Anyone seen these package car cameras yet?

34yearpackagehumper

Long rant.

I believe these cameras will cause more safety issues than what UPS believes they are intended for.

Lets face it, these are the facts, UPS drivers are some of, if not the....very best trained operators on the road. Given our number of operators of vehicles, and miles driven, in almost every conceivable condition, our safety record is and HAS BEEN very good.

We don't need a camera in our face, the SOLE PURPOSE of these cameras, is to CONSTANTLY monitor the driver since telematics and EDD still has not given them enough satisfaction and BS unrealistic results.

UPS is CLUELESS on the worlkoad of the delivery driver over the last 10 years. Constantly we have been berated with tiny details of why we did something completely irrelevant to getting the job done faster because they have shoved 30%+ more work on us and cannot figure out why we are struggling, they still feel they need to tell us what our 1st stop is.

I think the UPS delivery driver has gone from someone who holds a position that they could easily say maybe 1 out of 10 people could do our job, to pretty much a superhero.

There are many dynamics at play, simply performing your job, methods and procedures, being safe, and keeping the public safe, keeping this flowing smoothly being the human element requires a great deal of focus.

So here's my thinking.....When you now take into consideration what UPS likes to use (which is anything) for discipline that now involves a camera which will CONSTANTLY video the driver, this knowledge the driver now has they they are being videoed for the full duration of their shift will IMO negatively affect their ability to draw their focus to the larger bubble around the vehicle, to what's going on inside the vehicle. The driver will naturally want to protect themselves in regards to job security. This is the issue, what we have always done to be aware of our surroundings, make sound and quick judgement calls, will likely be highly affected by trying to make sure we always...."look good on camera". Mark my words, this will become very evident as soon as other drivers begin receiving word that their fellow co-workers are being disciplined.

I will say with absolute certainty, that I will reach for a water bottle, scratch my head, wipe the sweat, anything that shows my hand off the wheel for a moment in which case I still NEVER lose focus or control of my vehicle.....but it won't look like this to a camera....and will be something UPS will use as a "distraction".

Hey UPS, your stock is up because of the extra work we do coupled with Covid, and the fact the driver NATURALLY GOES ABOVE AND BEYOND to give you this.....however you WILL be taking this extra EDGE we provide down a notch or two.

Anyone who thinks for one second these cameras DON'T record constantly are in for a surprise.

I'm fine with a camera looking out, should help with proving the other driver at fault if any incident occurs. UPS has now taken the investment (trained driver) they require to keep the company moving at the pace they want, and forced them into more of a self-preservation mode and the performance will likely show.

UPS has the edge, the well-trained delivery driver that very few can replicate, and they are now turning on them more than ever.
You have said a mouthful but all true. I started as a PC Driver in the late 70's with a clipboard and way to much work. However I always got the job done. They keep adding Tech stuff to watch you more and more. It's just delivering packages right ! Now you have got to wonder if that camera is watching you . Which is a distraction within it's self. I wonder how the teamsters feel about this ?

34yearpackagehumper

Can't go many places anymore where you aren't being recorded and/or watched. Cab just joined the list.

Glad I'm retired. Wonder if someone is watching me in the recliner?
I'm with you on that . So far it's been a good place to retire from . That pension is nice but we truly earned it. They say "big brother" is always watching . I think UPS has taken it to another level with these in cab cameras. It's another tool they can use to harass you with. I wonder what's next ?

Staydryitsraining

I'm not understanding you're questioning. The definition is clear in the language. So why would it need to be approved by the Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change?

Were Cradles negotiated? They change our jobs more than a Camera.
The companies postion is that it is an extension of tmatics. This is false and that's why they are saying it didn't need to be approved. Either you didn't know that or based on your response you need to put you in the paperwork to sit in that ac.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I'm not understanding you're questioning. The definition is clear in the language. So why would it need to be approved by the Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change?

I hate the semantics of this because cameras do truly change work more than they do cradles.
This is where all the implicit assumptions become taboo and are never addressed as per psychological civil law.

bumped

The cradles don't have any effect on my job. I haven't used it ever. Mine hasn't worked in over a year.