drive EV's if that's the only thing on the market and that's the direction we're headed. This past September I purchased the last gasoline powered new car I expect to buy and will be succeeded by an EV. Why? Because in life change is the only constant.
You don't want change to just happen, you want a radical authoritarian federal government to force change to happen, because it fits your cultish climate change beliefs.

bacha29

Now you're getting it. Vehicle obsolescence combined with increased cost of safety, CAFE and emissions requirements are making EV's viable and eventually a lower cost product. In time the only places where you'll see antiquated gasoline power vehicles are in museums and NAZZKAR.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have never owned anything for myself that got any kind of good mileage at all. My wifes best one was a Honda Accord that got an honest 36 mpg. I tried to talk her into getting another one when it was trade-in time but as usual she never listened to me. She now drives a 2019 Ford Edge that gets about 25 mpg--not a bad SUV but it is a FORD so -- BARF.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have never owned anything for myself that got any kind of good mileage at all. My wifes best one was a Honda Accord that got an honest 36 mpg. I tried to talk her into getting another one when it was trade-in time but as usual she never listened to me. She now drives a 2019 Ford Edge that gets about 25 mpg--not a bad SUV but it is a FORD so -- BARF.
A lot of those underpowered high MPG cars would struggle to get up to freeway speeds. If there was a headwind or a hill? Forget it.

Wally

Now you're getting it. Vehicle obsolescence combined with increased cost of safety, CAFE and emissions requirements are making EV's viable and eventually a lower cost product. In time the only places where you'll see antiquated gasoline power vehicles are in museums and NAZZKAR.
Plenty of fuel. Give me a tank of gas and I'm good.

vantexan

I have no problem driving an electric vehicle as long as it can charge quickly, doesn't limit travel, and can supply amenities like AC and radio. If they can't solve the charging issue I'd be very happy with a hybrid.

rod

Retired 22 years
I still don't see how a totally electric car could provide the heat needed to keep a person comfortable and the windshield defrosted during a normal Mn. winter --and still have enough poop left over to run a car. . Generating heat requires humongous amounts of electricity. EV's might catch on in the far southern states but NEVER in the north unless someone invents a battery that can put out 1500 watts for hours on end. Air-conditioning would be hard enough to provide enough juice to operate for an extended period of time but HEAT is a totally different animal.