Anyone unhappy they Retired? Or are YA HAPPY?

35years

Gravy route
Just a precautionary tale...
My father in law retired 22 years ago at 55, his wife didn't work.
They had inherited 1.2 million.
He figured he would only live another 15 years tops because of heart problems and family history.
Their investment adviser encouraged them to live it up.
They traveled to Europe several times, down to Florida and Vegas 3-4 times a year.
They ate out every night.
They purchased a new home on a river...Nothing that fancy but sunk an additional 100k into it for renovations.

Fast forward 20 years (two years ago)...Sold the house for a loss, and moved into an apartment. A few serious health scares really dwindled the savings.

They now scrape by. Gone is their plans to help the grand-kids get through college. Gone are the evenings out for dinner, and travel.

Do they regret not being more frugal over the last 22 years?
Yes

Going through the money can make the last years of your life extremely difficult. No one has regrets until the money is tight.

rod

Retired 22 years
He figured he would only live another 15 years tops because of heart problems and family history.
They traveled to Europe several times, down to Florida and Vegas 3-4 times a year.
They purchased a new home on a river...Nothing that fancy but sunk an additional 100k into it for renovations.

Fast forward 20 years (two years ago)...Sold the house for a loss, and moved into an apartment. A few serious health scares really dwindled the savings.

They now scrape by. Gone is their plans to help the grand-kids get through college. Gone are the evenings out for dinner, and travel.

Yes

Going through the money can make the last years of your life extremely difficult. No one has regrets until the money is tight.

Should have had a better financial adviser. Theirs sucked. My first question would be "why would you think you had to help the grandkids through college"? My second thought would be "if you like to gamble a financial adviser isn't for you---you'll just piss it away anyway". My third thought is "you are now entering your late 70's---time to rein it in a little anyway.

Shiftless

Another tale of self infliction

My buddy retired at 49 like I did
Got a golden parachute to leave his job (I didnt)
House was paid for and worth 1.3M
On top of that had about 1.5 in monies/investments (not including the very large parachute)
Already had a Pantera, and other cool cars.
Single! No kids!

Then investment choices bit him in the can!

He started day trading (telling me come join in on these stocks/investments!)
"Nah, I will stick with my plan"

That worked its way down to penny stocks (penny stocks can make a killing you should do it!)
"Thanks for the offer but I'm deep in my plan so no thanks"

Then to maxed out credit cards ( a holes wont lower my annual % rate they dont understand I cant pay that)
" Bummer Dude!"

Finally lost his house (I should have listened to you he says)
" I say, sorry for your loss"

Now rents and lives in a bedroom and only income is SS taken at 62. BUT, he has kitchen privileges. Has aged him to look as tho he is in his late 70's and he just turned 63 WTF!

Indecisi0n

Yes

But that goes both ways. Would you rather have the time of your life while your young and healthy or die old with money? I get there is always between areas for both of these but you get where I am going. I say spend and be happy while your young but of course start IRA'S, 401'S and have some savings. So now at least when you retire you'll have IRA, 401, social security and pension. Then you can tighten up and just coast out the rest of your life sitting on the porch watching the grandkids running around.

Shiftless

But that goes both ways. Would you rather have the time of your life while your young and healthy or die old with money? I get there is always between areas for both of these but you get where I am going. I say spend and be happy while your young but of course start IRA'S, 401'S and have some savings. So now at least when you retire you'll have IRA, 401, social security and pension. Then you can tighten up and just coast out the rest of your life sitting on the porch watching the grandkids running around.

I agree! Life is worth living, just have a plan to do it.

rod

Retired 22 years
have . I say spend and be happy while your young but of course start IRA'S, 401'S and have some savings. So now at least when you retire you'll have IRA, 401, social security and pension. Then you can tighten up and just coast out the rest of your life sitting on the porch watching the grandkids running around.

You forgot to add ----in your underwear

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

Yes

you're lookin at it in the wrong perspective. sounds like they had a good 20 plus years of living life to the fullest. that's more than 99% of the people out there.

35years

Gravy route
you're lookin at it in the wrong perspective. sounds like they had a good 20 plus years of living life to the fullest. that's more than 99% of the people out there.
Its not my take on it, but their take. I just thought I should share their experience.

Personally I grew up extremely poor. Definitely don't value money much, or what it can buy.

I am so grateful for all the blessings I have been given. A beautiful wife and kids, and mostly for the gifts of faith, hope and love from our awesome God.

The Milkman

I retired just over 10 years ago at 55, spent most of my 401K $$ enjoying life while still young and healthy. Now approaching 66 I have my pension and SS to keep me happy, if something happens to me in the near future as well of all of us are going to, I would have no regrets of spending down my my hard earned $$$ on things that in life made me happy. I cannot take it with me and I enjoy looking back at my RV trip pictures and video's more so than looking at bank statements. You can be miserable in a mansion or happy as can be living in a cardboard box under a bridge. I feel blessed as can be, regardless if I have a lot or just enough to get by as my needs are met daily

Shiftless

I retired just over 10 years ago at 55, spent most of my 401K $$ enjoying life while still young and healthy. Now approaching 66 I have my pension and SS to keep me happy, if something happens to me in the near future as well of all of us are going to, I would have no regrets of spending down my my hard earned $$$ on things that in life made me happy. I cannot take it with me and I enjoy looking back at my RV trip pictures and video's more so than looking at bank statements. You can be miserable in a mansion or happy as can be living in a cardboard box under a bridge. I feel blessed as can be, regardless if I have a lot or just enough to get by as my needs are met daily

Exactly, its all about choices.
There is no one specific plan that works for everyone's needs and desires!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I have always been a walking contradiction . In life and now in retirement . Hearing advice and stumbling around and not taking most of it . I am doing everything I said I wouldn't do .
I'm like 35 Years , I am so grateful for what I have . No matter what , I look around , I have come out on top in spite of myself . Thank You God .

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you spent your 401k in 10 years?

that scares me. i've spent my working life saving and now we can spend it and we don't. have no wants really. enjoyin the hell out of retirement.

almost everyday can't believe we can do whatever we want, go wherever we want, buy anything we want.

but it is the simple things that make life so nice. a hot cup of coffee in the morning. a fire in the woodstove to heat the house, a walk with the dogs , a picnic lunch at the park, a drive out to the woods, a nice quiet dinner and maybe watching a classic movie on the tube.

counting our blessings.

The Milkman

you spent your 401k in 10 years?

that scares me. i've spent my working life saving and now we can spend it and we don't. have no wants really. enjoyin the hell out of retirement.

almost everyday can't believe we can do whatever we want, go wherever we want, buy anything we want.

but it is the simple things that make life so nice. a hot cup of coffee in the morning. a fire in the woodstove to heat the house, a walk with the dogs , a picnic lunch at the park, a drive out to the woods, a nice quiet dinner and maybe watching a classic movie on the tube.

counting our blessings.

Well I do have some left but at age 66 what is the average life expectancy?? I enjoy my coffee in the morning, reading the paper, still use our Rv, enjoy watching people in Jersey digging out from snow storms on the Weather Channel LOL.
I saved to enjoy while I could still enjoy myself, no fun having someone pushing you in a wheelchair at National Parks or not being able to go hiking, but someday all of us will slowly slow down and look back with a smile on our faces knowing that we lived, loved and laughed. My wife and I both retired at a younger age than most. Time is the one thing none of us can buy, so we chose to not worry about $$$. We sleep well every night knowing that at one time we had nothing, but now have something that many people don't have. Health, a nice home, steady income and each other. The gray hairs keep coming, and in due time our batteries will lose their charge, and if we waited till then...............we would've missed all the things we done while we still had life in our batteries. We all are blessed to have a defined pension. Whether in good shape or not, they are going away in the future, we will all be long gone by that time and people will read about them and wonder what happened? How could someone retire in their early 50's? many nowadays work till 66 or even longer, and limp out the door with not a lot of time left on this orb we live on. 1952-??? I want my dash between the years on earth to be spent not worrying about $$$ or anything else, all the years at UPS worrying and running 10-11 hours a day make me appreciate my time more than ever, I could care less if I spend all my 401K money, I still am doing fine, I certainly don't want anyone else spending my $$$ that I busted my butt for. Being content is what life is all about, and both the wife and I are blessed to feel that way

Well I do have some left but at age 66 what is the average life expectancy?? I enjoy my coffee in the morning, reading the paper, still use our Rv, enjoy watching people in Jersey digging out from snow storms on the Weather Channel LOL.
I saved to enjoy while I could still enjoy myself, no fun having someone pushing you in a wheelchair at National Parks or not being able to go hiking, but someday all of us will slowly slow down and look back with a smile on our faces knowing that we lived, loved and laughed. My wife and I both retired at a younger age than most. Time is the one thing none of us can buy, so we chose to not worry about $$$. We sleep well every night knowing that at one time we had nothing, but now have something that many people don't have. Health, a nice home, steady income and each other. The gray hairs keep coming, and in due time our batteries will lose their charge, and if we waited till then...............we would've missed all the things we done while we still had life in our batteries. We all are blessed to have a defined pension. Whether in good shape or not, they are going away in the future, we will all be long gone by that time and people will read about them and wonder what happened? How could someone retire in their early 50's? many nowadays work till 66 or even longer, and limp out the door with not a lot of time left on this orb we live on. 1952-??? I want my dash between the years on earth to be spent not worrying about $$$ or anything else, all the years at UPS worrying and running 10-11 hours a day make me appreciate my time more than ever, I could care less if I spend all my 401K money, I still am doing fine, I certainly don't want anyone else spending my $$$ that I busted my butt for. Being content is what life is all about, and both the wife and I are blessed to feel that way
Haven't seen you around in awhile. How you been?

The Milkman

Haven't seen you around in awhile. How you been?

Been around Gums, just been busy spending my $$$ LOL, just bought the boss a massage chair for her birthday which was today, new living room set, now new carpet, house getting painted etc etc, so been kinda busy but I still get on from time to time to read the headlines or complaints. Life has been good, working on a surprise 25th wedding anniversary for the boss, flying in folks from Jersey & Texas for 4-3. Trying to do things behind her back secretly has been a challenge LOL. Met her when on route back in 86. Got married in 93 so life goes on, the clock keeps tickin, the earth orbits everyday and if I wake up I am happy LOL

The Milkman

My father recently turned 90 and I have an aunt that turned 98. Both still live at their respective home's although they don't travel much anymore. I try to visit with my dad a few times a week.

If I live that long I would hope to have my senses still intact. My aunt and uncles lived into their upper 80's so you never know do we? Love talking to old timer's especially WW2 vets

Been around Gums, just been busy spending my $$$ LOL, just bought the boss a massage chair for her birthday which was today, new living room set, now new carpet, house getting painted etc etc, so been kinda busy but I still get on from time to time to read the headlines or complaints. Life has been good, working on a surprise 25th wedding anniversary for the boss, flying in folks from Jersey & Texas for 4-3. Trying to do things behind her back secretly has been a challenge LOL. Met her when on route back in 86. Got married in 93 so life goes on, the clock keeps tickin, the earth orbits everyday and if I wake up I am happy LOL
I'm glad things are going well for you.