Anyone dealing with extreme weather yet?

watdaflock?

Gatlinburg is the hot spot to be at the moment.

hqdefault.jpg

oldupsman

I know we have some big snow storms coming our way. Our drivers keep it moving through the snow. Stay out late at night to finish their routes. Anyone had to deal with weather issues so far? Ever had a snow day while working for UPS?

In my 32 years in package I had a total of 6 snow days. And this was Pennsylvania. I remember more than once being out
in weather that was just plain dangerous.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
In my 32 years in package I had a total of 6 snow days. And this was Pennsylvania. I remember more than once being out
in weather that was just plain dangerous.

Six in PA? You must have worked in south PA. HARPA?

Hell, in my 34 years in PA I only remember one they told us to stay home and a bunch of others they called our pickups late in the afternoon and told us to come in.

Didn't help me, because I was on rural routes with no pickups in the afternoon.

oldupsman

Six in PA? You must have worked in south PA. HARPA?

Hell, in my 34 years in PA I only remember one they told us to stay home and a bunch of others they called our pickups late in the afternoon and told us to come in.

Didn't help me, because I was on rural routes with no pickups in the afternoon.

Eastern Pa. between Philly and Allentown. Happened later in my career than earlier. We had a district manager
in the 90's that had been a driver and actually showed some common sense when it came to bad weather.

rod

Retired 22 years
Delivering in the snow is no fun.

I loved delivering in the snow if it was about 20 or 30 degrees out--especially at night---seriously. It was quiet and if you had a chance you could spin some donuts. I didn't like delivering in 20 below zero weather though---that wasn't any fun.

rod

Retired 22 years
I believe snow days are probably less common in areas that actually get snow.

I can recall only 2 "snow days" in 30 years here and that was only because the State Patrol closed the highways coming out of Mpls so the feeders couldn't get to us. If they could get the packages to us ----we went out. We were NEVER shut down for "cold" weather. One night it got down to 52 BELOW with the high the next day of 32 BELOW --- we worked ( and needless to say we let the trucks run ALL day long). We were all issued 3 cans of HEET per truck to add to the gas that day. Normally we got one can on a winter day. That week the HIGH temperature for the whole week was 12 below.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Eastern Pa. between Philly and Allentown. Happened later in my career than earlier. We had a district manager
in the 90's that had been a driver and actually showed some common sense when it came to bad weather.

Farther north and west than you. The only time I remember being told to stay home for snow was one time my first year, I was covering porter and the hub shut the system down after I had already started work. Eight hours of looking for something to do.