Anyone else get ugly new package cars ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The way it was described to us. If the truck moves whatsoever before the seatbelt is buckled it will know. If the truck is running, or the diad is moving with the bulkhead door open, it knows. And soon it will generate those numbers on a report which we'll start seeing like the ops report, multiple scan, no scan, reports etc....

Telematics is independent of the DIAD.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
How does it send the info?

The information is stored in a computer in the rear of the truck. The buildings will be installing receivers so, as soon as you enter the building the info is downloaded to the center. They know how many corners you have cut before you even walk into the office.

YesYouDidPushAButton

I'm NOT arguing.... Strictly stream of conscience here. But why would they do that when they have a platform capable of this already in place. Seems like they could simply add it to the diad. In fact, I had a thought that maybe thats why they put the barcodes to scan with the diad in the trucks now. Theres more numbers in there than just the truck number, maybe in the future, that is what will link you up with the truck ? It's strictly speculation. It just seems ridiculous to install another proprietary computer in the truck, and have it communicate to proprietary receivers in the center, when the diad communicates on the cellular network, as well as wifi when you're in the center which already has working receivers in place. Seems like the truck could communicate with the diad, transmit the info to it, and the diad could talk to the building during the day or when you arrive as it already does.

CRASH501

These things have been coming in on flatbeds, 3 at a time.. We've got probably 20-30 of them in the center now. The inside is standard ups issue, no fans, a/c, radio, etc. Not that I was epecting anything, but I can hope. Some summer days it's over 100 down here, with humidity approaching 80-90% it's the heat that makes it miserable. I completely saturate several uniforms a day to the point that I'm dripping all over packages. The back of the truck is down right unbearable, people from outside the truck feel the heat when you open the bulkhead door. Than you have the ass hats in the center that can't load the truck right.

They've eliminated the upper grab handle, and only the lower grab handle remains. I almost fell out reaching for the old upper handle. It has the workhorse wheel, seat, dash, etc... They're P-10's, all gas, still using the GM 6.0 motor. Sensors on the rear door, bulkhead door, seatbelt, seat itself, etc.... The new trucks are now actively communicating with the diad. It tallys up every time the truck rolls without a seatbelt on. Going to take some getting used to, since I start the truck, hit the hand brake, pull the seatbelt on and pull away all at the same time.
WELL , that is how we were trained to do it , 1 smoooooooooth seamless motion !

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm NOT arguing.... Strictly stream of conscience here. But why would they do that when they have a platform capable of this already in place. Seems like they could simply add it to the diad. In fact, I had a thought that maybe thats why they put the barcodes to scan with the diad in the trucks now. Theres more numbers in there than just the truck number, maybe in the future, that is what will link you up with the truck ? It's strictly speculation. It just seems ridiculous to install another proprietary computer in the truck, and have it communicate to proprietary receivers in the center, when the diad communicates on the cellular network, as well as wifi when you're in the center which already has working receivers in place. Seems like the truck could communicate with the diad, transmit the info to it, and the diad could talk to the building during the day or when you arrive as it already does.

the DIAD may as well talk to a brick wall

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

They do different things. The one in the truck records GPS and vehicle related information. It's linked to the trucks computer and to a few other sensors. It also sends vehicle locating data. Think Louisville or a major hub where it can take a long time to locate a specific vehicle. The transmission of this data is no cost radio transmission.

The daid records time sensitive delivery data. It costs money to transmit this data by cellular lines.

The data from both systems, along with map data from other sources, is merged to create various reports based upon need/uses.

The telematics software is not proprietary to UPS. They pay a license fee for each unit.

slantnosechevy

What about the camera lense facing the driver thats mounted under the rear camera monitor? Is that a live feed or is the whole day stored on disc for them to reference?

Scoot

I sure am glad I don't have one of these horrible pkg cars. I can't wait to get to work everyday and hop in my 21 yr old stickshift with no power steering, no shoulder belt, poor heat and 2 foot step. I'll pray for you....

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
These things have been coming in on flatbeds, 3 at a time.. We've got probably 20-30 of them in the center now. The inside is standard ups issue, no fans, a/c, radio, etc. Not that I was epecting anything, but I can hope. Some summer days it's over 100 down here, with humidity approaching 80-90% it's the heat that makes it miserable. I completely saturate several uniforms a day to the point that I'm dripping all over packages. The back of the truck is down right unbearable, people from outside the truck feel the heat when you open the bulkhead door. Than you have the ass hats in the center that can't load the truck right.

They've eliminated the upper grab handle, and only the lower grab handle remains. I almost fell out reaching for the old upper handle. It has the workhorse wheel, seat, dash, etc... They're P-10's, all gas, still using the GM 6.0 motor. Sensors on the rear door, bulkhead door, seatbelt, seat itself, etc.... The new trucks are now actively communicating with the diad. It tallys up every time the truck rolls without a seatbelt on. Going to take some getting used to, since I start the truck, hit the hand brake, pull the seatbelt on and pull away all at the same time.
Got a few new P10s here with that nose. But the 3 I checked are on Freightliner chassis.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Hummmmm, last year I ran 230 stops a day in a rental and this year I have been driving the new automatic and have some minor complaints but compared to a rental or old p1000 or p800 i'll take it all day long.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
The lights might not look great but they do work better, if you dont like it you can always ask for any old '88 model... I would bet many drivers would trade in a second.

S

speeddemon

You mean your getting new package cars? We are still running P800s made in the 80s. We have 2 automatics, the rest are older sticks.