Anyone unhappy they Retired? Or are YA HAPPY?

twoweeled

You can also take it at 62 , invest the money in the Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund( or something else, real estate ,whatever) , reinvest the dividends, and perhaps do better than Uncle Sam. Plus you have the money if you need it instead of waiting 8 years.

anyway, that is what we are planning to do since we get along pretty well on the pension. haven't even touched the 401k yet in the 2 years I have been out.
That's another option to consider. I'm just so sketchy on the market right now, but that's another subject. That is like $75K for the 3 years, if I decided to wait for an extra $600 (ish) a month? Not chump change. New truck?
Good Ideas to consider.

twoweeled

was a peak driver one season and then 5 months later they hired me FT. for feeders.

FUH
171-0501094832-surprised-face.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's another option to consider. I'm just so sketchy on the market right now, but that's another subject. That is like $75K for the 3 years, if I decided to wait for an extra $600 (ish) a month? Not chump change. New truck?
Good Ideas to consider.

Keep in mind that the SS would be considered income.

oldupsman

You are the only one who must have a guarantee to live past 65...........Congrats!! By the time we were 65 we had 3 years of $$$ from SS
You can also take it at 62 , invest the money in the Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund( or something else, real estate ,whatever) , reinvest the dividends, and perhaps do better than Uncle Sam. Plus you have the money if you need it instead of waiting 8 years.

anyway, that is what we are planning to do since we get along pretty well on the pension. haven't even touched the 401k yet in the 2 years I have been out.

Well that's the point. There is no right or wrong answer. You make the decision that best fits your needs and or wants. I'm very happy with my decision.

I did retire at 55, 4.5 years ago. It was going to be great! Creativity on the someday projects. Fixing on the house. Great for 6 months---then the Mother in law at 89 became ill and blind, her intellectually deficient 70 year old daughter ill too. ER visits, doctor visits, lab test, cooking, appointments. Step dad ill in hospitals, nursing home. Both died within 5 days. Funerals. Stuff. Calm another 5 months.
Now my 82 year old Mother had heart attack--5 hospitalizations in 2016, pills, appointments. This year broken arm (living with us) with rehab, pills, bathing, cooking, exercise. Then replaced her knee, hospital, rehab. Living with us. Husband and I have our own doctor appointments, prescriptions etc
Somedays I wish for the distraction of work. Expectations versus reality. Tough to accept.

rod

Retired 22 years
I deliver to our local SS office and am planning on taking advantage of that relationship by asking them for their advice in regard as to when I should start taking it.

How stupid can you be? They will of course tell you to wait until you are 70----they tell everyone that.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How stupid can you be? They will of course tell you to wait until you are 70----they tell everyone that.
Like the people that get mad because they have to start taking withdrawals from their IRAs and 401Ks at 70 1/2. Use the money to enjoy retirement, not leave it for your thieving offspring.

rod

Retired 22 years
Like the people that get mad because they have to start taking withdrawals from their IRAs and 401Ks at 70 1/2. Use the money to enjoy retirement, not leave it for your thieving offspring.

I wouldn't call my heirs "thieving offspring' quite yet but they do see me spending their inheritance on new toys ---for me. They can have my used stuff when I'm gone.

The Milkman

I wouldn't call my heirs "thieving offspring' quite yet but they do see me spending their inheritance on new toys ---for me. They can have my used stuff when I'm gone.

Spend it while still breathing. Otherwise others will, thanks to all the ball bustin you did at Big Brown

moreluck

golden ticket member
I envision Waterford crystal going for $1.00 at a garage sale because they won't know what it is.

rod

Retired 22 years
I envision Waterford crystal going for $1.00 at a garage sale because they won't know what it is.

That's how my Dad collected all his treasures. Estate auctions and rummage sales. Actually thanks to Ebay most of what used to be "collectable' is now a dime a dozen.

twoweeled

Spend it while still breathing. Otherwise others will, thanks to all the ball bustin you did at Big Brown
So correct! We did go through a lot at the job, but it should be paying off for us now. I just always seem to have it in the back of my mind; Don't run outta money! But I guess if I'm 95, who cares?

The Milkman

So correct! We did go through a lot at the job, but it should be paying off for us now. I just always seem to have it in the back of my mind; Don't run outta money! But I guess if I'm 95, who cares?

With SS and our pension we should at least be able to feed our sorry butts till we croak, and yes by our 80's if we make it that long, we can tell others to KMA.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
:clap:oh so very happy. In a couple hours I will be drinking beer that ive learned to make and eating pizza from the pizza oven ive built. I would never have had the time to enjoy life like this while working a 12 hr day. In fact, I'm gonna go have that beer now! cheers

twoweeled

:clap:oh so very happy. In a couple hours I will be drinking beer that ive learned to make and eating pizza from the pizza oven ive built. I would never have had the time to enjoy life like this while working a 12 hr day. In fact, I'm gonna go have that beer now! cheers
I learned to make pizza a few years ago. DAMN!! The dough and all. Gorgonzola cheese, sun dried tomatoes and good mozzarella cheese. I was like a meth addict! Gained weight like nobody's biz! TANGENT ALERT!!!!!!
Point is, don't learn to make your own pizza. Sorry