Anyone here anything about layoffs??

outamyway

You have to expect layoffs after peak. This is a tradition of UPS to adjust to decreasing volumes. I have heard too about people with less than 5 years senority to expect a cut in the hours they work or being laid off until volume returns.

This is supposed to way worse that your average Christmas hires(there haven't been any in our building)being let go.

They have already dropped quite a few drivers down to preload. Some of those laid off drivers are being used as helpers.

We are expected to layoff a lot of drivers, starting with dropping feeder to package and then package to preload/local sort. Bump, bump, bump.

I still am not sure how this effects air drivers.

outamyway

ups has no idea what kind of spikes that the dhl volume is going to give ups. The number of 4 billion dollars of dhl volume out there, much of that coming to ups. Ups has no idea, but theres talk of layoffs....typical, make huge changes before you even know whats going to happen.Its good business sense to be concerned, but why say this or that before you know anything?

Wait, logic, planning ahead, being prepared, not over reacting? You do know what company you work for right?:wink2:

outamyway

I don't know if I'm out of line, but laying off part-time workers is easier to swallow than laying off full-time drivers. Sending a driver back into preload would be smarter than giving him a pink slip.
Whoever gets laid off anyways is entitled to come back as long as you made seniority

That's what everyone means by laid-off. Full time drivers don't get the can, lowest seniority partimers do.

McGee

well as an ex dhl guy ( 10 yrs gone), oh well, you guys should be sitting pretty when all of the big accounts start really shipping with you...

Hey at least the customer will be taken care of, sucks that we had to look them in the eye and not be able to tell them if we would be there the next day...

New Englander

We have layoffs BUT every center in our state was OVER STAFFED this last bid by 2 drivers!

That came down from the top - they wanted to avoid what happened the peak prior.

So in reality, while we have people on layoff. When I was hired we ran a 25 car plan and a 24 when they cut back. Now we run a 24 car plan and 23 on the cutback five years later.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We lost 6 drivers since March. All 20 year plus. One quit, one went into feeders, 4 retired. No driver layoff issue here, thank goodness.

brown, I think your right about the retirees. Lots of folks who started in the late 70's early 80's are atarting to make the move out of ups, this is probably thousands of pkg and feeder jobs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
well as an ex dhl guy ( 10 yrs gone), oh well, you guys should be sitting pretty when all of the big accounts start really shipping with you...

Hey at least the customer will be taken care of, sucks that we had to look them in the eye and not be able to tell them if we would be there the next day...

you need to get your app. into ups, get your foot in the door and when the economy starts to pickup, you could be driving after a couple of years.Ups could be looking for ex dhl, you never know.

upsers22.3

IN brooklyn people said their laying people with under 2 years of in january
sup are going out with helpers 2 deliver

Last edited:

Hemdazon

last i heard, all the north east bldg managers where told to cut all the inside OT. the sups go around now with printouts of when every1 starts and bang us out at exactly 8 hours, or 5 in the case of PTers. this is hearsay, but i was told by a good guy that a shop stewart sais it might resemble a ghost town in some of these hubs. im not so sure i belive that. that dhl work will be comming in soon.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
last i heard, all the north east bldg managers where told to cut all the inside OT. the sups go around now with printouts of when every1 starts and bang us out at exactly 8 hours, or 5 in the case of PTers. this is hearsay, but i was told by a good guy that a shop stewart sais it might resemble a ghost town in some of these hubs. im not so sure i belive that. that dhl work will be comming in soon.

This company has been stealing time from me. They (management) won't let me punch in on one shift ( a few other people too) which gives them the opportunity to put whatever numbers they want in to payroll. This is a good example of what desperate measures result in; Desperate actions. Is there really any recourse for this? Technically its he-said she said unless I have a steward there everytime I am about to leave!

As far as the time, I'm trying to get compensated for it via another supervisor. I'm not the only one, either. This is becoming quite a game up here!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We're going to have some serious labor issues on subcontracting this "peak
they use subcontracting when they have no one else available. dont think that will be an issue this year?

as for the bump that we will feel when dhl goes under, dont plan on it being a saving grace.

here the benies are paid a month in advance. so if you get laid off, you have 60 days of insurance. after that time you can get on cobra if you have some way of paying for it yourself. but without a job, that is a neat trick...........

This company has been stealing time from me. They (management) won't let me punch in on one shift ( a few other people too) which gives them the opportunity to put whatever numbers they want in to payroll. This is a good example of what desperate measures result in; Desperate actions. Is there really any recourse for this? Technically its he-said she said unless I have a steward there everytime I am about to leave!

As far as the time, I'm trying to get compensated for it via another supervisor. I'm not the only one, either. This is becoming quite a game up here!
They have you start working without punching in? Not me, if I'm working I'm punched in, no exceptions. What if you get hurt working while not being punched in?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I have the idea that with everybody freaking about the economy, UPS is going to have to do something to reassure the stockholders that they are doing everything they can to cut cost.

So they will lay off tons of people to show how on top of it they are, then work everybody else 12 hours a day. And they will get away with it just like they already do with over 9.5 etc.

Biggest mistake they ever did was go public, they don't run the company anymore the stockholders do and they are doing a crappy job of it.

McGee

you need to get your app. into ups, get your foot in the door and when the economy starts to pickup, you could be driving after a couple of years.Ups could be looking for ex dhl, you never know.

Yep, i already do have one in for 2 different centers, and i guess i'll have to play the waiting game, i have a family member that knows a ups driver and he said you gotta be persistent, but how can you be persistent if you can't get anyone from hr's phone number...i actually googled it once and got someone's name, but then got the " How did you get this number?" and then they said to call another dept and i heard nothing ( this was a while back tho)

brownrodster

they use subcontracting when they have no one else available. dont think that will be an issue this year?

as for the bump that we will feel when dhl goes under, dont plan on it being a saving grace.

here the benies are paid a month in advance. so if you get laid off, you have 60 days of insurance. after that time you can get on cobra if you have some way of paying for it yourself. but without a job, that is a neat trick...........

I see about 1 DHL guy in a minivan for every 10 UPS drivers. I rarely even notice a DHL pickup. I doubt any volume we would gain from them would add routes.

UPSGUY72

I'm the the driver with the least senority in my local but atleast I made it to driver this year. I got bump to a different building last this week but Im still driving.

Had a guy with more senority take an in side split job because he didn't want to drive the 50 min to and from one of the other two buildings.

Hopefully with DHL going under in the US things will pick up a little.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
I havent hear anything thing about layoffs at our center. We havent had any peak hires, atleast not on the sort. I did hear about 4 or 5 helpers. We only have 2 or 3 cover drivers that arent going onroad everyday. Theyre working the sort and usually go home, except for Fridays. I also believe were running all the normal routes. Were still getting our 6 to 7 trailors. Hopefully UPS can get atleast 2/3 of the DHL customers.